New to the hobby

Discussion in 'New Members' started by captainpms, 20 Aug 2013.

1. captainpms

captainpms

hi guys!!

i have had fish for the past 10 years but they have always been fresh water with frontosas being my favorite fish in the world!!

due to limited space i have decided to start a nano marine aquarium and got myself a boyu 450 from a buddy. the tank came with live sand a mature water.

I need advice?

the tank is set up and running. I want to add some liverock before i consider getting any fish....

WHAT DO I DO? where do i get liverock in the cape town area? what test kits do i NEED to have?

I want to add two false percula clown fish maybe a cleaner shrimp and a goby (not sure which one)

right now i feel like such a noob as i am really excited to get it filled up but have no idea which step should be next

please guys any advice would really be appreciated....

:thanks:

STC-1000 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Braco

Braco

Welcome firstly..there are a host of LFS you can purchase live rock from..and added equipment should you require. Check MASA sponsors and it could give you an indication for preference. Setting up marines we all have our own techniques and what works for us..aside from keeping fish the major part of running a successful reef is it's water parameters..get your water in check...and man-o-man not matter what you add will multiply...well at least thats whats happening currently in my set-up..what's also very important is to add pictures to show improvements adn monitoring this will make assisting you very easy.

4. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

Hi @captainpms and Welcome to MASA you will get plenty info here.

First off you will need some live rock as it will help put beneficial bacteria into your tank as well as giving some hiding places for your livestock(helps with the stress of the fish). However when you put the live rock into the new tank you will have die off of bacteria and critters in the live rock, which will cause and ammonia spike. Even though you are starting with Marine water and live sand you need to make sure that your ammonia levels and nitrite levels are 0 before adding live stock. A new tank takes about a month to 6 weeks to cycle but you have a head start with your salt water and live sand, so my advise is once you've added the rock get a test kit from a LFS - Local Fish Store(I really Like the red sea Marine care test kit) and test your water every couple of days until your ammonia and nitrite is 0.

You also need to make sure you have a Protein Skimmer and a small powerhead to create flow in the tank.

have a look at the sponsors page there are quite a few from CT. any other questions just shout :thumbup:

Edit: there are a couple articles here which are great for beginners

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. captainpms

captainpms Thread Starter

@Braco @MaximusZA

Thank you guys for the feedback and advice!!! :)

so first i will get myself some liverock and then test kit and take it from there?

i am excited to add fish but will be patient and will do so once water parameters are in order

6. Braco

Braco

where you are now each one of us were there once upon a time...;)

7. captainpms

i feel like i have just left primary school and am now in high school

time to start learning from the beginning :blush:

8. SeanR

SeanR

Welcome to MASA. You will really enjoy marines trust me.
    I use to only keep and breed frontosas was considered the frontosa man of Cape Town.
    I have made the transition to marines and so far enjoying it much more than everything else I have ever kept.
    Trust me anything you need to know just ask, the guys and gals on Masa are very helpful.

kind regards
    Sean

9. Bonehead

Bonehead

Dont forget the refractometer and thermometer! Essentials. Anyway enjoy-the key to a good reef is not expensive hardware or fancy additives but patience

10. Braco

Braco

Believe me marines has it's own Varsity too..:)

11. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

Welcome to MASA.

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:welcomewave: Have fun.
    Firstly, I would use base rock and then use a bacterial product like seachems stability to start a marine tank. Live rock might contain critters (like aiptasia) that you will find very difficult to get rid of later in the tanks cycle period or life. In terms of test kits I would start with the nitrate test kit and pH as you add corals you will need to get Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium test kits. Don't waste your money on an Ammonia and Nitrite test kit because when you tank is finished cycling you will never use these again, in the beginning get your water tested at your closest LFS for Ammonia and Nitrate.

Percs and cleaner shrimp are great beginner fish and invertebrate, a goby is also cool, you just need to decide which one. Just remember that you will need to think about your future stocking plans as well.
    Here are few threads you can read that are very helpfull.
    Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Easy Soft Corals For Your Reef Tank - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Fish recommended for Small Marine tanks - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums South Africa
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Above all, be patient.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  13. captainpms

thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

thank you for this!! i am very excited but i do know that theres no rushing in this hobby so i dont mind taking my time

so you dont think i have to buy the full marine test kit with everything included just yet?

I will be starting with some live rock and the percs and will on worry about corals in a few months time

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

If you have access to a local marine fish shop that can do the NH4 (ammonia) and NO2 (nitrites) test, then no. When you tank is cycled, which will take about six weeks, you wont need to test again. Go into your LFS every two weeks to test your water for NH4 and NO3 after that keep and eye on your NO3 (nitrates), testing weekly at home.

15. captainpms

makes sense to me... thanks you saved me some money :)

16. the fish

the fish

masahello

and lol at your nic. gr8 stuff

17. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

:welcometomasa2:welcometomasa:welcometomasa2:

18. captainpms

thank you guys!!

i have been doing alot of research but i am getting conflicting results.

can someone please advise how much kg's of live rock would be sufficient in the boyu 450 and also which type (indo or fiji) should i get?

19. the fish

the fish

in a 450 can go up to 8kg of LR. doesn't matter which you go with. also if you add more pieces it will start restricting flow in the tank and cause dead spots. then a second flow pump will have to be added to blow behind the rock so settlement wont settle there.

20. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the general idea is to have about 1lb of live rock to 1 gallon of water or in other words 0.5kg live rock to 2 litters of water. the more the merrier :)

21. captainpms

thanks but the problem i am sitting is its a 58 litre tank and for every kilo live rock water will be displaced so i dont know how much water will be left so i dont know how much live rock to add lol

i am confusing myself haha.... but if it can go upto 8 kg's i will start with about 4 and add more until i am happy with the way it looks :)

also i have another powerhead in tank so it should ensure that there are no dead spots
    and thanks the fish the nic is actually my psn id and i decided to use it here as well :)

Recent Posts