New to this/Need some help with the setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by angelboy, 29 Nov 2007.

1. angelboy

angelboy

Hi there
    Need some help with the setup that i have bought. The lights at what time must it come on anything else that i can look at to get for the setup. The carbon reactor dont want to spin the carbon around in it.

2m Complete Setup
    • Tank 2000 x 600 x 600mm - 10mm glass.
    • Stand - 25mm square tubing - Powder Coated
    • Canopy. Lights separated from the 'saltwater elements' by glass. Three fans in the hood with extraction system to extract the warm moist air out the house. Helps prevent heat buildup in the room.
    • Lights. 2 x 150w MH (Venture). 4 x t8 actinics (1.2m). Two channel digital timer
    • Sump. 1200 x 450 x 400. DSB / refugium in centre compartment. Three heaters (I forget the wattages). Berlin Classic Skimmer with Eheim 1060 feeding it. King 5 return pump. Electronic auto top-up with high level sensor capability. DIY Kalkwasser reactor connected to auto top-up. Carbon "reactor" Aqua Medic. Small UV Steriliser.
    • I guess about close to 100kg of rock. A mixture of locally collected Sandstone, local live rock, ceramic fake rock and imported live rock.
    • External DSB with AM aragonite (+-200mm deep)
    • 2 x Seio 1100's and 1 x Ocean Runner circulating in tank. 2 x SCWDs on return piping.
    • A pile of assorted extras that have been retired from active service at some stage.
    • Livestock - Star polyps - Green ; 2 x rose colrals ; Frogspawn ; Hammer coral ; 3 small toadstool leathers ; zooanthids - green, brown ; Elephant ears - green striped, brown, purple ; 1 x Blue Pete ; 1 x Mandarin ; 1 Carpet Anemone.
    • Water holding containers - 5 x 200l
    • Water transport tank - 1000l

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

are you selling seperatley by any chance?and prices please

4. angelboy

angelboy Thread Starter

I dont sell it. Have just bought it and just need some help on it. Have copy the post and forget to delete the first part.

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I fink 'es just bought that little lot bruv, and wants to know how to play with it;)

Welcome to the board Angelboy.
    Is the tank is actually set up? i assume it is, but i thought i would check

If it is, then let it settle down before you fiddle with it, i imagine there will be some upset corals for a week or two.

Lighting - you will probably get a different answer from everyone on here, but here is what my lights are set for.

Actinics -on at 11:30am off at 11pm
    Halides -on at 12:30am off at 10:30pm

This give the fish a gentle wake up and gentle send off at night (dusk and dawn light if you will) it is supposed to help calm the fish

6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I was also a bit confused:blushing:

Hi angelboy and :welcometomasa2:

7. angelboy

angelboy Thread Starter

Sorry guys for that. But have change it. Hi to u all. Any help will be of great value.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome AngelBoy! OK - where to start???

Here's some questions for you:
    - what are you planning to keep?
    - what have you read up so far about marines?
    - have you kept marines before? and fresh water?
    - I can only presume that you have the setup then already installed at your house, right? if so, then this will determine how we can assist you.... If not... then we can ask some more questions....

Good luck...

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

lol sorry :lol: Welcome to MASA.

10. Tridan

Tridan

Welcome to MASA, angelboy

11. DragonReef

DragonReef

Welcome Angelboy. Will jump in and help a bit later ;)

12. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome Angelboy

As JaquesB says, let us know whether it is set up yet, if so (and even if its not) pics are a great help.
    What do you plan on keeping in the future, and yes what experience have you got.

But fear not, we WILL be able to help, some clever guys lurking on this forum

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

welcometomasa

14. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hey Angelboy, welcome to MASA, gr8 to have you on board. The light timing that Weeman gave you is spot on to what i run mine at, like to enjoy the tank in the evening after work.

15. sandersc

sandersc

Hi Angelboy , welcome from another new member. Great guys (and girls) on this site. They will definitely go that extra mile to help. ( the mile is for Wee-Man to let him feel at home as well). Enjoy it,I am very jealous that you have a tank thats already up and running. I'll pray that everything goes well with your tank and its inhabitants.

Sanders

PS How did you find a tank like that in Welkom?

16. angelboy

angelboy Thread Starter

Hi there guys thanks for making me welcome. Have bought the tank from dwed in Durban. It's up and runing. Start with a freshwater tank about 12years ago about 3years ago install it at work. About May/June this year i bout a tank for marine in Welkom. The tank setup aint for marine and lost a few things then i start looking around and then i saw this tenk on this forum under for sale. With the moving i have first lost my way becuase of a accident on the highway and had to take a detor, then i have cut my finger badly and had to go to the hospital and then broke the uv steriliser. Now the tank is up and running. Have move some of the guys water with me. Will post some pics soon. Like to have a few fish and some corals. No my ph, nitrites and amoniac levels, but what must my ca and iron level be and what else must i test.

17. Kanga

Damn Angelboy some bad luck there Hope the finger is OK now.

Right you are up and running, for now the important parameters IMO is Salinity, temp, Nitrate, Nitrite and ammonia. Alk and calcium etc at a later stage after the cycle

I take it your DSB is the one you got from Dewd?

Your flow pumps are up and running?

Lights are on a timer?

Skimmer is running? clean it regularly especially in the beginning, you would have had some die off during transport

You are going to have some algea growth some cyno etc dont stress about that, but i assume your cycle will be shorter using an existing DSB with Live rock.

You look set with a good start

Use this time during the cycle to familiarize yourself with the equipment and their working and ask as many questions as you can think of, the only stupid questions are the ones that you dont ask,

Good luck and we are looking forward to the pics

18. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Check the nitrite regularly. That would indicate when your cycle is finished. You will see it rise in the next week or two and then it will slowly come down. Once it is on 0 again, your cycle would be finished and you can start adding live stock.

IMO I would leave the lights off until then. I'm not sure if it will have any negative effects. But it will help lessen the algae break out.

19. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Wee-Man, don't you mean on at 12:30 PM?

20. Kanga

Gali, I would have the lights on during the cycle, the algae is all part of it. Youll find if you only switch the lights on after the cycle you have little C02 bubbles all over the place and then the algae starts, a second mini cycle.

IMHO get it over and done with.

But hey this is just my opinion;) I would imagine both ways have their merrits

21. palmerc

palmerc

Hi Angelboy,

You bought the tank in May/June. Was it set up at that time as well? If so your cycle should be over now and then it is just a case of finetuning/adding/upgrading/tweaking your system as you go along.

Depending on what you want to keep and what your future plans are areas I would look at for now are lighting (may need to increase this) and flow (also need more flow IMO). But take it slow, see what others are doing and add as you need to.

Clinton

Recent Posts