Newbies must be anoying haha but we sorry

Discussion in 'New Members' started by nepellew, 18 Oct 2010.

1. nepellew

nepellew

hi guys i have just started my new salt water quest i have a standard filter that came with the tank and a resun sk-05 skimmer would you guys please tell me what i can put in the tank fish wise,how much live rock , corals ,anenomes and what i need to to in order to make the fish happy thanks again peeps my fish tank is a juwel Rekord 600. 63L if u want to put it in google and there is a website thanks or just look on my profile thanks guys

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Sorry to say this but you find it hard to keep a tank like that healthy in the long term unless you are very disciplined on water changes and do not stock with a lot of stuff. You would also have to upgrade the lighting before you can keep any corals.

Is this a brand new tank or is it an older freshwater setup with a new skimmer? Unfortunately the skimmer is not worth much and might not be very effective.

Just a few pointers if you do want to run the system as you have it currently. Since it is only 60L you will have to look at nano fish. Nothing that gets bigger than say 7.5cm. And then only about 3-4 fish. With the 2 15W lights that you have currently you will not be able to keep coral alive long term. Not even low light corals. Anemonies are not an option as they require intense light. The only anemone that could survive under lower light is the bubble tip anemone. But you dont have enough light for it so you cant keep that either. At the moment your tank will only be suitable as a fish only setup. You dont need anemonies to keep clown fish happy. Most clowns these days are tank bread and have no idea what an anemone is.

Sorry to sound so grim but you dont want to go out and spend huge amounts of money on livestock just to have them die,

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i recall responding to anothe one of your threads.
    this is the third thread youve started asking pretty much the same questions.

im certain this question has been answered in the other other thread as well.

5. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

k kewl

K so what would i need to do to this tank just to keep a coral and i am def gnna keep to my routien water changes and all the rest i only have one hobby this and have no gf haha so im committed haha :razz:

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I would say first step is to upgrade your lights. Can you see any way of removing the existing 2 tubes and replacing them with 2-4 24W T5 tubes. They are around 60cm in length. This would enable you to keep a wide variety of corals apart from the light demanding ones. If you cant fir the T5 then you might want to look at PL tubes. They are the same wattage but half the size since they are sort of folded in half.

7. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

k

So what else should i consider for the futuer and what would i need to make this tank work upgrading the lights is that just good enough for corals or can i add a anene

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

first, please re-read or post before you click on submit. A spelling mistake or 2 is ok, but I'm not the young generation that can see the correct word behind some obscure spelled word.

Anene ??? Anemone???
    NO
    Not in that tank. Never.
    Well maybe some advanced guys can do it, but I will not even go that route.
    Reasons, Your lights will not be enough. Well maybe with a modification with at least 3 PL lights.

Water flow is not efficient. Adding more internal pumps just increases the changes of the anemone getting sucked into that internal pump and being ripped to shreds.

Skimmer might be OK.

Also what do you mean with "standard filter"? Do you refer to the back part of tank that house the filter compartment, with filter wool, skimmer and return pump? That will not be enough filtration capabilities to keep your phosphates and nitrates to zero. (Maybe with 20% water changes)

Also, anemones can become big, and even your smallest needs 10 to 15cm space from its center. So that is 20 to 30cm across. Basically taking all the prime space in a 60L unit.Placing pumps around it in a way as to not directly blow on it or not to pull in its tentacles will be a challenge.

Lastly, anemones needs good established tanks. At least 8 months old is always adviced.

But you have plenty of other options available, including nice zoa's and other softies.

Keep in mind that most of your limiting factors I mentioned above will prevent you form keeping SPS corals. Some LPS could be fine under your lights. You need to do your homework before you buy.

9. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

sorry about the spelling

Thanks a ton for the help I am going to add one more pump for water movement so my filter won’t be enough 1 x Pump Set Bioflow 280 4.5watts and if not what filter should I look to changing it, I was planning on doing 20% water changes every two weeks that should be fine I was just planning on doing a nano tank and seeing how it goes I have had fresh water tanks before and never had a problem ,I am in the future going to get a bigger tank but for now just was finding out info about running this tank and not have too many problems , I understand I won’t be able to keep a Anemone but in order to keep a coral what I need I’m not sure of the different corals out there I was just planning on keeping fish tank setup and after a while put some colour in my tank so what do you suggest if you could please just give me a run down on what I need to change and what I can keep I’m not trying to save money haha just don’t have much space in my room thanks again for the reply ,,;)

10. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Thanks a ton for the help I am going to add one more pump for water movement so my filter won’t be enough 1 x Pump Set Bioflow 280 4.5watts and if not what filter should I look to changing it, I was planning on doing 20% water changes every two weeks that should be fine I was just planning on doing a nano tank and seeing how it goes I have had fresh water tanks before and never had a problem ,I am in the future going to get a bigger tank but for now just was finding out info about running this tank and not have too many problems , I understand I won’t be able to keep a Anemone but in order to keep a coral what I need I’m not sure of the different corals out there I was just planning on keeping fish tank setup and after a while put some colour in my tank so what do you suggest if you could please just give me a run down on what I need to change and what I can keep I’m not trying to save money haha just don’t have much space in my room thanks again for the reply ,,

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Instead of copying and pasting your entire last post you can simply write the word "BUMP".

12. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

haha

Oh k sorry new at this forum thing never use forums before haha

Bump

now i know thanks:whistling:

13. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

bump

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Another thing about forums dude. Not everyone are on 24 hours a day. And at night it is very quiet on the forums. It might take a few hours and sometimes a day before someone answers your questions. There are so many threads that people read that it is impossible to get to everyone within a short period of time.

But to get to your questions... I am not sure where on this forum the articles relating to these topics are but please find and read up on the following.

All water parameters in a tank. PH, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium etc. Read on what they do to a tank and why they are important. They are all related to each other and by changing one it could cause others to change as well. You need to keep the balance/ratio between these elements as well.

Do a search on the forum for cycling. It is very important to cycle the tank. There is also a filtration dub forum where all the different tyopes of filtration methods get discussed. See which one will fit best in your tank since you can see and know the design of the tank.

Waterflow inside the aquarium is very important as well. Pumps used for flow on the inside of a tank is different to pumps used to pump water from the return chamber/ filter chamber back into the tank.Some corals like low flow and others like huge amounts of water movement. You get laminar flow and chaotic flow. In reef tanks we want chaotic flow. Laminar flow is flow in a single direction. This type of flow is not good in marine tanks. Determine what type of corals you would like to keep. This will also help when it comes to deciding on what amount of light you need inside the tank.

Recent Posts