Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ali3n, 22 Oct 2014.

1. Ali3n

Ali3n

Hi all,

I have been out of the hobby for a long time but recently I was handed an offer I just could not refuse. My B-I-L has sold his house in Polokwane and told me that he is leaving his tank in the house but said if I want it I must come fetch it. So that I did on Sunday. It is a custom built tank with 3ft sump. Tank dimensions are 2450mm x 630mm x 650mm.

When I was still in the game we both had malawi tanks. Due to space I needed to sell my tank. He kept the Malawi's. Now I have decided to try something different and what else can be better than a marine tank.

Due to financial restraints I will need to slowly get all the equipment together before starting up so I thought this is the place to be to do some research and get help.

2. Guest

3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

hello and welcome Ali3n

You are at the right place.
    Check out the for sale section, good prices on second hand items do come around.

4. OP
    Ali3n

Ali3n

Thanks. Will do :m106:

5. Johanbester3

Johanbester3

Hello and welcome, enjoy the build!

6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Welcome to masa.
    Do lots if research and ask lots of questions:m106:

7. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

masahello

With that size tank, I would consider a bigger sump

8. OP
    Ali3n

Ali3n

Well it took me 4 years to get on track but I finally have my system running. Not the big one as originally planned but a 5ft. Been running since November. All is going well so far and have started adding livestock. Will add pics over the weekend.

The problem is that I am upgrading. Oops, so the minister of finance has a few pairs of new shoes in the bank. HEHE

I was kindly donated a 6ft tank by a fellow reefer. Busy refurbishing it and should be ready in the next 2 to 3 weeks while I wait for all the new silicone to cure and pass a pressure and leak test.

I have been reading a lot of the members posts and it amazing how once this bug has bitten, you won't find a cure.

Thanks for the awesome information on this site. You guys rock.

9. Barlan

Barlan

Nice, looking forward to the pics :D

10. SaltyG

SaltyG

:welcometomasa1:

11. OP
    Ali3n

Ali3n

It has been a hectic few weeks and only now had a chance to upload some pics. I will add more during the week but this is where I am at the moment.

Old 5ft tank which I have been running for about 6 months or so to cycle. I thought I had way too much live rock in there as it was intended for my 2.4m tank.

Old tank (Medium).jpg

My new 6ft tank thanks to a fellow reefer. I replaced the front panel and added euro bracing. Suddenly My rock vanished as well. eish.. Must admit is is more than double the origional volume of water at around 632L in total. Added 3 new inhabitants on Saturday as well of which 1 was a serious lack of judgement on my part.

New tank (Medium).jpg

Just 1 of the many mistakes. Going to re-home the cream angel I added due to my lack of judgement. Beautiful fish, just did not think the reef thing through that well at no fault of the supplier as I was warned. When I reach my 50 posts I will put him up for sale.

Lack of judgement (Medium).jpg

And little blue getting a little attention on her first day in her new home.

Getting some attention (Medium).jpg

Then the STAR of the show.

looking for food (Medium).jpg
    20180617_102624 (Medium).jpg

Everything went well with the transfer and all seem happy. I hope it stays that way.

I need to finish tidying up the electrics and get around to finishing the stand and lid but Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was this hobby.

I Any comments and/or suggestions are more than welcome.

Recent Posts