Newbie with a Nennie

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nism0, 23 Jan 2012.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Hi everyone,

On Sunday I purchased and moved a 4ft tank and cabinet which contains some creatures that I am not entirely comfortable with. Everything has survived so far :D

The tank was a bargain and came with a lot of equipment and livestock for a good price. :thumbup:

Please note this is my first marine tank. My biggest concern: The 20cm Magnifica Nennie. :eek:

Despite the sellers reasurances, I am not comfortable with my ability to keep this baby alive and would hate to see such a beautyful nennie die. Any help, advice or even offers (will list in 4sale as soon as i am able) would be appreciated. Picture here http://http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=31289

Other Corals:

1x Orange digitata
    5x Orange Digitata Frags
    1x Big Rock Colony of Green zoanthids
    1x Medium rock colony of purple/blue zoanthids
    1x gold polyps (3 of them)
    1x green orange mushroom’s
    2x colonies of red mushroom’s
    1x red sponge
    1x colony of green star burst coral
    4 x green hairy mushroom’s
    2x pink pulsing zenia’s
    1x feather duster (brown)
    1x Large Red/green open brain

The Digitata have me a little worried but i think i will be able manage them.
    After lots of research i am not too concerned with any of the other corals, but as they say ignorance is bliss.

Will test the parameters tonight but yesterday i had the LFS test the water and everything was in good shape. Will do some tests tonight.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You need 9 more Posts then you can put up a "For Sale/Swop" Thread...I like the way you think....I'm glad to hear a Newbie having concerns about the maintaining of a Nennie...so many believe thet can do no wrong...it's nice to see more and more responsible Newbies joining MASA...:thumbup:

Link doesn't appear to work...

4. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Now its 8 more posts :p

Last night i fed it a piece of hake which it ate nicely and looked very....um...."happy" for the rest of the night. At lunch today it looked a bit droopy but the mouth is still closed so im hoping its just because the lights had only just come on.

5. belindamotion

It really is a beauty...! I gather it's a "mature" Tank and you took it over..? How much of a "Newbie" are you...? If you done you'r homework and you know all about the water parameters...I can't see why you can't keep an eye on it for a few days and see if you get the hang of it....the fact that you'r responsible enough to realise you might be lacking in knowledge leads me to be belive that you will be honest in you assessment of you'r situation regarding the Nennie...although I am leaning towards the "Sale/Swop" section...:blush:

crispin likes this.
  6. belindamotion

You might want to go thru this Link...the Nennie might start walking as you just moved it...so I gather some re-arrangements could have happened in the Display Tank...(aqua-scaping)...therefore..is the powerheads in the Tank currently covered...?
    A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

7. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks Belinda,

Yes, it was a mature tank. I figured the nennie would move if i aquascaped too much so i tried to replicate the scaping as much as possible. The powerheads and everything is almost exactly as it was before the move. (Two powerheads as far away from the nennie as possible.)

Honest assesment: I know VERY little about marine. Tropical tanks are a breeze compared to marine. I was not really aiming to jump into the marine tank :)P) this quickly, but couldnt let the oppertunity go by as it saved me a ton of money on equipment.
    The sale came with a lot of test kits and supliments which i need to get aquanted with asap.

So far I have only dosed with Stability and fed the fish and the nennie. A nice hydrometer is first on my list of important stuffs to get. and maybe a fresh test kit depending on the results tonight seeing as i cant say how old the test kits are :blush:

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi there, the link below on starting a marine tank should help you a bit. Although you didn't start from scratch, there might be some valuable info for you :)

9. crispin

crispin

hey nismo, welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marines:) great to have you join and even better that you now have a beautiful marine tank to look after:) all good i say.

Its very very rare that i think a noob will be able to look after a nennie but i have to agree with Belinda in that it sounds like you arent a total beginner with regards to having read up on nennies and marine husbandry. Its by no means ideal to move a marine tank, and certainly not ideal to move one with a nennie in it, but dont chuck the towel in on that nennie (its a real beaut) just yet, lets rather monitor and watch a while, see how the nennie handles the move and see how you handle the cross over. Marines arent as tough as you think, i promise, and you have the WHOLE of masa behind you to help you out:)

first thing you need is a source of RO water, clean 20 l buckets a good Refractometer and some decent salt for mixing.

i would also suggest some carbon in the sump, at worst just put in a pair of stockings in a high flow area (like where the water comes into the sump from the over flow) but way better is a reactor if you have one.

