newbie lurking for info

Reaction score
hi everyone... i am just reading up here & there to build up courage so i can start up a 55g tank.
trying to get all the essentials first before diving in. just missing the lighting & protein skimmer.
will be dosing kalkwasser - trying to achieve a mixed tank [softies, LPS & SPS]

I am from Stanger and probably would be the the first one to set up a reef tank.
if I have to start with softies and LPS can i get away with using a canister filter 1200 lph?
also will i be able to house corals with just 2 x t5 HO/54W?

Welcome..

You not the first one in Stanger, I know some guys there and nearby that have reef tanks.

I'm up the freeway from you in ballito.

any guys you know around your area using Oasis RO water for top-up. I've spoken to Oasis and they mentioned the TDS being 0.01 sometimes 0.02 !
I was planning on using their RO water for kalkwasser...

any guys you know around your area using Oasis RO water for top-up. I've spoken to Oasis and they mentioned the TDS being 0.01 sometimes 0.02 !
I was planning on using their RO water for kalkwasser...

Test it before you use it. I’ve tested it before in Gauteng. Was never under 10

Last edited:
Ro water is interisting stuff.....You can get 0 tds from the unit......but as soon as the water stand tds seem to rise again. I once trolled the internet and there is a explanation for it. Something to do with ions etc etc that something happens to. Wich gives you the higher reading. Cant remember it all. I sometimes get lazy to test my own tds....and before i know it i add water of tds 50 to my tank. Nothing happens. Just puts me in a frenzy to change filters or resin :m38:

Ro water is interisting stuff.....You can get 0 tds from the unit......but as soon as the water stand tds seem to rise again. I once trolled the internet and there is a explanation for it. Something to do with ions etc etc that something happens to. Wich gives you the higher reading. Cant remember it all. I sometimes get lazy to test my own tds....and before i know it i add water of tds 50 to my tank. Nothing happens. Just puts me in a frenzy to change filters or resin :m38:

can you give a quick update as how TDS is measured. for example i mentioned that the TDS from OASIS water has a reading 0.01 or 0.02

what is acceptable range in terms of using this for dosing kalkwasser seing that Oasis is the nearest source for RO water

regards,

I have a TDS pen that you stick in the water and it gives a reading. 0.01 or 0.02 is very good....the closer to 0 you get, the better it is.
But you also get digital tds meters wich you add to the ro unit. Just makes life easier. Thats if you ever go to the ro unit. My Ro unit is hidden in garage. I hardly go to it. So a pen for me works better if i decide to use it....lol

I have a TDS pen that you stick in the water and it gives a reading. 0.01 or 0.02 is very good....the closer to 0 you get, the better it is.
But you also get digital tds meters wich you add to the ro unit. Just makes life easier. Thats if you ever go to the ro unit. My Ro unit is hidden in garage. I hardly go to it. So a pen for me works better if i decide to use it....lol

if you're saying that a TDS of 0.02 is OK for kalk & magnesium dosing then i have won a huge battle in my realization to keeping a marine tank. it was a pipedream all my life but now I'M LOVING WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETER:cool:

Awsome man....glad to see some enthusiasm....however you spell it. Looks right to me :1:
as you go along you can always buy a ro unit and make your own water....buying from shops gets expensive, as you will ALWAYS need water. Been used for topups aswell for the water that evaporates

Awsome man....glad to see some enthusiasm....however you spell it. Looks right to me :1:
as you go along you can always buy a ro unit and make your own water....buying from shops gets expensive, as you will ALWAYS need water. Been used for topups aswell for the water that evaporates
with T5 LIGHTING raised at about 400mm i would assume the evaporation rate to be in the region of about a litre a day give or take so i will have to dose kalk at about that mark at night. since i work in a hospital i can arrange for 20 drop admin set to drip dose.

can i get away with just using 1 T5 HO fixture if I'm gonna be keeping softies & LPS. my plan is to have 2 T5 fixtures = 4 globes when introducing SPS

Just remember you will only dose your tank if it requires it. I've never messed around with kalk. I'm to scared. Otherwise you will only top up with ro

will start of with 1/2 teaspoon working my way up as per testing

Cool looking forward to your progress.

I forgot to mention that my brother has a mixed reef cube that he has kept for more than 3 years now which is where i got my inspiration so he asked me to join MASA as he is in overport and i am in Stanger. we did once capture a koran angel from a tidal pool once which we kept then swapped as it was grazing on his corals.

Just remember you will only dose your tank if it requires it. I've never messed around with kalk. I'm to scared. Otherwise you will only top up with ro
hi dexter... I've read that when starting a new tank you only start dosing kalk anywhere from 6 to 12 months. does that mean that after about 6 months of testing then i can start using kalk? i will start keeping LPS, SOFTIES & hardy SPS from the onset...

regards,

I'm not the kalk guru as I personally haven't used it. I'm to scared. I'm not sure why they mention only after 6 or 12 months. But my guess would be that's when their tank started to consume alk and CA. If it was me and the corals started to consume those, I would start dosing kalk to compensate as nessasary. Maybe post the article you read. That would help.

Screenshot_20211110-210624_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom