NEW

Hi Ann, wlecome to MASA, do you have a tank as yet or are you just setting out?

Welcome to MASA ANN!!! Give us details and loads of pics!!

Hi There Wee-man. Yes I Have A Small 130l Nano Reef Tank Which I've Started About 4mnths Ago. I Started By Adding Live Rock And 3 Black Mollys, Testing Water Daily All Was Fine. 3 Weeks Later Mollys Gave Birth 2 Weeks Later All Fine So I Bought My First Fish. 2 Clowns 2 Flame Fish 2 Pajama Cardinals 2 Blue Yellow Damsels And 1 Canary Wrasse. Iknow Iknow Too Much At One Time But I Was Soooooooo Excited In The Petshop I Lost All My Better Judgement!!! The Next Day I Saw That One Of My Clowns Had Itsy Bitsy Small Spots On But Being New To It All I Took No Notice.(big Mistake!!) Needless To Say Now Im Stuck With Sick Fish!! I Need Help I Think Its Marine Ich Or Velvet. One Clown Died This Morning. What Can I Do??

Hi There Wee-man. Yes I Have A Small 130l Nano Reef Tank Which I've Started About 4mnths Ago. I Started By Adding Live Rock And 3 Black Mollys, Testing Water Daily All Was Fine. 3 Weeks Later Mollys Gave Birth 2 Weeks Later All Fine So I Bought My First Fish. 2 Clowns 2 Flame Fish 2 Pajama Cardinals 2 Blue Yellow Damsels And 1 Canary Wrasse. Iknow Iknow Too Much At One Time But I Was Soooooooo Excited In The Petshop I Lost All My Better Judgement!!! The Next Day I Saw That One Of My Clowns Had Itsy Bitsy Small Spots On But Being New To It All I Took No Notice.(big Mistake!!) Needless To Say Now Im Stuck With Sick Fish!! I Need Help I Think Its Marine Ich Or Velvet. One Clown Died This Morning. What Can I Do??

It does sound like the fish have C. Irritans which is a parasite that burrows in to the flesh of the fish and eats it, the only real cure (despite many myths) is to quarrantine the fish in another tank and treat with a copper based medication, this doesn't sound possible for you though, i think it is unlikely for you to be able to set one up in time, there is a chance that a healthy fish can survive long enough for the parasite's cycle to complete and drop off to lay eggs, but you will still face the cycle once the young have hatched.

Welcome to a great hobby Ann. I would copy Wee man. Nice fish collection; however as you said "to many". Flames will also fight in such a small tank. Good luck and please keep us posted.

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Ann! Good luck with your sick fish.
The very best remedy is indeed copper treatment. BUT not in your main display tank.
Other alternatives you can try:
- lower the salinity in your tank to 1.018 IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY INVERTEBRATES in the tank
- increase the heat of the water to 28 degrees.... or even 29 degrees....
- try using Myxazin (supposedly "invertebrate friendly" medication)
- try using fresh garlic (crushed) with the fish food.... as long as the fish still eat healthily, they should be able to fight the c. irritans on their own....

Well - good luck - hope you get this sorted.....

welcome ann:) sounds like a small lesson you have read before has been reinforced:( Impulse buying is indeed my greatest weakness, mind you i suffer the same problem when faced with hand stiched italian shoes!)

give us an update on the fishes, i hope they hold it off and survive:) holding thumbs

hi there, water parameters? sorry new to it all if u mean the test i do its the following.
phosphate 0.5mg/L once a week
ammonia - .25mg/L every 3rd day
nitrate - 15mg/L 3rd day
nitrite - 0mg/L 3rd day
general hardness - 16dec dH 3rd day
carbonate hardness - 10dec dH 3rd day
ph - 8.0 3rd day

i do a 10% water change every two week and i clean my filter(bio) once a month. by clean i mean i rince bio balls and replace most of the floss keep some for bacteria.

i think i got the parasite when i bought my fish. i'm currently treating my tank with oodimedik coral antiseptic solution. do u know this product? i hope it works!

Welcome to MASA Ann :)
Please get rid of those bioballs as they are a nitrate factrory. Filter wool should be washed every day or 2.
Never heared of the product you using for treatment. I would go with what Jacques has mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom