Newbie looking to buy 2nd hand tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by L00ney, 31 Mar 2011.

1. L00ney

L00ney

Hi Marine Peeps

Thanks for allowing me to join the community.

I looking to buy my first aquarium. I have found a second hand tank with stock.

This is what I will be getting.

1x 450L marine fish tank Complete with Cabinet, 2x Tetratec EX1200 1200l/h Canister filters(worth R1500 Each), 2x 2000l/ h Aqua Pump Current Pumps(worth R500 each), 1 x Reef Octopus Skimmer Extreme OCTX -160 2400L/h(worth R3500), 80L sump in Cabinet with 2000L/h Pump, Internal Lighting 3 X 1.2m Tubes, marine blue, Sunset pink & Coral White , +- 30kg Sand Aragonite Substrate , +- 20Kg Live Established RockWorth R100/kg, 2x 300w heaters,Live Stock worth R2900: 2 damsels yellow tail & Neon , 1 clown, 1 trigger, 1 Banana Wrasse, 1 Green Chromis , 1 Purple Wrasse ??,1 Bio colour Angel, 1Keyhole Angel, 1 Blue Leg hermit crab, 3 Snails, 1 Sea Urchin .Fully established reluctant sale, with all fittings & extras.

[​IMG]

I would like to know if it is a good idea to buy second hand and if this is a reasonable price.

Any advice / comments welcome

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Muz

Muz

How much are they asking for the tank? You only state what the stuff is worth.

4. L00ney

L00ney Thread Starter

My Bad

Ooops. Cut and paste skills not so good. Asking price is R6000.

5. Muz

Muz

It is always a tough one to say what marine tanks are worth, I suppose it is what you are willing to pay. The bottom line is that if you had to setup a system from scratch.. new, it will cost a lot. When you buy second hand equipment the price plumets as in many cases you have to start replacing bulbs etc anyway. It all depends on how old the system is. Are the lights T5's? my guess is that they are T8's.

This looks like it was a FW setup that has been converted into marine. Hence why they have cannister filters and FW powerheads in the tank.

I fear that with a system like this as you get more into marines you will eventually replace these in any event, you sure dont need 2 external cannister filters and a sump especially when they say that they are worth R1500ea, I got mine brand new from cash converters for R700.

If you want my personal opinion the prices that are stated that the equipment is worth is very high. I doubt the powerheads are worth R500 ea and you can replace these with sun suns for much cheaper.

I would place the value of this FW converted tank at about R3000 - R4000 max.

L00ney likes this.
  6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Firstly it looks like a Jebo tank so that is risky as these tanks are known to burst. Big risk in my eyes. Then the livestock is over valued. More like R2000 max. The current pumps will have to be replaced with proper flow pumps.

I personally would not be over eager to take this. The best thing in this system is the skimmer.

7. Muz

Muz

I have to agree Marius.. those jebo tanks are freaking risky and are known for cracking. Personally I would'nt take the tank either.

8. L00ney

L00ney Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the valuable advice. Sounded like a bargain was going to get it this weekend.

I am still keen to get one. Will keep looking around.

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Tired of people getting ripped, the above honest comments and are IMO only

I think R6k is a rip off for this, I would only but the skimmer, gravel, 1 heater and thats about it

10. Jeann1

Jeann1

I agree with everyone.

Have a look in the for sale forum, there are a few tanks for sale threads at the moment.

11. Muz

Muz

I was just about to say.. if you look at what this oke is being offered and this tank for sale on the threads for example.. not to push a sale or be unfair to anyone or anything but..

1.5 m x 600 x 800 Tank Setup for sale: Witbank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

if you look at this tank for R6k and what is being offered as a FW conversion for R6k.. My choice would be the forum sale.

Yes you dont get LR or some fish, bbut you want to shop for that anyway, it is part of the learning experience and fun. It is good to compare what is for sale on forums as you are getting a tank that has been designed and built for the marine hobby by marine fanatics. many of the tanks for sale on the forums are okes who financially have to close down or have upgraded so you can get a good deal and support the forums.

Just my 2c

12. maxisoft

maxisoft

Wow... guys... you causing this guy to run for the hills.....

Welcome To Masa.... Most of the comments i.m.o are correct. I would check out the for sale forum here.... There was an awesome one sold 2 days ago for R6k.....

Just If I could comment, that 2nd hand marine equipment has very little value... much less than buying a 2nd hand car.... ;)

13. L00ney

L00ney Thread Starter

Once again thanks for all the advice and comments. I am definately not buying this tank. I will troll through the for sale section or if anyone wants to contact me directly with a second hand tank you welcome to PM directly.

Recent Posts