New Toy - Boyu intermittant switching timer

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hiya all! I am ONE step closer to achieving a "cheap" DIY wavemaker...

Yesterday, I went to my LFS to acquire some goodies for my new sea horse tank.... ie. water level alarm, digital thermometer, AND:

a Boyu intermittant switching timer:
99c1_1.jpg

NOW - this device cost me: R89!!!!!

My 2 x ReSun's are now being switched ON and OFF intermittantly.... BUT - this is a 220 volt device.... Meaning I am still using my standard ReSun wavemaker/timer and power-supply - So, I now have to figure out how to get my standard ReSun wavemaker/timer to ONLY stay at 15000 litres/hour!

Anyone know how to do that??

So - what ya all think?

those switches are damn nice.
also want to know how to keep it at 15000l/h:whistling:

Jaq where did you get it

yip i saw them about 5months ago, they work nicely.

ferdie has them on his boyu powerheads,switching between the two( i think i must get me one aswell,didn't know one can run the resun wm on them)

nice toy jacques!What is the use of the wavemaker then.cant you just cut it off and just connect the pumps to the new toy???

NO, The resun WM is a 24v system I think, it would pop it in a second.

Also have 2 Resun WM, will pop the cover and check the electronics, should be able to do it;)

You 100% correct lIghty - the pumps are 24 volt.... I presume that the actual voltage drop down and recifiers sits in the power-supply, and NOT in the wavemaker/timer?

If this indeed the case, then it should be as easy as connecting the wiring that comes from the pump, to the wiring that goes to the power-supply (bypassing the wavemaker / controller).....

You 100% correct lIghty - the pumps are 24 volt.... I presume that the actual voltage drop down and recifiers sits in the power-supply, and NOT in the wavemaker/timer?

If this indeed the case, then it should be as easy as connecting the wiring that comes from the pump, to the wiring that goes to the power-supply (bypassing the wavemaker / controller).....

No, I've put the output on my ocsiliscope and it is a type of PWM, so don't think it would work....:whistling:

lIghty - I found the following as well:
(From: URL: Resun Waver 15000 [Archive] - Atlanta Reef Club Forums)
"An additional note: I hacked the controller off and wired the brick directly to the pump. Oddly the transformer kicks zero volts out. It must need a specific load before it will push full voltage out... probably a safety feature. The transformer still will power the controller and the pump when wired back up. Unfortunately I don't have a power supply that kicks out 24v at 1500ma that I can use to get this in my tank for long term testing. I plan on ordering one for $10 and see how long the pump will run full out. I did try it out at 12v with a PC power supply in a test and the pump fired right up but obviously at around half power."

Hi guys - I had another look at my ReSun Waver and power-supply over the weekend, and it now makes much more sense - AND NOT!

The standard power-supply that comes with the ReSun Waver is an AC-to-AC step-down transformer only. NO SMOOTHING of the power-signal, and not rectifying....
The pump itself is DC - so, the rectifying and smoothing of the signals happen in the actual timer box itself.

The timer box contains the rectifier as well as the smoothing capacitors.

So - I will HAVE to look at DIY'ing a power-supply for my 2 ReSun's (from 220Volt AC down to 24 volt DC) - I wonder if I use a 30volt DC, whether I will get MORE OOMPH out of my DC ReSun pumps?

Those dem power-supplies, and 2 boxes to put the power-heads/pumps in, is all I now still need to get my wave-maker up and running!

Back
Top Bottom