New to the reef

JNP

Reaction score
Hi all, This is a great site. Have decided to change from fresh to salt water. So am totally new to setting up a marine tank. Thinking of strating with a Jebo R338 which use to house freshwater fish. Is this possible??

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
welcometomasa

It is possible to use a fresh watr tank, but you may need to do some minor mods to the plumbing.

Give us a pic of the tank

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA.
I would suppose the Jebo comes with T8 bulbs. Fine for fish,but for corals i would recommend atleast T5's (modifications to the hood).
How many Litres is the tank?Tank dimensions?
If possible try and get the tank drilled for an overflow to add on a sump, otherwise get yourself a hang on Overflow box. Check with our sponsors for the Reefoctopus range they work well.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Hey JNP

Welcome to MASA. I'm running a jebo R138 (basically same as 338) as a reef tank. You're very limited as to what fish you can put in there. (basically 1 or 2 small clowns/damsels). It also fluctuates a lot temperature and parameter wise. It's not very easy to add a sump or protein skimmer to it as well. Basically in short, it's better to build a tank. If you like the sort of "all in one" look with the rounded glass etc the BOYU TL-450 and TL-550 are pretty good as marine tanks.

JNP

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Excuse the ignorance, but do I need to add a protein skimmer and/or sump to the tank. I read that there is something called a natural system, still trying to figure out how well that works.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!!! :wave2:

You don't need a skimmer on a smaller tank with a small bio-load (less fish). If you do your 10% water changes every week you'll be fine. Also don't over feed ;)

Do you homework thoroughly before making your decision, good planning always pays at the end :)
O ja, and most guys here have a lot of experience - you can take their advice with pleasure ;)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A very WARM welcome to MASA JNP! Very glad that you joined us! Please have a look around and read as much as you possibly can. Read many of the other threads in our "New Members" forum....

Also - please ask as many questions as it will take to get you to become a successful reefer!

Good luck on your journey mate!

JNP

Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome. The advice is great. I'll try using a natural system for the interim.