Discussion in 'New Members' started by Paulbassanai, 12 Jan 2012.

1. Paulbassanai

Paulbassanai

Hi, I have just bought a marine tank from a freind of mine, I have always wanted a Marine tank but just never got around to getting one till yesterday. It has live rock inside and snails no fish at the moment as he neglected it for the last sixz months and it is over run by Hair Algea:(, but I will get there. The tank has been setup for the last three years so it is a established tank.

Hope to read through the forum for a bit of help on the Algea

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Your tank is going to need a bit of work, but we can help you with that. :)

Can you give us a list of all the equipment you got with it? Do you have a sump? Heater?

First thing I would do is switch the lights off and leave them off, give the bacteria a chance to start consuming some of that algae.

4. Paulbassanai

Paulbassanai Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks a lot and yes we will get there just need patience :blush: and a lot of it in think. I have attached a photo of the back of the tank.

We have
    1: Skimmer
    2: Heater
    Corel for the drain
    Return pump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...

7. viper357

Ok, I see you've got corals in there, don't switch your lights off like I said initially.

Have you got sponges and filter floss in the back there? Can't see too well.

8. Paulbassanai

There are five small tanks in the back. it runs from the tank to the first one that has got the Skimmer, from there is goes to the next one that has got some filter floss ontop of crushed corel from there it goes to anaother tank with crushed corel. The forth tank has a bit of sand at the bottom then it runs to the return pump and back into the tank

9. belindamotion

Has you'r Friend always had the Crushed Coral...? Did he have Algae problems..?..Or did you add that when you took over the Tank...? Do you have Aragonite in the Display Tank...sand or crushed Coral...?

10. Paulbassanai

He always had the crushed coral in the back. he had a bit of a rough time with his wife so he left the tank to stand for about six months so that is why it looks like this. The display tank has sand in it.

like i said I have just started this hobby and I would just like to say that with the amount of help i have recieved in just a couple of hours from everyone I am very glad i started this and can see that there is help out there.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome

12. viper357

To start off with, I would recommend removing all of the floss and crushed coral in the back compartments, but not all at once, take out about a cupful a day. The reason for removing this stuff is because it can harbour nitrates and phosphates which result in an increase in algae growth. If you want to use filter floss then you would have to clean it every day or 2nd day, I never use floss but you can use it occasionally to 'polish' the water to remove floating organics. The same goes for the crushed coral, anything bigger than sugar grain size is notorious for collecting detritus and gunk which again causes your nitrates to increase. So take it all out but do it over a period of about a week. At the same time, pull off as much of the long algae that you can and scrape off all of that stuff on the back glass, use a net or a syphon to suck it out as you remove it. Cut down your lighting hours to 6 hours a day.

Do you know how old the lights are? They may need to be replaced as ageing lights tend to shift in spectrum and can also fuel algal growth.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
  13. neemow

neemow

awsome atleast you wont have to wait for it to cycle :)

14. Paulbassanai

Thanks a lot
    I will try everything you said and give feedback on what it is doing through the week. Must i then replace the Coral with anything or just leave those two tanks open, once agin thanks for all the great advise and help.

15. belindamotion

I'm not to clued up on the "engine room" of a Tank, but I would say small RL pieces/rubble with Filter Floss on top...? Someone help incase I'm wrong...maybe try and then get a "sump" underneath...basic design...?...If budget allows...

[​IMG]
    BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
Recent Posts