Newbie fungas on rock

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Chris Makings, 26 May 2013.

1. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Hey everybody,

I am new to this and I do have one other thread at the moment about my tank.

I got a Aquaria AMW102 Nano Aqurium.

MY problem I have at the moment is on one of my live rock I have a fungas( I think its that) growing on it, The store I got it from said it is normal but I am not sure about it.

YOu can see in the photo below

Any input if it is normal or not. Tank has been running now for 4 we

eks,

Ammonia is 0
    Nitrate is extremly low amost nothing
    Nitrite have not tested

yet
    PH is 8.1

I test my water once a week and will be stesting again tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Marine fungi are extremely uncommon. that looks more like algae. Is normal for a cycling tank and should go away in time.

4. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

Hi 495b,

Thanks for the input, I was just concerned that if i do add more of the same live rock it mighjt spread and then I have more of a problem.

Also I want to know if I should add white T5 lights to my tank as I currently only have blue lights that I got with the tank?

I am planning on keeping coral.

5. Chris Makings

my water paremeters as tested today is
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 5
    Nitrite is 0
    PH 8.3

Nitrate has jump abit:(

6. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Chris, how long is your tank been running. That is algae growing, add all your live rock you want to and and let your tank go threw its cycle stage. Normal for the algae to grow, get turbo snail, hermit crab they will clean your tank. For sps you need more than blue lights if you want to keep sps you need led for nano tank. More flow in the tank. Go to forum and reed all about corals.

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Hi Chris.

did you buy the tank as new? if yes then it should have come with 2x White and 2x Blue T5s. you should contact @Aquaria-SA concerning this issue as they are the importers of the tank. Lawrence is a great guy and surely will be happy to help. and yes you definitely need the white lights :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Chris, all the Aquria light is good for soft corals and fish. Don't think you get the ATI T5 in that length. The best is if you want to keep sps you will need led. I see Jungle Aquatics have nice led for sale till the end of this month. .

9. Chris Makings

Thanks Dorry,

My tank has been running now for about 4 weeks now, so its still abit of a new tank, I only want to add coral in the tank in about three months time, only. Just added fish in now. Blue and yellow belly damsil, they doing great and eating plenty

10. Chris Makings

Hi hot sauce,

Yes I did buy the tank new, I will get in touch with lawernce and find out if he can help out.

11. Dorry

Dorry dorry

they also have led lights, other than that no ather lights for sps.

12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

humm.. I wonder who would sell a new tank with only blue lights in. Lawrence won't be too chuffed to find out about this.
    are the white t5s missing from the hood or they are there but not working

13. Chris Makings

Hi hot sauce, they are no exsistent, there are four blue t5 lights, I have chatted to Lawrence aready and we have sorted it out, so going to wait a couple of days till the lights arrive,

14. the fish

the fish

@Chris Makings the tank is still cycling so there will be a bit of GHA growing its part of the process. normally we wait 6 to 8 weeks before adding any livestock to the system. just to make sure that all parameters are in check. but otherwise welcome to MASA and your setup looks good. would suggest adding a bit more LR also:thumbup:

15. Chris Makings

Thanks fish, I am going to add about and 5 to 6 kg live rock in the next couple of days and then just leave the tank to settle again. I am just concerned with the algea as its gotten worse over the past coupke of days, but I am sure it will get better soon

16. the fish

the fish

@Chris Makings it will get worse and probably even worse as you add more rock. unless it has been cured already. all the best of luck and i hope you enjoy it. awesome hobby to be involved in. remember to take your time. don't rush things or you might bump your head... hard. remeber if you add uncured LR that the cycle process will start again. and you will have to wait a bit longer. also try switching on the lights only for a few hours 3-4 hours a day and the rest of the day of. it will help get rid of the algae

17. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

i would advise against adding live rock to the system while there are fish present.. it is cruel and unessasary

18. Chris Makings

Thanks fish, I do only get cured rock so I am sure it will not do much damage.

Hi Fraser, I was told that I could add cured rock to the tank so it does not do anything to the fish, that is why I have not brought any rock just as yet as I a looking for fully cured lr before I add it, if I can't find then I will have to cure it myself before I add it to the tank, would that be alright and not harm the fish?

19. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hi @chris

yes that would be the best idea.

try speaking to some of the reefers out there and around you to get some of their fully cured live rock (1kg or 2kg pieces) but expect to pay alot more than just cured rock, then you can add it as slowly as would like.

otherwise you can take cured rock put it in a tub of saltwater salinity 1.026 temp 24 to 28 make sure you do you top offs so salinity doesnt get out of range and leave it in there till you test no ammonia no nitrate and no nitrite

good luck

Last edited: 28 May 2013
  20. Chris Makings

Thanks Fraser

I think that's why I am paying so much for live rock already, cause it is fully cured, as I am told, but if it was would I have had an algea break out? But I will make sure I fully cure the rock before I add it in

21. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

you shouldn't worry about the algae too much in the beginning stages of your tank. I'll post a picture when I get to work later of my tank when it had the algae outbreak ... you couldn't eben see the rock. if you can try and organize some cheato from a fellow reefer ... it will help a great deal as it did with mine

Recent Posts