Newbie!

Reaction score
HI All

I am very new to this hobby.

I only have a 37L nano tank. that has been cycling for 3 weeks now.
I was told after 3 weeks i can test all parameters and maybe even add a shrimp and 2 clown fish, but from what i read, that doesn't sound quite accurate.

I have added live sand and a couple of artificial rock and coral just so that i don't stare at an empty tank during the cycling process.

I went to LFS to get water parameters tested yesterday and everything was well below acceptable range.

I have noticed a lot of brown algae building up.

And will definitely post some pictures later.

I am open to any help and advice.

Thanx in advance!

hi there and welcome. the brown algae can be diatoms. it will disappear again. but patience goes a long way in the hobby.

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)
I was told after 3 weeks i can test all parameters and maybe even add a shrimp and 2 clown fish, but from what i read, that doesn't sound quite accurate.
I went to LFS to get water parameters tested yesterday and everything was well below acceptable range.
Have you added anything to kickstart the cycle?

I have noticed a lot of brown algae building up.
As already mentioned, more than likely diatom algae which is normal in new tanks. It will go away on it's own once the tank stabilises.

Last edited:
Hi yes i have

I added bio nitrivec if i remember correctly.

As i say i am very new to this hobby and the LFS that sold me the tank said i should put that in to kickstart the cycle.

I knew it.

I added some fish food in the tank, only small pieces of flakes.
I was told the sand and the bio would kickstart the cycle.

Is there anything you can advice that i should try or do differently?

Hey Johan, welcome to MASA and to the hobby mate.

I remember someone once mentioning placing a chunk of shrimp in to kickstart the cycling.
Was your artificial rock from a tank or from the shelf at the store you got it from?
Maybe get your hands on some live rock from a fellow reefer or from the petstore mate? that should also help, and, will come along with some hitchhickers like small brittlestars, amphipods, possibly even some developing corals too. I remember reading a thread here where a reefer even got two tiny pencil urchins with his live rock.

I agree with the above

Get some real Liverock as well to seed your artificial rock.

Then chuck in some more fish food. And use Seachem stability.

Then when your ammonia and nitrites are 0 (nothing more, not even 0.1) then you can add some snails and crabs.

Wait a week or two later and you can add a fish. Remember to take things slowly. A 37 liter tank can only take about 2 fish.

Last edited:
welcome buddy happy reefing

Thanks guys

I will definitely be getting myself some live rock during the week.
Thanks for all the advice.

Will keep you posted on the progress of the tank.

Much appreciated.

welcome to MASA...you are definitely in the right place to learn about reef keeping and home marine aquariums. Everyone is really helpful and the threads are awesome. I learn something new everyday...

like you, i too am new to the hobby, tank is cycling now for about 1 week and a half. Seeded the tank with AquaVitro Seed, and a lance fish. added some dead fiji rock (hope its livening up) and have thin aregonite sand bed...have noticed some diatoms on the rock that was once white....staring at a blank scape listening to the overflow can be very relaxing, do not rush anything in this hobby you will learn the hard way :)

Hi All

It's been awhile since my last post.

Tank has been cycling now for 7 weeks.
I took a water sample to my LFS to get all parameters tested and everything tested perfect, i did have a ammonia spike at around week 4 wiched zeroed out
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
salinity - 1025
PH - can't remember the reading, but LFS said it is fine

So i added to small clown fish, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and 1 turbo snail and a red starfish.
I tested water yesterday and ammonia levels were at about 0.5 maybe a little higher. i did a 20% water change, will do another when i get home today.
Nitrite tested 0

I also have brown algae all over the tank, and it doesn't seem to be going away.

I am very new to this hobby and this is my first tank ever,
and i am sure i did something wrong and made a couple of mistakes along the way.
should i take everything out and rinse them off? and should i take out equipment like skimmer and sponge filter and also rinse them off, i am just scared that i may be removing the beneficial bacteria when doing that?

I will take a photo of tank tonight and also post that.

Please any advice would be appreciated.

The brown algae is the last stage of your cycle. They are called diatoms and grow by feeding g of nitrates. Nothing to worry about it will settle down going forward

Hi All

Just a quick question, i have a 37Liter nano tank, do i need to add a powerhead, it seems as if there is spots in the tank that does have very little to no waterflow.
I bought the smallest one i could find but seems to strong.

Hi All

Just a quick question, i have a 37Liter nano tank, do i need to add a powerhead, it seems as if there is spots in the tank that does have very little to no waterflow.
I bought the smallest one i could find but seems to strong.
Yes, I think powerhead is a good idea.

Thanks for the reply @r0ckf1re

Even though it looks a bit to strong for the tank, i don't know which one i have installed, but it was the smallest one they had available

Back
Top Bottom