Discussion in 'New Members' started by ChrisP, 15 Oct 2014.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP

Hi Everyone

Picked up a second hand Boyu TL550 with quite a bit of LR and some sand. I am on week 2 of my 3 week drying process for my LR. After that it's a good pressure wash and into the tank for a month to cycle before adding some fish.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

masahello

May I ask why you are drying out your liverock?

4. Johanbester3

Johanbester3

Hallo and :welcometomasa2:
    Ask as many questions as needed!
    Which part of JHB are you located?

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ tekkengal: When I got the tank it had been standing without power for over two weeks. The LR was placed in a dark bucket with saltwater. When I opened the lid, it reeked of die off and the surface was covered with bristleworms. Saw a video by vividaquariums, Dave did the same to his massive tank.

@ Johanbester3: Thank you for the warm welcome! I am based in Benoni, it's close to Boksburg. East Rand?

6. Johanbester3

Johanbester3

@ChrisP , nice to see there's more people which are close by.
    Enjoy and shout with we can assist. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Cool beans, was just curious why :)
    Good luck and hope you enjoy the hobby!

8. Krushto

Krushto

Hey Bud, welcome to MASA and the world of reefing :)

9. ziguri

ziguri

Welcome, hope u enjoy

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ Johan: Thank you! I found this forum whilst researching Chaeto. I thought I'd register and check if I can source some? I want to build a Refugim to house the Chaeto so that I can feed the copapods to the fish and at the same time keep Nitrate and Phosphates levels down by filtering through it.

This will only happen around end of next month once the tank has cycled.

@ tekkengal: Thank you! I'm already addicted and cannot stop researching absolutely everything!... Ha ha

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ Krushto & Ziguri: Thanks for the welcome! :)

12. Johanbester3

Johanbester3

@ChrisP , I'm sure some of our fellow reefers can give you some Chaetos , unfortunately
    I'm making use of any in my setup.

13. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

lol, tell me about it! I expect in a few weeks you will be looking to upgrade due to the addiction :p

With regards to the refugium, are you going to plumb in a sump or use one of the back chambers to grow it in?

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ Johan: Thank you. I'll be sure to ask around.

In a refugim about half the size of the tank, would the Chaeto make a considerable difference to Nitrate and Phosphate levels?

Also, if so, what does this mean for frequent water changes?
    -Would it be less frequent?
    -Could enough Chaeto growth even cancel the need to do water changes entirely?

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ tekkengal: There's not much space in the chambers for Chaeto growth. From what I understand, you need quite a bit of Chaeto for it to be affective. The stand in the picture attached below was included in the deal. I am thinking of making a glass Refugim to fit in the open space below and just pump water to and from.

I know exactly what you mean. My tank doesn't even have water in yet and already I'm looking at the classifieds, considering bigger tanks. Ha ha

Stand.jpg

Last edited: 15 Oct 2014
  16. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Macro algae does help combat nutrients in the tank. It also depends on how much you feed as well as stock levels.

There are other forms of filtration, thanks to advancements within the hobby, that help combat nutrients in the tank (such as seachem's matrix and purigen, biocubes, NOPOX etc). These can eliminate the need for macroalgae and water changes to be the main nutrient export removal method.

There have been some debate regarding the effectiveness of water changes for nutrient removal. Doing so does dilute the level of pollution but the additional question raised was how effective is it overall. Another reason for water changes is to replenish trace elements that corals and other inverts use up, the converse to this is that you can dose to replenish the elements used up and therefore not perform these changes.

For someone new to the hobby, I would recommend doing water changes as it does help you learn and get a feel for your tank needs. As you get more into the hobby, you can consider if you still need to go that route or not.

I'm not too sure what size is needed for an effective refugium (if you are solely using this for filtration), maybe @RiaanP or @dallasg can give some input here?

Just remember that your skimmer also helps with nutrient export as well as any live rock that is in your tank. ;)

17. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

:welcome7:

What are you looking to keep in the tank. (corals, fish and invertebrates?)

18. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ Tekkengal: Wow! Super informative post! Thank you...

I am very fond of Clowns and the hosting Anemone. So most likely I would have a pair of clowns, a nicely coloured, long tentacle Anemone - if I can find one and if they are not too difficult to keep - and an effective CUC. So I don't think they would load the Bio system too much but I'm yet to find out :)

I would like to keep filtration as "natural" as possible, hence the Chaeto. The large amount of LR, yet to be weighed will most likely be the major filter and as for the chambers, I received 2 media bags of ceramic noodles, some bio balls, 1 media bag of what seems like Argonite -red ish rock, pieces the size of R5's- 3 socks stuffed with things I am yet to understand -LOL- and I saw a no-more Algae pouch thing. It looks like theres Algae inside there and a massive black sponge.

My reason for trying to avoid water changes is because 1.) I don't have an RO/DI unit. 2.) I don't have access to borehole water. 3.) I don't like the idea of trusting a LFS to filter and mix water for me. I don't know the quality of the filters/type of salt ect.

My tank did not come with the standard WG-308 or upgraded WG-310 skimmer so I was forced to make one. Very excited to test it and give it a go. It will fit in the chamber area and it is designed rather different to the usual ones on google.

19. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Your tank needs to be running for at least 6 months before adding an anemone. They need stable parameters and in a new tank the parameters aren't stable.

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

I have a shopping list of things I need at the end of this month:

Hydrometer/Refractometer
    Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phospate and PH Test kits
    Powerhead/Wavemaker for circulation as it only has a spraybar mounted on the top left.

21. ChrisP

ChrisP Thread Starter

@ TaahirS: Thanks for the info. It's a super long wait but should be worth it in the end. Will a Clown pair up with the Anemone if I add it 6 months down the line?

Recent Posts