New

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been into FW tanks since I was a kid and I have just started my first marine tank. My tank is still cycling but I have put some line rock in and a Damsel, I all so put some stuff in called Cycle, wich aparently lets me skip the three steps in the cycle proses. Is this true?

I was wondering where you all get your water from, as I wont to setup a water delivery servis. If you are intersted pls. let me know.

Thanks all.

welcometomasa

TANK-O-HOLICS, You have come to the right place for advice.

Using the poor damsel is not normal practice nowdays. LiveRock cycling is correct.

Not sure about the cycle product, maybe a gimmick.

Check out this thread to give you an idea where to start - Shopping List for total newbie

Thanks for the advise Warr7207 will let you know how the Cycle product go's. It is ment to put the benerfishel bacterier into the tank.

The water idear will be for Cape Town, its fillterd NSW.

Thanks for the advise Warr7207 will let you know how the Cycle product go's. It is ment to put the benerfishel bacterier into the tank.

The water idear will be for Cape Town, its fillterd NSW.

Can't go wrong with NSW. Check with some our Capetonians forum locals if there is a particular good spot for unpolluted NSW.

I have never used NSW, being up north

I know where I can get filterd NSW, My question is, If I wanted to start a company delivering the water in Cape Town would any one be introsted?

I know where I can get filterd NSW, My question is, If I wanted to start a company delivering the water in Cape Town would any one be introsted?

Get some up here :whistling:

I am sure the locals will comment

Last edited:

I stay in Bloemfontein, so this is not an issue for me, but here are some thoughts anyway :)

Although I consider NSW to be far superior to any synthetic mix, I would be very weary of buying it from someone I don't know...
  • I won't know where you get it from - e.g. the salinity in the harbour can vary rather dramatically, and IF you get the "filtered" water from Two Oceans it is harbour water.
  • How is the water filtered? Would you guarantee it to be free from pollutants as well as being "filtered"?
  • I consider the plankton in NSW to be one of it's advantages over synthetic, and in filtering it you will be removing this.
  • How will the water be stored and transported - any contact with metal (even stainless steel) is a no-no. This includes contact with brass fittings, bearings, etc. in "normal" sea water pumps and pipes...
Hennie

welcometomasa

nice see some new people grab a chair.... sit down .....and have a coffee, the cycle stuff i have used that before i did not see the benifit of using it, live sand or live rock or both is the best natural way to go.Live in a bottle sounds a bit fisshy if you know what i mean????

Welcome, and enjoy your stay.

Welcome to MASA Tank-o-Holics! I am sure that there might be a market for this - As not all of the Cpe Town reefers have the possibility to get the water they require...
What would your rates be and how would you decanter it? What containers do you expect the reefers to have?

Hi there,

I would not use NSW unless it came from 2OC or the research institute. I say this mainly because it has at least been through some filtration and there is a degree of testing.

You can offer a service to deliver, I think that is a good idea as there are many people who want to have a tank but cannot change their water etc.. mainly disabled fishkeepers. There are some lFS that do not provide NSW collection points, maybe you can strike a deal with them..

Muz

Welcome to MASA!

I still have to work out the details, but the water will come from the research institute. Will have a 1000L plastic tank on the back of a bukkie with a pump and piping. Did not know about "no metal contact story", will have to research that, sure I can work around that.

Yeah - Tank-o-Holics - you must just be sure not to have any COPPER especially get into contact with the water..... Because copper could cause major crap with inverts (poisonous to inverts)....

BUT, your idea is cool! You must just work out your costs. The LFS in Bothasig does this sometimes for people - they charge R200 for 1000 litres (that's what I paid last)....

Back
Top Bottom