Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 14 Mar 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

Hey all,

Been reading a lot on the forums trying to get my head around this. First off, thanks for the great resource. great place for a new comer to find info.

So I was looking at our local shop with my gf who has a fresh water set up and saw a really nice small (nano?) marine set up which, as a scuba diver, really interests me. I don't really have the space or money for a 4 - 6 footer tank nor do i have the experience so the idea of a nano tank sounds great. The one in the shop was roughly 55 litres and had live rock and a few fish, but what really interests me was the lion fish. Would be really cool to have one of those in my proposed setup. I bought a 60cm x 30cm x 30cm (54L?) off a friend for peanuts so hoping to convert that to the setup i want. if i cant then i will have to look into fresh water.

I've been reading all the starter guides and different threads about skimmers and sumps etc but would like to ask some questions anyway just so im clear. I basically want to convert it so a break down on the recommended equipment would be awesome.

This was a freshwater tank and i assume i cant use the same filter? What filter/pump setup should i look at to start?

For a tank this size would i need to run skimmers/sumps/ etc? are these standard pieces of kit for any marine tank?

The end goal would be to be able to keep maybe 3 - 4 fish with corals and live rock with a nice CUC team with a few shrimp. although im not sure if a small tank can sustain that much life? if not then maybe a mantis tank?

I know really big tanks take a lot of work but was reading on the forums about smaller tanks being less maintenance. is there any truth to that? its not so much a time issue as a financial one.

Looking to start somewhere and build up to something quite nice to display. Any input would be great.

here is a pic of the tank im getting

[​IMG]

Obviously needs a good clean but i will handle that.

Thanks,

Mike

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. First of all, read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank. This will answer some of your questions and cover the basics for a beginner ;)

4. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Hi mike

Welcome to MASA.

I was going to try offer some advice but i really have no experience with nano tanks.

Good luck though, there are tonnes of okes that will know what they are talking about that will help you out.

oh and read Tobes's links they are what put me on the straight and narrow before i started.

5. chops

chops

welcome

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Pros of a nano tank is that its much cheaper than a big tank ie small skimmer, less substrate, less salt used, lights are cheaper. However if anything goes wrong it happens fast and is not very forgiving.

I would not recommend using the filter the tank has, you should get a sump with a small skimmer like a TS1. use play sand as substrate and T5 lights. You can have about 3 small fish and a CUC with soft corals. Best is to build up your tank slowly over a few months and buy 2nd hand hardware. Get decent things the first time around :)

7. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

@erle_vaughan - Thanks

@Tobes,

Thanks for the fast reply. I read that thread and here is what i took from it. please feel free to correct me.

It will be a few months before i can actually put live stock in but i can get a CUC team in before that if i read that part correctly. In the mean time I will need to get:

skimmer
    filter
    testing kits

this will allow me to get started?

Then i can look more into a sump, return pumps,, heaters, lights and RO filters for when i want to put fish and LR in?

What filter should i look at going for now that wont require an upgrade later?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

@chops - thanks man

@Tremayn - thanks for the advice, will research the skimmer and sump

9. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

i was thinking down the same lines as Tremayn.
    I was wanting to add a DSB in a sump, but i doubt you have space so thats why i left it for the other okes.

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

no problem mate. Just take your time. It took me really long to get my tank up because I took things very slow and I made sure I got a really nice skimmer :) ..

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yeah you will have a small sump so it will just have about enough room for a skimmer and return section then you can add some rock in there. You can also get a big sump if you like or add plastic containers to increase your water volume

12. Franske

Franske

TBH You dont really need a sump or skimmer if your not planning to have a heavy bioload(lots of fish etc) and if your willing to do enough water changes,you can look at my little pico setup or danes low tech nano as an example,what you can do with a tank like that is build a filter chamber in the back to house the heaters circ pumps and some cheato getting light from your main lights,something you wil need though is a ro filter for your water or you can buy ro water from your lfs if they have,ive seen many people running small tanks like this with the most basic equipment,but then I wouldnt suggest keeping more than 2 fish and mabey 1 shrimp

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome by the way :) .. You can get away with water changes but I would still recommend a sump with a skimmer because later on you will regret not getting one. You can keep other hardware in the sump freeing up precious DT space

14. chops

chops

HI here alias if u need any help bud let me know

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can use that tank, but....

Get it drilled, built in a slimline overflow.
    Put a sump tank at the bottom. check which standard Daro tank will fit, else built one yourself.

If you built it yourself it can be 60cm long and 25cm wide, just wide enough to slide in. Just add 2 extra cross members from left to right on the stand to support the sump. Reeftek TS1 skimmer, 1st chamber about 17cm, return chamber about 15cm, DSB in the middle.

and then this system could be a very nice, cheap and effective tank.

When I started many moons ago, I did it with a standard 90cm Daro tank as display, and 60cm Daro standard for sump. But as mentioned, it is a lot more difficult to maintain, a lot less forgiving, water changes are a must. Checking water parameters every week a must. But you learn the ropes so much faster.

16. maxisoft

maxisoft

So while everyone is giving you their invaluable advice, let me rather just say

:welcome6:

17. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcome :)

@RiaanP - can you point me to a example of a built in slimline overflow? Sounds like a sump is a good way to go if i want to keep more stock at a later stage. so worth looking into. What is a DSB by the way? :/

getting excited to get the ball rolling..

18. maxisoft

maxisoft

Aha... The same question I asked a few months back, (seems like years ago) and come to think of it, it was @RiaanP :thumbup: who answered this question for me back then... hehe...

I suggest you read @Tobes post on marine keeping for newbies... a mountain of information....;)

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

20. animalia

animalia

welcome to Masa.

21. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome to MASA

Recent Posts