Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ashveer, 19 Jan 2014.

1. Ashveer

Ashveer

Newbie from durban, iv always loved the idea of owning my own salt water tank. As a total rookies, I would like to get a small tank just to keep soft coral and maybe two fish. My question is how much would a 2nd hand tank with the right equipment set me back.
    Thanks guys:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. reef addict

reef addict

Welcome and best of luck.. this hobby will give u moments of joy sadness happiness and sleep less nights. . But its all worth it. The hobby can be expensive. . Check the for sale forum.. you will find some good deals.. some advice. . Is always research before buying.. and ask lots of questions. . The members on the forum will help u answer the questions. . Good luck buddy..

4. Brendan6

Brendan6

@Ashveer

If that is all you want, softies and 2 fish, I would suggest a Boyu TL550. Lovely tanks, with a strong amount of advice on offer on these tanks. Second hand, you can get the tank for under R1500 with a lot of extra's.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Ashveer

Ashveer Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys. Will keep in touch:thumbup:

6. Triven

Triven

Hey welcome buddy .....this is where it all begins...enjoy

7. Gareth0508

Gareth0508

welcometomasa

8. Ashveer

Ashveer Thread Starter

Good day guys
    I manage to get my hands on a tropquarium86 (its a 70l tank) two foot , I'm wondering if this tank could pass as a marine tank or am i setting up myself for a huge fall, i have already obtained the following: power head, heater, salt crystal mix, a hydrometer, hang in back filleter, still needed to get around 9kgs of live rock and 5kg live sand. I dont mind building a bigger tank... Thank you for any reply in advance:slayer:

9. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

Hi my tank is up for sale 1.5m setup cleaned out pm me

10. Zandy

Zandy

From my past experience i would recommend to rather get a tank with a sump and which is drilled already. Save you from having to drain and drill at a later stage. I tried this on a 4ft tank with external filtration (sumpless) and had to do it all over again. So rather try and get the tank drilled and get a sump (even if it's just a plastic bucket for now):thumbup:

11. jclaas

jclaas

Any aquarium from small to large will pass as a marine aquarium as long as it has salt water in. As a new reefer you may be reluctant to overfeed your aquarium and if the aquarium has a small volume then it will become a problem far quicker than in an aquarium with a larger volume. Drill your aquarium immediately because you will eventually want a sump connected to it. Before building a sump i recommend learning the nitrogen cycle of a marine aquarium as this may help you with the sequence of filtration within your sump.

12. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Most guys start off small and then end up going bigger. The majority tanks are 1.2m to 1.5m.

Recent Posts