Newbie Member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Cathy Naude, 12 Jul 2014.

1. Cathy Naude

Cathy Naude

Hi All

I have been looking after a freshwater tank for the last 7 months and am enjoying it immensely! I stumbled upon this site looking for information on Hermit Crabs. On a visit to uShaka I was lucky enough to get to hold one at one of the educational stands. Unfortunately he did not come out of his shell.....I think my cold hands might have been a problem. I don't know if it is legal to keep them or where I can get if it is legal but if possible I would love to keep one........

Anyway Hi again.....hope I can learn plenty here about the wonderful world of marine life!

Cathy

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. Hermit crabs are sold by most lfs. But i suggest you look at what kind of tank you wish to keep first because it never ends with just one hermit ;)

4. Cathy Naude

Cathy Naude Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for the supersonic reply.......here I am still trying to sort a profile of sorts! I will have to do an awful lot of research and questioning before I embark on a Hermit adventure but at least now I know they are available.....thanks for that!

5. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

[​IMG]
    This is my Favorite hermit. He likes teasing my fox terrier. Hehe

6. reef addict

reef addict

Welcome to the hobby. . Silverwolf what type hermit is that?

7. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

I really don't know, i assumed its an electric blue, I am however still uncertain.

8. Cathy Naude

That picture is enough to make me look into this really seriously.......he/she is beautiful! Plus you are a friendly lot on this forum!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome Cathy Naude

Yes, you can keep local hermit species. Just get your collection permit from the post office. And head of to Natal. The Cape cold water is too cold, unless you are running a cold water system.

I got plenty of local hermits. I prefer the yellow tip hermits. They are not that beautiful, but they do not grow too large. The Blue eyed hermits, with one bigger white claw is nicer looking, but grows a bit bigger.

Just do not get yourself those reddish spotted ones, Dardanus Megistos. They grow very big. Unless that is the only thing you want. I had one, in its own system. I lost him due to pipe fitting failure, that changed my system into a fresh water system.

10. Cathy Naude

Hi RiaanP

and thank you for the very helpful advice. Particularly i.r.o. which hermits to keep! I'm not sure what response I'll get at my local post office though as they find it difficult to give me correct information on stamps available never mind a permit for crabs........oh joy!

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Fishing license, but there are a few options extra. Marine collections permit. I normally buy my permit down by the coast, there they all know exactly what you want because they sell the same permit, just with other tick boxes, to all the fishermen.

12. Cathy Naude

Ha Ha....I can see the confused faces here........Good idea to do it down at the coast....makes perfect sense....Thanks......

Recent Posts