Newbie here

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Scout, 3 Jun 2009.

1. Scout

Scout

Hi everyone:wave2:

I found this site after searching around the net. I am new to marine aquariums. In fact I don't even own one, except for my normal fresh water tank. I am certain this forum will help me along the way in setting up a tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

welcometomasa

4. crispin

crispin

Hello there Scout :)

great to have you join MASA, and just in time too. The more you learn before getting that tank the better. And i promise you, switching over to the dark adictive hobby of Marine Tanks is a wonderful ride:)

there really is a huge amount to learn and time spend reading on here is really well worth the effort. Be sure to check out the Beginner Discussions - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    and the Members Systems and Setups
    both forums contain amazing info for someone starting out and the members systems will show you some of the beautiflu tanks in SA and how people achieved them:)

When i first started out i was really shy and hardly posted as i was worried my questions seemed simple when you have these guys with such beautiful tanks who know it all. But you will soon learn that the only stupid question is the one you didnt ask!

Fire away with questions, on any topic and we will do all we can to help you get a great tank set up, cycled and stocked.

Welcome to MASA and have great fun :)

5. inflames

inflames

welcometomasa

Hope you have a great stay here! It is a great site and remember to ask as many questions as possible. Always do your homework before buying or trying anything. Come and ask any questions you might have and TAKE IT SLOOOOOWWWWWW!!!

The rewards are endless! Do you have any idea of what type of tank you would like to set up?

6. Boendoe

Boendoe

Welcome, you past your fist test in to Marine's with flying colours. MASA is the best place where you will find all the help you need to make your new hobby a great success and a very enjoyable one.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Scout! Great to have you on-board!

Please ask as MANY questions as it takes, that you can become the absolute best reefkeeper you CAN be!

Please DO NOT just "believe" what your local pet shop/fish store tells you - PLEASE PLEASE come and double check EVERYTHING they say, or advise you, here with us!

We do NOT have any financial gains in giving you advice.

Good luck - and enjoy the journey, into the life changing experience of marines!

PLEASE REMEMBER: IT TAKES A HUGE AMOUNT OF PATIENCE to start, and keep a successful reef - there are many things that needs to be learnt, and to prepare, before you can add your 1st fish, or coral!

8. Tony

Tony

Welcome Scout. Do you know what you would like to do. Nano or large, Fish only or reef tank?

9. Scout

Scout Thread Starter

Wow thanks people for all the replies.

As said I don't have a tank yet, but I have an unhealthy interested in marine aquariums, or so my friends and colleagues say.

I don't have much space in my lounge, so I want to go for smaller tank. I am interested in a Nano with reef as well. If you can add a reef in a Nano that is. It's great to know I can fire away with questions.:)

10. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

11. Scout

Scout Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone.

I have spent the afternoon, doing research.

As I said in my other thread I want to invest in a Nano cube, as I am limited with space in my lounge.

A question in general; How much time per day is needed to maintain the aquarium after a good set up, At the moment I have a 30L freshwater tank and spend about 5 -10 minutes a day giving attention to it. I know that a marine aquarium will take more time.

I will play the waiting game at first. Plan to buy the aquarium soon, but will set it up only after doing much research. I'll probably be the only member with a tank that doesn't even have water in :).

Super to be here!

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

Scout if you set your tank up properly and it is as self sustainable as it can be you may be looking at only feeding during the day and the odd clean every now and again. But with nanos its not as stable as bigger tanks so will take more tinkering. It just depends how much you are able to spend on equipment etc :)

13. Prodigy

Prodigy

WELCOME TO MASA

14. brentnorm

brentnorm

No way man. Fill it up and let it cycle while you do your research. Welcome to MASA by the way.

15. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Scout. See most of the guys got hold of you already.
    The maintenance per day is nothing, it's the sitting and staring at all the life in the tank, new stuff that pops up out of the live rock during the cycle, seeing how a cleaner shrimp cleans the fish etc.
    That is where the time goes, and it's all worth it - but you gotto have patience.
    Enjoy, and keep us updated :wave2:

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)

Recent Posts