Newbie tank design. Help needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Piet, 19 May 2013.

1. Piet

Piet

Hi all MASA members. For n long time I wanted too owne a marene tank. I started reeding in masa and talking to people that owne marene tanks. But the more I red and talked to reefers , the more nerves I got antil I decided not to go on with the tank.

However, I could not get the tank out of my head and decided to get my dreem up and running . Originally I wanted to use the tank as an room devider built into n wall. As I am newe to this hobbie and this tank being big, I nowe decided to start with n small tank too lurn my way around n marene tank.

Firstly I wanted to use n Boyu 550 but I think it will be just to small for enough live stock , and as it needs to be upgraded for beter results I would rather built a tank right the first time. So I read through all the members systems and I like the cubes.
    So I was thinking off a 700 x 700 x 600 cube with three sides or if possible fore sides viewable. I like n kleen look with no wires and pipes or pumps in the tank. I would like to DIY the tank as I am a hands on tipe of gay and have n limited budget.

What whould your sigestions be in terms off overflow , skimmer , return pumps , flow pumps or power heads , filtration and LED lighting . I would like to have a bit of soft corels , invertribrits and as mutche fisch as possibility.

Thanks for taking the time to reed this post and shearing your knolige.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello Piet

Starting with a Buyo 550 is a good step to take to "test" the waters.
    That would give you more than enough time to read up more and get answers to all your questions.

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Welcome to masa piet.
    An excelent product to start with is nitra-guard bio-cubes. It is a biological nutrient removal product that is EXTREMELY effective at removing nitrates from your water & will save you lots of money later on in your tank as it lasts almost a year! & the great thing is, it will prevent any nuisance algae from taking over your tank!
    Other than that, like riaan memtioned, just let your tank finish its cycle & read up on the livestock you want to keep before you buy it!

5. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Yip I agree I started with TL450. Welcome

6. Piet

Piet Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I wil go with the Boyu for now.

7. seank

seank

Welcome Piet. Good to learn on smaller tanks, while saving up for the big tank when you have enough experience in the hobby.
    Bloemfontein is seker al lekker koud......

8. the fish

the fish

Welcome to MASA. hope you enjoy your stay here with us. TL450 is a good start

Recent Posts