New to the hobby

Reaction score
Hi All

Just joined today. My interest started during our recent holiday to East London. My best friends son started a marine aquarium about 10 months ago. Being a rock and surf fishing fanatic, I was amazed at the tranquility and peacefulness and just losing my self-watching the marine fish [clowns, jumping beans and dominos] in there own little world.
I’m totally new to this game and hope and sure I will learn much before starting. Just reading a few threads I see there is a long road ahead. Can any one please advise if there is a marine shop in the Pretoria area? I do have a week left before back to work and would like to browse around and ask question. Thank you and all the best for the new year that lies ahead.

Reaction score
:yeahdude: Welcome to MASA!!

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA - mesmorising isn't it, i love having non reefy friends over to my house, at least half an hour of silence follow the sight if the tank, then the questions start, are they palnts? - no, corals are animals, what's that snail? err, it's a hermit crab, etc,etc, glad you have joined the fun:)

Reaction score
petmasters in boksburg there is another one in boksburg cant remember the name they are amazing i moved from jhb to richards bay so i cant go check hope you will be filling the tanks soon and post some pics

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Welcome to the "Dark Side", Bruce.

Where is Moolis's shop, is that not in Pretoria somewhere? There also used to be a petshop north of the berg, towards the western end of Zambesi drive (Wonderboom??) - near a place called Wonderwater, if I remember correctly (it's been some years, though...)

Hennie

Reaction score
Welcome Bruce, Time to have some fun & fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
welcometomasa Bruce.

You should have joined the forums while you were still in East London. There's plenty to see around here. ;)

Reaction score
Welcome Bruce,

I would definatly recommend Moolis at Pet Stop in Rietfontein. He always has a great selection of corals. And he is always getting new stuff in, he also has a wealth of information.

Also if you are in the Boksburg area 'Exotic Aquariums' is worth a visit.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Bruce! Welcome to MASA! Please ask as many questions as you can - don't feel stupid about anything. Rather ask the questions and try things right the first time, than make TOO many stupid mistakes which costs the lives of fish dearly, and can be a VERY expensive exercise to you.