Urgent help needed newbie first post -white spots

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Caffeinedecoder, 1 Nov 2011.

1. Caffeinedecoder

Caffeinedecoder

Hi everybody... i am a newbie at MA and have finally started a tank.Yeehaaa!

It has been running now for 2 months just about and I have 2 clowns, tomatoe clown,blue regal tang and today my first corals!! :yeahdude:

i have 2 cleaner shrimps but I notice today, since I added dual pro 2 T5's(wow what a difference) in addition to my T8's, that my Tang has a lot of white spots.

I was told the cleaner shrimps would clean it off but they are not.
    What am I to do? Is it dangers to the fish? Should I start stressing?? :blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!
    Can you post a pic of the fish? Regal tangs are susceptible to white spot, but we cant make a proper/accurate diagnosis unless we see what the spots look like.
    Also posting your paramters will help.

4. Caffeinedecoder

Caffeinedecoder Thread Starter

Hi.

My parameters are PH - 8.2 ; SG - 1.021 ; NO3 - 0.1 ;kH - 9 .

Thanks,
    Paul

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi welcome to MASA, dont stress yet. First tell us a bit about your system, how large, kind of filtration? Try give as much info as possible, any water parameters, like temp, ph, etc? There are plenty folk who would be able to help.

6. Caffeinedecoder

My parameters are PH - 8.2 ; SG - 1.021 ; NO3 - 0.1 ;kH - 9 temp - 25 c

here is a pic...

[​IMG]

7. Caffeinedecoder

i really would like to know what I can do do handle this. Is there a fish that will eat this? Is this white spots? and is it dangerous?

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Definatly looks like white spot, your SG is fairly low leave it there for now, maybe raise your temp by a degree or 2. Is this fish eating veggies, looks a little on the thin side, might just be the picture. Make sure he keeps well fed especially on sea weed like norri, feed as much as it will eat. The Regal is a white spot magnet and develop this due to stress, if it gets worse a fresh water dip may be called for.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  9. rakabos

rakabos

Hi and welcome

Whoever told you that cleaner shrimps clean white spots is well either stupid or just lying, cuz it aint true. The white spots are tissue damage caused by parasites drilling into the fish. You get several treatments that take weeks to complete, most of them involve removing the fish from the reef and dipping them, then quarantining them. During qaurentine you can drop the salinity a bit which will help a lot

And no, no fish "eat" them

At 1.021 your fish will be fine, but corals typically need 1.024 - 1.026

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

11. raflo

raflo

Hi

im just a noob,dont know much about this but,i recently purchased a copperband butterfly and 2 days later he was filled with white spot.got lots of advice from fellow reefers on Masa about how to treat it and eventially was advised to return it to my lfs where i bought it from.

the guy at my lfs told me he would have no problem taking it back,but if i wanted i could first try to raise the temp and switch off the lights,which i did.i then noticed my cbb seeking help from my cleaner shrimp.

the cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse spent lots of time busy with the cbb and 2 days later no more white spot.i decided to keep the fish as it is now eating very well(frozen mysis) and no more white spot.:thumbup:

so is it the cleaner shrimp that got rid of it or what?

12. rakabos

rakabos

The cleaner shrimp/wrasse may go to the fish and pick of the dead tissue etc, but it will have zero and i mean ZERO effect on the parasites that are present in the system. Best is to cure the infestation with methods mentioned by belindamotion

13. Caffeinedecoder

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and help guys! This is really an awesome and helpful site. :)
    I am blown away a bit this morning! My tang has very little white spots this morning! In one night either the inflammation went down or the cleaner shrimp did assist or some other miracle! I have no empirical observation as to what exactly but I feel a bit relieved.

I will track her progress closely.
    There seems to be a lot of different data on this subject and I was never aware that corals and fish was still such an undiscovered area... :)
    I read on discovery about how little scientists still know about corals.

I will definitely look at feeding her more variety(as I was told by supplier to stick to flakes for now) and keep stressors down as she has been a skittish fish since day one I got her. About 4 weeks ago. She seems a lot more relax but still hides from ppl. My one question now is do I keep my light off today at the cost of the new coral or will keeping it of be beneficial more to the tang and less harmful to the acclimatization of coral. hehe this is a really fun hobby!!:yeahdude:

Thanks again to all the helpful info.

P

Recent Posts