newbiee marine tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Nabzo, 7 Apr 2014.

1. Nabzo

Nabzo

hi one and all im from JHB

im new in to this and i enjoy watch fish with all the beautifull colours

i want to start a new marine tank a small one i have had a look around and i found a liking in the Dymax IQ5 i just like that tank and want to put two clown fish and a nice size live rock or dead rock in it

maybe from the fellow members on this fourm can maybe guide me and give me some tips ,

i see pets VIP in northgate is selling the Dymax IQ5 fro like R1400 its a 13L thank with Filter and light etc .....

i would like to know as marine tanks have salt water do you buy the salt water or can you make ur own

and i seen some people that have like white sand in there tanks that is quite nice to have ,,

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Immo

Immo

masahello

4. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

Thank you

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

masahello

I would suggest an Aquaria 120l tank (or its smaller sister the 37l).
    Should give you more choice in terms of stock than the 13l tank.
    @Aquaria-SA is a sponsor on the forum, he can also give you more info on the Aquaria tanks :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Chris B

Chris B

Welcome Nabzo....this is addictive!!!

7. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

Thank you will have a look in to it
    @chris i know looking at all the beauty i just wana buy everything lol

8. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

Does the aquaria 37L come with the pump filter and lights ?
    By any chance do you know the price ?

9. Chris B

Chris B

Just shop wisely and listen to the advice on this forum or you will find yourself spending foolishly

10. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

Yeah i dont wana spend much now i just wana start off small then slowly grow bcz currently temptation just wants me to buy a big one lol.

I still have a lot to learn

11. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

The 37l has a hood with 2 PC T5 tubes (white and blue) as well as moon lights. In terms of filtration, it has a rear 3 chamber system which water flows from the skimmer to a mini refugium (has its own light) and then to the return pump into the tank.

Good thing about this tank is that it has a hood to prevent fish from jumping out BUT it also gets really hot in the warmer months.

It is a great starter tank IMO and know of several people that had these when starting up.

It is about R2000 (can check the specials out here: Aquaria Specials Thread - Page 12 - Marine Aquariums South Africa )

12. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

from what i read and what the tank has looks like its good value for money hope the special still on as as they say he also give some live rock . im trying not to spend way to much for a start up . i just wana take it slow like i explained in my first post i want to put like 2 clown fish and a live or dead rock but live rock will be better giving more beauty ..

13. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

:welcometomasa2:

IMHO, it's easier to make mistakes in a smaller tank than a slightly larger one. For example slightly over dosing in a 20litre tank will have a bigger effect than slightly over dosing in a 200 litre tank. parameters are less stable in a smaller tank. I've been through collecting info about starting up recently. If you are diligent with taking care of your tank and don't mind spending a little more, I recommend starting with something slightly bigger. Maybe a Boyu TL-series or a JBJ nano.

I don't say starting with the dymax can't be done, but you will very soon be upgrading anyways :whistling:

Do lots and lots of research before you start. and once you've done your research. Do some more ;)

Remember, not all people at the Pet Shop know what they are talking about.

14. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

Yip thats true I have made my mind up mayb getting the AMW37 I email the guy waiting to see price hope I can get it for good price

15. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

I shall be purchasing tank this weekend and my Nemo

Now what rock should I buy and what coral ?

16. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Live rock. You get them originating from different places and all are different prices.

Where are you getting your clown fish from if I may ask

17. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I hope you are doing research as to cycling your tank and so on.

18. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi Nabzo,

I know you are excited to start your tank but please do not add fish until your tank has finished cycle. During the cycle nitrites and ammonia are released that is harmful for the fish. This will most likely result in their death and if they survive, a very painful few months until the water conditions are right for them to survive (and might end up with whitespot). This will also cost you in terms of loss of stock and money wasted trying to fix things up (additives for water, medication for whitespot etc).

Here is a good link on the nitrogen cycle:
    Nitrogen Cycle - an easy to understand diagram - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Important to note (as it is not mentioned in the link) is that when you add live rock to the tank a cycle can occur if the rock has been transported in a newspaper. This is because the micro-organisms in the rock die off causing a nitrogen cycle to begin once the rock is in the water.

There are ways to "super cycle" your tank but as you are new, I would suggest taking it slowly so that you learn about the equipment you have (the function of a skimmer, dsb, refugium) and the nitrogen cycle so that you are familiar with the basics before tackling livestock.

Some very important points for stocking your tank:
    1. Make sure that nitrites and ammonia does not register before adding fish/corals. Most likely will take 4 to 6 weeks for no readings to register. DON'T add anything in this period, I have seen many new tanks crash because of this and then forums, pet stores, mothers, fathers and ancillary family members get blamed.

2. Add your clean up crew (CUC) first. This will help establish a bioload as you will have to feed them (small amounts of food) to sustain them.

3. After a week from adding the CUC AND they survive, you can add fish and coral. Since it is a smaller tank, I would add only one fish at a time (i.e. one a week). Three fish is probably the maximum you can add to that tank. Please research the fish that you want to keep as not all fish can be housed in that tank (e.g. tangs are a definite No).

4. When you have to top up the tank water, do not add salt water. Buy RO from a pet store. Don't use tap water...too many reasons to mention why not.

Hope this helps, please ask any questions where you are not sure :)

Ebi Omer and Nabzo like this.
  19. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

Hmm. Interesting I think I will hang on with buying the fish I will just buy the live rock and that whit sand don't know the correct name for that gravel .. Thank you for info

20. Nabzo

Nabzo Thread Starter

@Ebi Omer at my LFS I'm going to buy but not now. They say they have very small ones for me and that's what I'm looking for but now I will buy it after a few weeks.

21. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

You can buy play sand or aragonite. The aragonite also has a "live sand" option, expensive but cycles your tank quicker. I would rather go for the normal aragonite and add a product called "special blend" to help build up the good bacteria.
    Just beware, special blend has a truely "special" smell :lol:

Make sure that you rinse the substrate out properly before adding ;)

Recent Posts