New to the hobby, fighting algae need help identifying this??

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Urgently require your help,

My tank is 7 months old, nitrates and phosphates are low,
I've taken my lighting down and reduced the running time (7 Hours low whites)

Maintenance 10% water change weekly, feeding once a day dry foods,

Not dosing anything, using RO water with HW Marine salt

Can anyone help ID this algae its a bit stringy and green brown in color

TIA

Attachments

Reaction score
Get yourself a foxface fish. He will eat the algae.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you say your nitrates and phosphates are low, what are the actual readings?

Reaction score
@Reefhead
NO3 - 1ppm
P04 - 0.09ppm
This is not the worst by any means but could still be lower and considering the amount of algae (which is also not the worst) your readings are probably higher but the algae is using them up so they wont read true on your test kits.
So I would say that your nitrates and phosphates are probably higher then you think and could be the cause of the algae.
Also 7 months is not a new system but also not IMO a mature system yet.
In most of the tanks I have setup I only really got true algae control when the tanks were over a year old and even then you will still get times when you have small algae blooms.
My suggestion would be to try and lower your nutrients, I have found great success with my Nitrates sitting between 0.2-0.5 and phosphates sitting between 0.02 - 0.04 and those readings are taken when there is very little algae in the tank, so they are more 'true' readings.
While you are getting your nutrients down, this should be a gradual process, I would try and manually remove as much as possible until you get it more under control.
I know a suggestion of a Foxface fish was made but this might not fit into your tank and also might not be what you want in the tank anyway, I would look at getting something like an emerald crab.
I have three emerald crabs in my tank and they are veracious algae eaters and they actually eat bryopsis which many other clean up crew don't eat

Top Bottom