Newbie needing assistance

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by CharleyFXST, 30 May 2011.

1. CharleyFXST

CharleyFXST

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the very informative forum!

Me and a friend of mine bought a marine tank last night, the tank has been standing empty for a while, but we still figured that the deal is to good to resist!

Included in the deal was all the equipment needed and a whole bunch of liverock!

The only thing I find bothersome is I believe the sump is too small, and there is no DSB in the sump...

Here are pics of the tank...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would you guys please comment on the tank and specifically on the sump?

Any other recommendations would also be greatly accepted!

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Welcome to MASA. My 4Ft was exactly like that (Sump Compartment), you can build a bigger sump, knock out the centre divider and put a steel support brace in it's place thereby giving you the entire length for your sump. @lanzo might be able to do it for you, give them a call at Dorry Pets, seeing that you in PTA, they might be the closest LFS for you. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. CharleyFXST

CharleyFXST Thread Starter

Will that sump be suitable? Or do I need a bigger sump?

I want to keep a reef tank but I do not know whether they need a DSB or not?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you dont NEED a dsb, give @lanzo a call and he will discuss various options for a reef setup, very good solid advice

6. maxisoft

maxisoft

I started with the same size and design.... but I soon learnt that bio-balls and ceramic rings was not the IDEAL way to go... then instead of knocking out and reinforcing the centre panel, I made another sump and joined the two... Now I have 4 compartments in my sumps....

1. Skimmer and heater
    2. Refugium with 15cm DSB and suspended Live rock over DSB
    3. DSB with Cheato
    4. Return, carbon reactor

This system is working well for me... ;)

7. CharleyFXST

Thanks guys, I think will be doing the same as @maxisoft with regards to the sump!

One more thing though, how deep do my crushed coral substrate need to be ideally?

8. maxisoft

maxisoft

It depends on what you want to keep....
    If you go for sugar fine, then sand sifters like blennies, etc will keep your substrate clean together with the hermits, etc... bear in mind, that should you go for a deep enough substrate, it will have the same effect as a dsb... so 1-2 inches will look cool and be effective... 3-4 inches and you looking at a in tank dsb....

I went for 1-2 inches...1 in the front and slowly moving thicker towards the back which creates a nice depth perception...(cause the tank is not wide enough)...

Finer than sugar fine and you get sand storms which are a pain in the butt... thicker than sugar fine and your sifters get injured trying to dig... and they trap detritus... which create nitrates which creates phos problems, which create problems, which as I'm typing I'm sure I'm making you mega nervous cause it sounds like a heck of a lot to handle.... but not really... hehe :thumbup:

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome boet! You rather just keep macro algae in your sump because as you research and become more experienced you will want to get rid of the DSB. Unless you get a large remote DSB then you will be wasting valuable sump space. You can just have in compartment 1 your skimmer then refugium and then return. If you later start carbon dosing or go NP pellets then its a much easier conversion and you dont have to remove a whole lot of sand lol.. So thats my advice :)

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Or not... After about 14 years' experience I still appreciate my DSB very much, and certainly would not even consider getting rid of it.

Replacing that centre support with a metal "beam" will work very well, as will the "two sump" system suggested by Maxisoft. For the latter, plan to raise the first sump at least 50mm (100mm would be better) above the second sump - gravity then makes it so much easier for the water to flow to the second sump without risking flooding the first sump.

Oh, and Charley, WELCOME to MASA, and to this great hobby.

Hennie

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  11. Tremayn

Tremayn

how big is your dsb Reef Maniac? :)

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, it covers the bottom of my display tank (below the live rock), some 1.8m x 0,7m, as well as a 1.0m x 0.6m section of the sump.

Size obviously matters, but IMHO even a small DSB is better than no DSB...

As an aside, I also run a DSB in my "quarantine" tank which for the past year+ has been functioning as a de-facto frag tank. This tank does not house any fish at the moment, but contains a number of SPS, LPS and softies, and the ONLY filtration is the DSB (or more accurately, the DLSB) and some macro algae growing in the tank - there is no skimmer, no algae scrubber, no chemical filtration... and the corals are doing GREAT - oh, and this tank only has a base area of 1.0m x 0.45m for it's DSB.

Hennie

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

yip, you have a large dsb. As I said, if he goes dsb then he should use a remote dsb as he wont be able to fit a big enough dsb in the sump :) .. Thats the problem most of us have is space

14. CharleyFXST

What I think I am going to do is build another sump, use that for the skimmer and DSB, and link it to the current sump which will then be filled with filter media and the thermostats.

I am in the procress of migrating from tropical to marine, so please be patient with hords of questions that will be coming this way!

Recent Posts