Newbie requesting help with identification of all / everything possible.

Reaction score
Good day.

I purchased live rock and plenty hitch hikers.
All these hitch hikers interest me quite a lot!

Can you assist me with the identification of the rock itself, the algae, worms, critters, etc., please?

20140808_074717.jpg

20140808_074721.jpg

20140808_074725.jpg

20140808_074737.jpg

20140808_074758.jpg

20140808_074808.jpg

20140808_074839.jpg

20140808_074910.jpg

20140808_074943.jpg

20140808_075520.jpg

Bristleworms, fan worms, pods etc. ;) You need to get that rock into water quickly, everything is dying. :)

Last edited:
all good, all dying

this is what you want inside your liverock

Everything was put into water. No need to stress too much.
Except for the quick photos of the live rock themselves, I immediately put all into my tank. Even all the goggas that was in the bags and not on / in the rocks, was immediately put into aquarium water. So my photos are taken with the goggas in the water. I even had a vid or two as well.

the last pics are micro bristle stars

Yip, all good stuff so far, just be careful of the bristleworms, the little hairs on their bodies are defence mechanisms and can inflict a very painful sting. Pictures 11 and 12 are commonly known as pods, or amphipods.

Picture 9 is coralline algae.

Last edited:
ra2upesa.jpg

gupequ9e.jpg

hazyju7a.jpg

emady4am.jpg

4e5y8apy.jpg

I know which is the Xenia, but how long should it take for them to start to look better and open up?

Then I'd like some help op the I.D. of the "polyp / zoa" and if possible the exact species of the mushrooms?

Thanks in advance.

Xenia may take a while to adjust. But having said that, I have xenia in 3 places in my tank, And it just dies away in two spots. The third rock, however, is flourishing...

The zoa is difficult to identify, without seeing it fully opened (the color make identification easier)

Are those mushrooms a reddish purplish with light blue?

Hi there, Gesiggie.

Thanks for the feedback.
I bought all yesterday. The shrooms are quite big and they were flourishing in the shop, but here they're not opening up. The have a lighter greenish-white-ish colour with a little more prominent green in them. I'll be sure to post more photos once they opened up.

The single polyp / zoa whatever it might be is also not fully open. When I switched the lights on this morning it went away and after an hour or so it started emerging again.

Do you think I should maby get they more whiter light over the new corals as opposed to the current 20 000k and the blue coral?

The other two are thr 10 000k and the 12 000k.

Leave them be for a couple of days, do not make any changes, unless you can see they are actually dying. (Which from the pictures, they are not - In fact, they do not look bad at all at the moment...)

I am not an expert on lights, so cannot give you an informed answer in that regard. Sorry.

Mushrooms are still not opening up fully, nor are the Xenia. The only "more active" one is the Zoanthid / Polyp thingy, although also not ooening fully.

I noticed an extening worm thingy from a whiteish pipe that looked like it has one very long tongue / feeler...?
Retracted too qyickly for me to take a photo.

Definately not a feather duster worm.

Back
Top Bottom