newbie TL550 tank with a years research :)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by bruce87, 10 Apr 2018.

1. bruce87

bruce87

Hi all, i am new to this forum, however i have done about a years research before i got my very first fish tank which is the boyu TL-550, so just a little about myself.

30years old from capetown (strand) and a marine tank caught my eye at a local pet shop, the fact that all the things inside was alive and you could see shrimps and crabs and you name it was just to fascinating. i think i spent about an hour just looking at the tank.

so long story short, new house was built and the fiance and myself decided when we move in we gona get a marine tank, did research for about an year on what i wanted and decided the best bet is to buy a second hand boyu 550 tank from my mate that is going oversee to see if this hobby is for me or not before i spend a lot and it dont work out as i thought.

so i have the tank for about 7 months now and it was previously 2 years old with the 2 clowns and a yellow/purple dottyback. i changed the filtering system,added new live sand and doing 10% water changes on a weekly basis. i was on the verge of getting a better skimmer because the standard one is pretty useless as i understand, wanted to buy the Tunze 9004 skimmer(decided against it because read on).

The tank is now filled with 2 clowns a small regal(dory) and a diamond goby, 1 fire shrimp,blue hermit crab and a turbo snail and some sort of sand snail and a sand starfish. the following corals is a torch coral, frogspawn, hammer coral and some zoas, green mushrooms and a hollywood stunner chalice, and something new coral came up which was the size of a small zoa and is now about 5cm in diameter(dont know what it is) i added a anemone last week, its white with purple tips.

i learned a few things these last 7 months, that 30 degrees celcius water is to high (24 now), i fiddled to much with moving things inside the tank to get what i like, that the filter system at the back was BAD,i also learned that when you buy a new fish at the petshop make sure it eats before you buy it, i lost my first fish i added to the tank because it didn't eat anything for 30days (bengai cardinal) i also lost a small maxima clam which i still don't know why(maybe my lighting is not good enough), take note that i only added 1 fish per 2 months and 1 new coral after each month for what its worth. and also that dont add fish to your tank which will be bullied by another ( dottyback was sold to a petshop because he bullied the goby adn this made me took out all the live rock again for about the 3rd time and every time the scaping changes because i cant get it the way it was

right now the tank is doing great with the parameters in check.

so i decided to join this group as it helped me out with researching the way im gonna build my new tank in the very near future.
    the reasons why i want to build a new tank is the folowing:

-my friends would rather be in the tv room to look at the tank than being in the braai area so im going to build a biggish tank in my braai room

-i want a sump so that i can start with a lot of copepods etc for a mandarin goby that i really want and also it provides better filtration

-i want proper lights because i maybe think that was the reason the clam died (i have custom made leds)

so this is my introduction, if all goes well i will start with my new tank build in the next month which will be a 1200x500x500

attached a few pictures of my tank (its a old samsung s5 camera so it snot good quality)

my next post will be the new tank build (very exciting)

IMG-20180410-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180410-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180410-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180410-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20180410-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20180410-WA0013.jpg

Keshen likes this.
  2. Guest

3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Nice little tank, good to hear about your learning experiences. :) When you do you plan on starting the new build and is it going to be outside (in your braai room)?

Last edited: 2 May 2018
  4. OP
    bruce87

bruce87

Hi Viper, Im already getting qoutes for the tank, its a 1200x500x500 starphire glass 12mm rimless, peoples qoutes are crazy expensive, the glass is cheap like 2k then people qoute me 7k for glass and labour, it doesnt make sense

Last edited: 2 May 2018
  5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Have you thought about getting a second hand tank?

6. OP
    bruce87

bruce87

To come back to your firat question, the braai area is part of the house.
    I will buy second hand but it needs to be what i want and i cant seem to find it. Black sealer and rimless in that size.
    If i can find someone whoe can make the tabk i will supply the glass and the sealer because i dont see why i get charged 4k labour on a 1.2m tank...it doesnt make sense

7. drab808

drab808

You will never find 12mm starphire glass for a tank that size for 2k. Sorry to burst your bubble

8. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

Agree, I bought normal glass directly from Rene Turck in 2016 to fix my overflow (think 2 pieces of 10mm and 1 piece of 12mm, each around 80cmx80cm) that was less area than that size tank (roughly 192cm^2 vs 230cm^2) and it was R1600. R7000 for a new Starfire tank of that size and thickness glass built with overflow etc. is relatively reasonable IMO.

Recent Posts