New to the forum, and to fish

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Das, 2 May 2012.

1. Das

Das

Hi
    I just moved in to a new house in Kyalami, north of Johanessburg and it has a 800litre marine tank, so I've decided to try and keep the fish alive and get interested in his hobby. The nitrate levels are high - near as I can tell somewhere between 25 and 50 ppm, and I've already done two 200l water changes over the past three weeks. Anyway, I'm looking for some macro algae to add to the tank / refugium to get the nitrates under control. Can somebody in / around Jhb northern suburbs spare some or point me to where I could get some?

Thanks
    Das

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey Das - welcome. I am in Vorna Valley - work in Kyalami.

I dont have much caulerpa to spare...mine is just starting up. Am sure the guys will assist here...

Are you dosing with anything in particular? How old is the tank? Skimmer size, etc?

I am new to the world of marines...have learnt a bit - but much more to learn.

Good luck and hope to pay you a visit - maybe vice versa...

5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Welcome to MASA @Das, I can help you out with some Chaeto and a small bit of fern caulerpa in about a weeks time if you like? Just trimmed it on sunday... PM if you would like some? I'm in Houghton Estate.

6. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

ps, in return for the macro algae, how about some pic's of the tank and engine room? :whistling:

7. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

Hey Gman, thats an awesome trade!!!
    @Das, something about MASA, if you dont put up pics, it did not happen!!!

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I see the tank running with fish/corals in it already, if you need urgent help with anything, Idol Marine is closet to you in Midrand, speak to Luis, Adriaan or Rob, very helpful and more than willing to assist.

9. Das

Das Thread Starter

Thanks for the help folks. Still trying to find my way around the forum (I'm new to forums too). Have uploaded my systems info and some pictures to my profile - only place I could work out how to do it.

10. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Awesome tank set up, got potential there, what is the current lighting?

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. I suggest you read the link below on starting a marine tank, although you did not start it, it still contains valuable info on the nitrogen cycle, lights, etc

12. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey Das - good pics. DO you have problem with algae? Dosing with anything?

13. sergeon

sergeon

Welcome Das
    Its a creat hobby
    And if you have the pastion for it you will succeed:thumbup:

14. crispin

crispin

hey das and welcome to masa its great to have you join and even better to hear you are taking up the challenge of marine reef keeping. Great move, its a facinating hobby that is always changing and keeps one interested all the time:)

i posted one of your pics in here so others can see what your tank looks like, and i must say its looking great:) its not over stocked, has a good amount of live rock in it and some good machiones in the sump to keep it ticking over, so for a start your tanks looking good:)

for the imediate future if you are going to add a macro algae then rather get cheato, and not calpura as the cheato will not attach to live rock and will be easier to manage for you in the beginning. Take Gman up on his offer in a couple of weeks:) I cant tell if you have a light in the sump area or a spare chamber, but just to note that algae needs to be lit to grow (and we often set that on a referce photo period....big words to say put the lights on at night for macro algae and tank lights on in the day. You'll learn the reasons later on:)

i would sugest popping into Idol Marine (they are sponsors here and extremely knowlegable and helpful guys) and asking for a decent bacterial strain to dose with. I would go with microbelift special blend and follow isntructions on how to dose it as it seems to have the best overall consistant result of the different bacterial dosing products.

take pic of your sump and lets see if there is anythiong you need to pay attention to there:)

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  15. Das

Das Thread Starter

Sorry fo the delay. Lighting is one 30W LED floodlight and one 10W LED floodlight. It had 650W hp sodium vap floodlights, but I go the LEDs for under R1k so they'll pay themselves back within a year, and take up a lo less space.

16. Das

Das Thread Starter

Hi Clownfish. Yes algae is a little rife, but I'm not in a panic over it as the fish don't seem to mind. GMan is going to give me some Macro algae next time he trims his, and I've go the nitrates down to around 25ppm after about 600litres of water changes over the last 4 weeks. I'm a little nervous of dosing any chemicals until I now what I'm doing, or if I née o do something urgently. Besides, I'm a bit anal wih respect to trying to keep things as natural as I can.

17. Das

Das Thread Starter

Hi crispin. Thanks for the advice. I've been to see the folks at Idol marine - they've been very helpful.
    I've added my tank and sump photos below (I think) - not sure whose tank is in th photo in your message - is that yours? Looks real good.

18. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Nice set-up and very nice potential. Are you going to keep it as a fish-only set-up (for now at least)?

If so high nitrates is not too much of a concern. I'd still try eliminate the source though. Previous owner may have overfed the fishies. Also the rock work looks like it could trap a lot of detritus. Try get some flow in and around the rocks (those ones packed up against the sides) - open up the structure a little to get more flow in.

I can't really tell from the pics but there do not seem to be any flow pumps on the left hand side of the tank - if that is so I'd consider adding more pumps for internal tank flow.

Recent Posts