Newbie Alert

Reaction score
Hey all. New to MASA been on ************* and thought I'd stop in and say hi. Struggling getting into ************* as well. Anyone know why?
Look forward to laughing, cheering and maybe sometimes crying with you guys.
Neil:1:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Neil! A very WARM welcome to MASA man! I am SO glad us Capetonians are now starting to TAKE OVER!

Very glad you found MASA. Please tell us what you have? Tank-, life-stock-, hardware-wise.....

What's your problems, brother - please share... :)

Reaction score
Hey Jacques that tour behind the scenes at 2 oceans was cool hey? Still raving to my wife..... she has no clue what I'm talking about but smiles and listens.... Getting my LR hopefully from Alfie soon.... Dying to get going again after soooooo long chat soon. Neil

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Neil - I just re-read you 1st post. I JUST really understood what you were trying to say :) LOL!

No idea man - unfortunately I am not part of the "alternative site" anymore. So I cannot tell you - what are you getting? And error message? Cannot login?

Reaction score
Yeah right sorry. I built my display as a shallow 220ltr. (4ocm deep) The sump is also a custom 4 chamber 160ltr. Running 4100lt/hr return 3 1500ltr/hr powerheads. Berlin classic run off an Eheim 1060. About 40kg CaCO3 (my buddy aragonite). Good so far... But for my terrible lighting. 6 30w T8's no laughing please. Only going to get softies and 1 anenome. Mostly fishies and cuc's. Any inputs there guys?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks NEil - Y not get yourself some T5's? You could get Lohuis T5's (54 watt) (globes = R60 each) or Sylvania T5's (54 watt - globes R78 each)... It's just the balasts and that you pay ie. R140 for each (each balast can handle 2 x 54 watt globes) ;-)

No - don't you worry - I also have quite a few T8 globes before I upgraded to metal halides..... And everyone said NO NO NO you MUST have Metal halides!
CRAP!

I am currently keeping some corals (Rob's) in a seperate tank of mine under 2 x 30 watt T8's - and the corals are fluorishing!!!!

You must post some pics of your tank and setup - and NO - we promise NOT to laugh! ;-)

How much crap does that skimmer pull out? How many fish do you have?

Reaction score
Thanks NEil - Y not get yourself some T5's? You could get Lohuis T5's (54 watt) (globes = R60 each) or Sylvania T5's (54 watt - globes R78 each)... It's just the balasts and that you pay ie. R140 for each (each balast can handle 2 x 54 watt globes) ;-)

No - don't you worry - I also have quite a few T8 globes before I upgraded to metal halides..... And everyone said NO NO NO you MUST have Metal halides!
CRAP!

I am currently keeping some corals (Rob's) in a seperate tank of mine under 2 x 30 watt T8's - and the corals are fluorishing!!!!

You must post some pics of your tank and setup - and NO - we promise NOT to laugh! ;-)

How much crap does that skimmer pull out? How many fish do you have?
jacques, i run coralvue's 400w mh bulbs with their electronic ballast in luminarc reflectors on my tank and i tell you since i went to mh my corals average +- 10mm min a month withand the colours are really good

Reaction score
Welcome Niel :D

Reaction score
jacques, i run coralvue's 400w mh bulbs with their electronic ballast in luminarc reflectors on my tank and i tell you since i went to mh my corals average +- 10mm min a month withand the colours are really good
Nice Lighting :thumbup:
I'm sure those corals are growing like wildfire !

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Bernic - yes - I can appreciate it. I saw the tank - also saw J's tank, and Puppy's. All with 400 watt Metal Halides (Coral Vue's).

I can CLEARLY see the difference in the corals... For me it's just a "toss-up" between the coral growth and the electricity usage :)

Reaction score
Pics coming soon. Not much to see other than the bare rocks and substrate and the sump stuff. Jacques where is the best place to get t5 lights and ballasts? Been around and they all have the "boer maak n plan" ballasts and the lights are much more expensive. Thanks again