New to the marine aquarium world

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Breado, 16 Jan 2014.

1. Breado

Breado

Hi All

I have been a member of MASA and reading the awesome content here for the past 2 years or so. Finally decided to take the leap from the freshwater aquarium world to the marine aquarium world with motivation from my wife :)

I am currently in the phase of sourcing the required equipment and modifying the sump system on the setup.

The tank will be a 1.5m*65cm*65cm cabinet setup. The cabinet has a panel in the centre so the sump will be a 2 piece with dimension of 60cm*45cm*36cm connected with 2 50mm pvc pipes 10cm above the base of each sump. I calculated the volume to be approx 768l using the expected water level in the DT and sump.

I am laying out the sump as follow but all advice is appreciated before I get the sump siliconed.

Sump1
    Chamber 1 10cm: inlet from DT
    Chamber 2 30cm: Skimmer
    Chamber 3 20cm: Empty for any future reactors etc

Ito this sump, I read other threads here which advised the positioning of the baffles: i.e. for chamber 1 baffle will end at 3cm from the base (to ensure maximum amount of water reaching the bottom of the skimmer chamber to maximise the skimming) and 5 cm from the top of the sump (to prevent any overflowing if the chamber gets clogged). The baffles between chambers 2 and 3 will begin on the base and end 5cm before the top of the sump. I am not sure if I need a baffle before the 2 50mm outflows into the 2nd sump to reduce bubbles?

Sump 2
    Chamber 1 5cm: inlet from 1st sump
    Chamber 2 30cm: planned 15cm deep DSB? Will this work/add value to the setup?
    Chamber 3 17.5cm: return pump
    Chamber 4 17.5cm*45cm*35cm: RO top up storage

Ito sump 2, the water flows into chamber 1 and fills up to 25cm (baffle from base to 20cm), then flows over to chamber 2 flowing over the DSB. The water then flows into chamber 3 and back to the DT.

All advice welcome :thumbup:

As a start, I purchased Jagga's Aquaria skimmer rated 1200lph. Sump 1 is being modified and sump 2 is being built. To be safe I am resealing the DT with some Den Braven aquasilicon.

The tank has 2 T5 4ft 6500k tubes. I will add another 6-8 T5 fittings and change the tubes.

Flow: I was thinking of 1 Jebao WP40 (13000 lph) wavemaker on one side and on the other end 1 SunSun JV 202 (12000 lph). There will be constant flow with pulses from the WP40?

Return pump - What flow should I aim for in consideration of the skimmer rating? Height from sump to DT is around 1.8m.

Substrate - I am thinking of Caribsea Aragmax sugarfine. How many kgs will be required? Will 27kgs be ok?

DSB - should I use the Caribsea Aragmax or something else. I was thinking of collecting some and from the sea whlst in Durbs in April - is this suitable?

All advice welcome as I want to get this right...

Thanks

Regards
    Breado

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zandy

Zandy

Photo's ? And good luck...sure it will be an awesome tank

4. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Off to a good start. Id be weary to join sumps with rigid pipes as they may be a slight shift if not correctly filled, id rather connect with a silicone pipe of sorts. others may have other suggestions.

With the sump just make sure you have enough capacity for water that is siphoned back into sump when power fails as i notice u running ur baffles quite high.

5. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Thanks Hammerhead, will take that into consideration...

I see you from my home town, my parents are still living there. :)

6. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Marine_Tank.jpg

Marine Sump1.jpg

Marine_Tank.jpg

Marine Sump1.jpg

7. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

This was the original sump, which is being modified for the marine setup

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Another option, drill the one sump in the front, and the other at the back. Use bulkheads and 90 degree elbows with short connection piece in between. Even if the holes are not the same height, it will still work. One can be higher than the other.
    The connection will look like a [FONT=&quot]
    ʃ

[/FONT]

Last edited: 16 Jan 2014
  9. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, great suggestion

10. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Whats your opinion on the flow pump:

Flow: I was thinking of 1 Jebao WP40 (13000 lph) wavemaker on one side and on the other end 1 SunSun JV 202 (12000 lph). There will be constant flow with pulses from the WP40?

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That will give you a 50 times turnover rate.

both powerful pumps, seeing that you have a 1.5m tank, it should be OK.

But can result in sand storms. But that does depend on final position of the pumps and the rock work position.

12. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan

I have read that the size of my proposed DSB is small. will my proposed size still add some value?
    If it would add some value, do I use the same substrate as in the tank or something else, and wuld anyone advise using sand from the KZN beaches (that which is still under the water)?

13. Jinx

Jinx

Hey man welcome nice tank

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is the size compared to your display.

Smallest DSB in relation to display I ever run was 33%. But it was a lightly stocked tank at that time. No BIG fish either.

15. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Hi Riaan

I am looking at a 30cm*45cm and a 15cm of sand

Tank and sump water volume at intended water levels was calculated at approx 698 litres.

16. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Also not intending to keep a heavily stocked tank and probably will be a FOWLR until I learned and experienced enough to try other variations.

Looking at a shoal of 4-6 chromis or damsels, a pr of clowns, a trio of Anthias, a wrasse, 1-2 tangs, 4-6 Banggai cardinals and a few inverts - you guys can help me out here if my choices are not suitable for the setup...

17. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Can some please advise me on how many kgs of substrate I would require for this tank - length 1.5m, width 60cm.

Planning to use Caribsea Aragonite - Fiji Pink and maybe some Caribsea Arag Alive if it can be mixed for use in the aquarium?

Thanks

18. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

The dsb as a filtration "module" will be wholly insufficient, yet will serve well as a refuge area for critters to thrive and in turn supply a few snacks of live food for tank inhabitants.
    Depending on your intended tank inhabitants, i would not recommend any substrate in tank, but if you must the sugar fine stuff is awesome.
    Collecting live sand from our warm coast does add biodiversity and it is often recommended to keep a sandbed ticking to regularly add live sand, but it is hardly needed. It will eventually populate itself with miriads of critters originating from the same area our tankmates.... This way >>> Less entities which are possibly an unknown factor to the immunoresponse of your tankmates...

Quantity of substrate totally dependant on depth, goigle for a substrate calculator, iirc correctly, caribsea should have one on their site.

Flow will hardly be sufficient, again... Largely dependent on intended charges... ;) ...? For fowlr as a starter, intended will be ok for now.

Why so many lights for a fowl? Thats ten in total or 12 if my brain is functioning....
    It seldom does....
    Will there be space in the hood to have each in its own reflector? If not, then fit in the max you can with reflectors (the good ones)...... Or make eskom richer......

Have a look at some phosphate media, and one of the newer means of nutrient control to take care of what your sandbed wont. Orca biocubes, biopellets, liquid carbon dosing, etc etc etc.

19. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

You didnt mention quantity if LR, just remember to keep the scaping as open as possible, especially relevant if there is a sandbed in tank

20. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php

you can use this to calculate it.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your display footprint is 1500*650mm
    Your proposed DSB is 450*300mm
    So your DSB will end up being 14% the size of your display.

Too small to be really effective. Unless you will change the sump, rather look at other options for filtration.

Recent Posts