new to this

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Justin123, 19 Aug 2013.

1. Justin123

Justin123

Good day.

ok so i need help/advice on a aquarium, i currently have no experience but have always been fascinated about owning a fish tank. My daughter has recently discovered the movie finding Nemo so this is my chance to start up a tank (using my daughter as an excuse lol)

so my question is would a 1200mm x 450mm x 450mm tank be large enough to have a pair of clownfish?

what other fish would they get along with? (in general)

and what species of clownfish is best suited to "tank Life" lol im thinking of Amphiprion percula.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cassie1

cassie1

Good afternoon Justin,

That's a great reason to start lol.

Yes that size will be large enough to host a pair of clownfish. They are very friendly and reef safe fish. I have mine with some gobies, and chromies, firefish, foxface, yellow tang, dorry etc.

What hardware do you have for your tank?

4. Braco

Braco

First WELCOME...

Huh you scared him away when you said hardware...rather ask what other equipment do you have...a protein skimmer..powerheads..filtration method....how long has your tank cycled..do you know your current water parameters..gravity...salinity..temp..do you have any live rock..aragonite..
    well here is just a few things to concentrate on...read...read....read...

5. SeanR

SeanR

Welcome to MASA. Show us some pics of your setup

6. Justin123

Justin123 Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome.

lol like i said thats my excuse to start one, i currently do not have a set up.

thats why im asking the experts lol im actually going shopping on Saturday and have about 5k to get me started. My plan is to have fish in the tank in November, so im sure if i cycle the tank from Saturday till November should be enough time?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do not take your wallet with you.
    Go and do your window shopping. There are at times some systems here in the For Sale section that is really worthwhile. Do not spend your money on the first thing you see that looks cool. Cool might not be nice.

Being a beginner with no experience, I would suggest going for a system from 100L to 300L. 250L is nice, as all the equipment is reasonable priced while still giving you a big enough system for better stability and stocking options.

Yes, more than enough. Actually a very nice size to start with.

Justin123 likes this.
  8. CharlieB

CharlieB

Hi Justin,

I am also new to this so I am no expert but I am learning a few things fast through trial and error. Till November will be more then long enough for the tank to cycle. Most people say it takes up to six weeks for a tank to cycle. Also as has already been stated read as much as you can and take things slow. Just a heads up as well 5k might be a bit tight for a 1.2m setup considering all the equipment you have to buy etc. Ive spent that amount on setting up a small 120l tank without a sump and only had it for a month. That being said the cost will decrease once everything has settled and stabilized and and if you take it slow it will be a lot easier and it really is an awsum hobby! Of course you can also get second had equipment for good prices.

Best of luck and post pics when you can!

Last edited: 20 Aug 2013
    Justin123 likes this.
Recent Posts