Newbie Sump Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Neil H, 20 May 2008.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Guru’s of Marine Tanks,

As with many of the members of this forum, I begun with tropical fish but have recently bought my first marine tank, and before setting things up further, I would like your opinion on my planned setup.

The dimensions of the tank are 120cm by 60cm by 75cm (LWH)

I intend having a reef system, and I would like your comments on my sump design. The sump will be setup in a 3 foot tank below the display tank. When I purchased the tank, it came with a new reeftec TS2 protein Skimmer, this will go in the first sump compartment (with the heater). The next compartment is designed to reduce flow over the DSB which is compartment 3 , compartment 4 is the return water pump chamber.

Chamber 3 will also house the refugium.

So some questions ……

How many heaters will I require for this size tank? It is situated in the lounge and receives no direct sunlight.

For a beginner, this system seems rather complicated, but I suspect is too simple in the eyes of some of the members of this forum. If I wanted to add things like a calcium reactor etc in the future should my coral population grow to significant proportions, what changes should I make to the design now to be able to make those changes in the future, one of my thoughts was to enlarge the return water chamber ???? comments please.

At this stage I will leave it to those questions, questions on circulation, lighting and livestock will follow as I get my head around the sump design.

Below is my current sump design. (that’s if I get the picture uploaded correctly)

cheers

N

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

personally i think 1 *150W heater will be fine on your setup.
    enlarging the return chamber will be a good idea,as at a later stage should you want to add in more equipment eg pumps for CArx,Carbon and po4 reactor etc..you can house them in the return chamber.ive also got a 4 chamber 3 ft sump,will post a pic now

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to masa, the sump design looks like it will work, though you may need to consider where to place the heater(s) - they are best placed flat on the bottom of a chamber that won't empty in case of blockage from main tank.
    The amount of heaters does depend on where you live and the outside temperatures during the year, so a little info from you as to your location would help.

Keep the sump roughly as is, simple is best, complicated goes wrong more often.

5. Mekaeel

heres my sump
    [​IMG]
    chamber 1 from tank and skimmer
    chamber 2 LR Chaeto and pump for chiller
    chamber 3 DSB (currently no sand) as im planning on using it for a frag setup
    chamber 4 Retun to tank

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Ive noticed on most sump pictures that the partitions go all the way to the top of the tank. Wouldnt it be a good idea to leave a a few centimetres to prevent overflow incase one of the chambers gets blocked?

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi 459b - yes - My tank's sump's partitions are definitely about 7-8cm below the sump's side-glass top. This depends, because I have over-and-under partitions... So, some partitions are lower (the "over" partitions), and some partitions are higher (the "under" partitions).....

Neil - your sump design is PERFECT like your drawing. Build it like that and don't change a thing!

8. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Thanks guys,

Wee-Man I am based in JHB, northern Subs !

I think enlarging the 4th chmber will work best, on the basis of perhaps adding further equipment later

9. Mekaeel

brilliant idea :)

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sump looks good to me. The only thing I would do is add a horizontal piece of glass running the full length of the first piece of glass next to your DSB, about 1cm below the top and about 3cm's wide, if you know what I mean :p This will prevent the water from disturbing the first part of your DSB and will push the water across the top instead of it rushing down into the DSB.

Recent Posts