Newbie with predators

Reaction score
Hey im new, good 2 c south africa have their own reef keeping site, and some of the funniest truly south african comments that i've come accross, cant find that on any other sites, i got a 300L predator tank, with 1 x "freshwater moray", 1 x girdled moray eel 1 x Ribbon Eel (The black and yellow one, think its juvenile, still pricey) 1 x banded cat shark or otherwise known as bamboo shark, and then 1 x cleaner wrasse, not really interested in expanding, but hopefully with some new light fittings i will b introducing some corals at some stage after some extensive research of course. Hopefully will b uploading some pics in the near future. :thumbup:

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy your stay. Your setup sounds great, please post pics soon - we love pics ;)

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Dan!

Sound very interesting - I agree with Tobes - pics please?!?!?!

Could you please elaborate on how/what/where/when you feed these beautiful creatures?
Also - what skimmer are you running for these fish?

Welcome to Marine Aquariums of South Africa. Enjoy your stay here...

Mainly lance fish, almost daily, especially the shark, its got quite the appetite, then some squid twice a week, i got some cheap skimmer, Jebo i think it is, it works, specially with my sugar dosing, trying to get a mixture of sugar vinegar and vodka, but i always end up drinking the vodka haha, it does work i must say, my live rock looks alot more alive.

Just some specs:
Tank Size: 80L x 90H x 45W
Filtration: AquaH20 Biochemical Filter
Hailea HF150 Canister (never ever, and i mean never buy this!, its more of a dribbler then a filter, it came with my tank)
Jebo Quadraplex Skimmer
and some other power filter with spay bar, 1600lph
40+kg of live rock

There's not much more to it, its only 4months old.

Your tank seems way to small for these sharks.

Need to get a bigger tank, if you want to keep them happy

HHHhhmmmm - 4 months Dan?

What are your water parameters? Do you test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates at all?

BTW: I agree in principle that a 300 litre tank is a little bit small for these creatures, especially the shark.
BUT, the shark is a slow moving, and VERY in-active type.... so - this MIGHT just off-set the size of the tank. Therefor did I not comment on it.

My only concern here, is that the tank is 4 months old, and you do not have a HUGE filtration arrangement (ie big/huge skimmer) to remove nutrients from the water.

How often do you do water changes?
In the end, the nutrient levels in the water MIGHT just end up being the creatures' demise.

BTW: have you read up on the feeding habits of these creatures?

I agree - the shark does, and will eat a LOT, BUT, it will also not STOP feeding unless you do....

Perhaps just have a read up on these specific species of shark, and then amend the feeding schedule accordingly.....

As far as my knowledge of predators go - they eat far less often than ie. tangs (vegetable matter eaters)....... Less often - but huge quantities at the time....

the ribbon eel is one of the moss gorgest looking eel of all the eels spices and it is on my short list for fish that i want for my tank .I suppose it will survive in a tank it is just all the other stuff that mite be in danger.

yeah im buying a new lighting unit so i can start with corals, ribbon eels are difficult 2 keep cause they tend to refuse food and die after a month, mine on the other hand takes lance fish outta my hand, i was concerned for the 1st few days but then it started eating, 1st from a feeding stick and then from my hand, its really cool.

my skimmer isn't small, its just cheap, it does the trick though.

As for the shark, it doen't move much at all, unless it's looking 4 munchies, it seems 2 beg at the front of the tank like a dog, mayb not the smartest buy i will admit, but then again i dont plan on having a 300l for much more then a year, my plan is to get a 2mtr with sump etc, just space is a bit limited for the moment.

Weekly water changes, about 15%, i would love a sump, but once i get photos i'll show you why thats not really doable.

Here's my shark, i can upload a video of the eel, but dunno how, all from my crappy cellphone camera.
1427493d1e7319a17.jpg

Dan you need to tell me all about keeping eels it sound like you got some experience on them

Yeah had the "freshwater" moray and the girdled moray for more then 5 years, use to keep them with clowns and solaris and few others in one tank, i took the "freshwater" moray outta the freshwater and dropped him straight into the marine tank, he doubled in size within a month, they are harmless, here's a few shots of my ribbon eel, lucky shots i would say, he just came out as i was posting the shark.
1427493d22f00c0ff.jpg

Back
Top Bottom