Id suggest going out to midrand and seeing Idol Marines, they arent your closest supply of marine products but you will be in excelent hands and they will have all you need.

try get us a pic of the whole tank and of the sump, plus a list of the equipment you have.

good first steps, atleast you arent falling over:)

10. belindamotion

11. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks guys, already i feel better about the prospect of taking on this tank. Nennie is still a concern though. Here are my tank specs:

Hardware:
    4 Ft Tank top braced corner overflow
    3 Ft Sump with DSB
    13 kg’s live rock mix of Fiji and Kenya
    13kg’s base rock
    Return pump for main display (Sicce Syncra silent wet/dry pump SS4.0 3,500l/h)
    2x Sicce Scuba 300 w Heaters
    1x 120cm 54W Quad Odeyssea T5 Unit with dual Ballast
    1x Two Little Fishes phosban reactor + pump
    Aqua Medic Turboflotor multi SL Skimmer rated up to 1,000 l tanks
    Hailea HC-100 A chiller + EHEIM compact wet/dry pump rated at 2,500 l/h
    1x Ocean Pulse Duo wave maker (Not in use)
    1x SUN SUN JVP- 101 Power head rated at 3,000 l/h (with magnet)
    1x Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6025 rated at 2,500 l/h (with magnet)
    1xTunze Osmolator Universal 3155 (ATO Unit)

Seeing as the Nennie has lived and grown in the tank I assume that the T5's are at least keeping it relatively comfortable.

Will have a look at nennie proofing those powerheads tonight.
    BTW, quick question: How fast can Nennies move say across a 4ft tank? :p

12. belindamotion

...it's not how fast can he move...it's more a case of...when he gets detatched from his spot, the flow can catch him and send him straight into the powerheads...:(

13. crispin

crispin

great equipment list. Awesum start. there are a few things i personally would upgrade, but for now thats a perfect list, well done:)

how fast can a nennie move? faster than you can when you are sleeping or not viewing the tank! when it decides to move....note when not IF.....then they can move the length of a tank surprisingly fast. If it is suddenly in a slightløy different place on the reef in the morning, then start paying close attention!

but it looks like it is set well up in the water collumn with flow around it not over it, which is perfect. I think you have a good chance it will stay put, especially if its still anchored to the original rock it started on.

how many t5 tubes do you have, what colours and what make, oh and how old:)

14. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Ok, So the powerheads are nennie proofed (Now i can sleep easier) and i did some tests.

Temp:26.6 (Heaters turned down slightly)
    pH: 8.3
    Amonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0.1
    Nitrate: 2.5
    Ca: Less than 380ppm. ( I dosed 5g Seachem Advantage calcium and will repeat 2morrow)
    Alk: ??? I tried this test with Red Sea and Salifert and after adding 2ml of the final component i stopped both tests without any colour change. Alk was not tested yesterday at the LFS. (I Dosed 5g Reef Builder)
    Will be taking a sample to the LFS to see what their numbers are like.

My understanding of these numbers is limited so please shout if there something i should be stressing about. I will be doing a 90L water change very soon.

The nennie seems to be in doing ok. How will these parameters affect it?

My DSB is too shallow (abour 6 to 8cm). Can i add a bunch of sand all at once or should i do it in layers? I already purchased some fine aragonite so just need to wash and insert.
    Maybe all at once just before the water change?

Ai, please excuse my rambling and so much of questions. My head is spinning!!:wacky:

You guys are a great source of help and inspiration.

15. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Oh and when is the best time and method to feed the open brain? I read somewhere that they have an appendage that comes out after dark in search of food?

Also I tried target feeding the feather duster some brine shrimp, but he didnt take any. At least not before the Banded Shrimp came along and took his meal. He is quite aggressive, even taking food right out of the turkey baster!! Should be called a Bandit Shrimp! Hehehe, wow im tired. This is a stressful hobby.

16. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks Crispin. Even if i have to get rid of all the fish and start over with just the live rock, its still worth what i paid for it. :thumbup:

4 tubes, will have to check the make and colour tomorrow.

17. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

The lights are 2x Odyssea 10000K 54w tubes and 2x Actinics.

Couldnt find the Wrasse this morning until i looked in the overflow and he was lying on top of the filter floss stuff. Quickly put him back and he seems stressed, but alive.

The Nennie is looking good as well, changed the flow a bit so it doesnt get pushed around as much. Right now I would describe the flow as moderate.

So far so good. Will be doing a big water change tonight. About 65 litres. Water is at the right temp already. just need to confirm the parameters.

18. crispin

crispin

4 x 54W t5's isnt that much light for a Magnifica nennie. I would look a adding two tubes if you can fit them in the lid and i would look at getting geiseman bulbs in the future as they have slightly better output that other brands apparently.

what wrasse is it? do you have substrate in the tank....can we get a full tank shot (FTS)?

19. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The picture was taken by the original owner a few months before selling the tank. The rock layout is not exactly the same but the Nennie is in the same place.
    It is a six line wrasse.

20. Braco

Braco

Welcome to MASA...great looking tank and that nennie looks good agree with the above posts give it a few days ...weeks...and take it from there...enjoy..;)

21. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks Braco.

My wife seems to have taken a liking to the nennie and its clown. So time will tell.
    Looking to get a refractometre today and a faster more reliable way to test parameters. It took WAAYY too long for me to do about 7 or 8 tests. :whistling:

That and a fish or invert that will eat the hair algae thats in the tank. Its not bad, but it irritates me when it sways in the current. :support:
    Maybe a Blennie or a Goby, or serpent star fish?

Started adding more substrate to the in sump DSB last night. just less than a cup poured evenly over the DSB. Depth at the moment is only about 8cm.

Recent Posts