New to The hobby Starting help

Discussion in 'New Members' started by johnrosshorn, 29 Oct 2013.

1. johnrosshorn

johnrosshorn

Hi Guys

Please I'm in need of some assistance here, more about the amount of money i will need to start this up, who can give me some estamate as to what i need and when?

Im looking in building the tank up over the following 3 to 4 months, but need to get most of the stuff to start the tank and so on. So if you can help please give me a break down of what you think im gona be paying.

I have been in fish tanks for 4 years now. but the marine side is...

:thumbup::)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome.

I suggest you go around to the local Sponsors.
    Look at the Sponsors page for more detail
    But in Pretoria Moot - Pet Stop
    Pretoria East - Dream Reef
    Centurion - Dorry Pets
    Midrand - Idol Marine

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hi john

welcome to the forum

for us to more accuratley help you we will need to know a few specifics of the proposed system

aim of the set up? softies, lps or sps
    tech level of the system ? advanced computerised or basic.
    lighting direction: led t5 or hailide.

the best advice i could offer you is for you to find a system you would most like your system to mimic and look at the tech level.. a nice place to start is the tank of the month threads on the various forums...

alot of bargains can be found in our for sale forum and it can assist in lightening the burden of financial outlay

hoping we can be of assistance in answering your questions and starting you off on your marine journey...

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
  5. jimilutz

jimilutz

In this subject, size counts. I would advise a noob to work on R5000 per 100litres as a starting guide.

6. johnrosshorn

johnrosshorn Thread Starter

would like to go softies and lps, was looking at starting basic but with the possiblity to grow as i get addicted quikly to something that fasinates me... lets say a basic 300 liter display tank with 150 liter sump

7. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

When I started I was looking at the cost of new stuff and trying to figure out how much it would cost to put it all together but then I decided to do more research and keep an eye on the FOR SALE section. I first wanted to start small but from what I noticed alot of guys start small and end up upgrading to something bigger. So I decided to go big. I got a good deal and took it and never looked back. My advice would be to look at a tank of around 1.2m to 1.5m long and then look at a skimmer to match. Then lighting and pumps. All of these you can get at good prices in the FOR SALE section. Remember patience is key to this hobby.

8. johnrosshorn

I am looking at the 1.2m range 300 luter, I know im gona go bigger but think should start there, think I will monitor the forsale part for a setup to buy.

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

If I may ask, what are you looking to spend on the setup?

10. johnrosshorn

Well I was looking at around 10k to 15k over the next 3 to 4 months, I know marine is not cheap

11. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

To start costs an arm and a leg but once everything is up and running it gets better. Start with the basics first, Tank, Skimmer, Lights and Pump. Try getting a system with a sump, that way you increase your tank volume and it can aid with filtration etc.

12. Dave F

Dave F

You won't need lights for the time that it takes your tank to cycle. I started almost two years ago, after researching for about two years. Perky pets in Cape Town were helpful, during my start up. If you are happy to start with second hand equipment, if cash is a problem, and then build up your equipment over time it could save you some money. Live rock, and aragonite can be very expensive. I think 10-15k can get going reasonably well.

13. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

14. johnrosshorn

Dude i like ow you one for that spot.. im looking at it now. I see you live in Thaba i lived there 2 years with the family.

15. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

No probs. Thaba is a bit different to Jozi and quiet. Peace and quiet and no worry about crime. Sleep with house doors open and my vehicles stand open 24hrs a day and no problems. I can go away for a weekend with everything open and all is still there when I return. A BIG plus, NO TRAFFIC and NO TAXI PROBLEMS and NO E-TOLL's.

16. johnrosshorn

Yes i agree, just that you die of heat in summer, hehe, still want to come back there for the wilds fees, thats held every year around 3de May.

17. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I missed this years festival due to being on standby but looking forward to next year. By the way you can also post a thread under the wanted section for a tank. You will find it in the For Sale section plus brows a couple of pages in the General Marine Sales section. You are bound to get a reply or find something worth your while.

18. johnrosshorn

I Will do so right now, im really exited to get up and started, i have been postponing this for 3 years now...

19. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Just remember to take it slow, research, research, research and don't be afraid to ask questions. We are all here to help.

Recent Posts