Discussion in 'New Members' started by barixboy, 27 Apr 2011.

1. barixboy

barixboy

hi guys
    i have been thinking of starting a marine setup:thumbup:, any advise is much appreciated.

what is a good size tank to start a setup like this.
    i preferable want to have some fish at the start and slowly start getting into reefs as i get more used to the process of handling the water and other stuff.

thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome to Masa! Start by reading the beginner threads, there is a ton of good info there. Look in the for sale threads as you can pick up good deals there. A nice beginner size is a 4ft Display tank with a sump

4. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

thanks will browse around...

5. Goby

Goby

Hi barixboy,

Welcome to MASA and a great hobby!! Good to have you here with us.

Although I'm a great admirer of nano aquariums (typically less then 140l) at the moment, I would suggest something a bit bigger. Nano's can be quite challenging because of the low water volume, maybe a 4ft'r of at least 360L+ will be a great start. With a bigger water volume you can have more stability and also cater for a greater variety of fish like tangs that will need the extra swimming space.

For starters i would recommend a system 1200mmx600mmx500mm. A nice "shallow" type reef with water level at 450mm. With this height you can use not so expensive T5 54W globes (maybe 6-8) with great success, and host a wide variety of corals and fish, that will be very happy in the long run.

If you have the space to go 700mm wide, even better. It makes aqua scape so much easier, and it looks more natural and more beautiful.

6. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

thanks for your advise, but im a bit short of space, hence me browsing around for a small setup,

the nano sounds like something i would like to get, what are the challenges involved in keeping such a small tank

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

with a nano you have to constantly monitor your system. When something goes wrong then it happens quick. Something will eventually go wrong. With a big tank, its more forgiving because of the higher water volume, changes are slower thats why the beginner size is a 4ft... How much of space do you have? Whats the biggest you can go?

8. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

800 x 500 x 500(approx size needed)
    is this too small to start a small setup for just fish(clown fish)

9. Goby

Goby

well for starters, the variety and amount of fish and coral you can put in such a small system is limited. 2nd, a low water volume can be quite challenging when it comes to stability, but by no means impossible. With proper research it achievable and can be maintained with great success. I have seen some really awesome systems!!

Nano's and reef keeping in general is quite a challenge, and in the end that's what this hobby is all about. There is so much to learn, and even if you start with a nano, it won't be wrong. Just remember that with a nano you'll be limited, and with time most people upgrade from it, to acomodate more fish and corals.

If there no way that you can fit anything bigger in your possie, nano it will be. We at Masa will give you all the advice you need to succeed!! :thumbup:

Happy reefing!

Reef Maniac likes this.
  10. Goby

Goby

now that would make a great kinda cube IMO. If you can go 600mm or 700mm wide. So much better for scaping. i love the height. "shallow reefs" are quite popular these days, and with a low water level (450mm) you can use less expensive T5 fluorecent tubes (6-8 tubes) to keep most corals and fish very happy in the long run.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

Thats not such a bad size :) .. You can keep clowns, fire fish etc.. your normal nano fish. Get as big a sump as you can to increase your system volume :)

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Barixboy, glad you joined us. There's some great reading for you on starting a marine tank in my signature - very valuable info ;)

13. Jeann1

Jeann1

Welcome to MASA..

Read as much as you can , and ask questions if you dont understand - best way learn.

14. Evo R

Evo R

masahello

15. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

thanks for the warm welcome guys

been down to my local pet shop and was told that they could sell me a tank(450x400x300) with all pumps,sand,water and stuff including a clown fish......is this guy trying to take me for a ride....cos most people here seem to have two tanks(one for display and the other is the pump)

what do u think of this offer

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  16. crispin

crispin

hey barixboy, welcome to masa great to have you join :)

that tank the pet shop was talking abput doesnt sound that great to be honest. the dimensions seem strange and it doesnt sound like its drilled with an over flow down to a sump (second tank) to be recirculated back to the display.

have a look in our for sales forums, you might pick up a decent tank and sump and equipment there cheaper.

there are alot of considerations to take into accound when starting off a marine tank for the first time, get out a tape measure and get an idea of the space you want to place a tank into. then see if you cant get an approximate tank to fit (with a stand and sump if at all possible) or get a tank custom made. that way u can start off with the options of adding in decenjt equipment (things like good skimmers, heaters, pumps and auto top up units for evaporation) will make your life far better in the long run.

17. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA.

First read the links in tobes signature and get an idea of what you want to accomplish, i guarantee you will want more than just a clown ;) Once you know what you want you will know what size tank to get ;)

18. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

will give those links a good read, thanks

19. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

hey guys finally got my tank, its now cycling(this the 2nd day):) the salt levels are correct, what else should i be monitoring in the cycle period....

20. crispin

crispin

what size tank is it? and what equipment....and how the hell can you tell us youve started a tank without giving us pics....come on be fair...pics pics pics :)

21. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Recent Posts