New to the Aquarium World

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jusman18, 16 Aug 2010.

1. Jusman18

Jusman18

Hey guys,

I am finally happy to announce that I am a newbie to the aquarium world. More specifically to the salt water world.

I have tried the fresh water tank hobby out before, when I was very young, and it ended in a disaster, purely because of lack of understanding and knowledge, not cycling the tank and just loading it with as many goldfish I could afford with my pocket money at the time. After burning my fingers from that, I have steered CLEAR of keeping fishtanks for many years. The bug has bitten again, I am older, eager and fortunately, have the Internet to do the many months of research I have been doing to finally be compfortable in this new attempt.

I have managed to find a second hand Boyu TL 550 tank for a really good price of R2500. The guy I am buying it from has upgraded to a red sea 250 and is keeping his fish, but has been kind enough to give me his water and live rock, which is covered in purple algae, which I heard is excellent. The migration begins this coming Saturday. I have found a nice place that sells water containers (Mr Plastic fourways) sells some nice buckets, like paint buckets, which I am going to use to move the live rock. They also have 25L containers with screw on lids, which I will use to transport as much of the water as possible.

I have arranged to buy the remaining water to fill the tank from the local pet shop. I think because I am basically losing 50% of the original water, I will leave the tank to cycle for a few weeks before I start adding the cleaning crew to the tank.

I spend a good hour or so talking to a very helpful guy at WILD ON PETS in greenstons yesterday, he gave me a good idea which fish I am allowed to have in my tank, which corals are easy for me to start off with and basically what I will need to maintain the tank. I really appreciated his input and he answered all the questions I have been dying to ask.

So.... what I PLAN on doing is setting up the rocks to look like a shelf of a reef... put some nice tube worms in the gaps, some nice soft corals... anemonie perhaps... maybe 2 clown fish, blue manderin... 2 cleaner shrimp and maybe a hermit or two... an Urchin and thats about it... is that too much, or can I possibly add more cleaning crew or corals... I am a little uncomfortbale about the amount of fish I can have, so only working on having 4 - 5 fish MAX.

Am I on the right track with regards to the migration of the tank, cycling and the additions I would like to make to the tank.

I look forward to learning a lot from this community and perhaps one day to contribute as well

:)

Justin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vatso

vatso

Welcome

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

welcome dude, sounds like ur on the right track, Anemones need alot of light usually, has ur tank got a metal halide? and i hear they are prone to chowing mandarins

6. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Shot man, Yip, I hope I am on the right track, been reading this site for hours every night and making notes. Thank you for the heads up on the Mandarin... I will keep this in mind.

I think the tank has the standard lights, not sure what they are, but will be replacing them with fresh lights as well. Will ask the LFS if they are good enough for anemonies.

Thanks again!

7. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

fairy nuff :) but always get a 2nd opinion here on masa:p

8. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Welcome

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

10. kRush

kRush

Wecome,
    Only tip i have is read, read read. These forums have loads of good advice.

11. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

12. crispin

crispin

hey justin, welcome to masa:)

congrats on getting that tank, you sound very excited as you should be:)

Are you getting the substrate as well with the tank, or just the LR? Do you know how much LR it is? maybe just weigh it and check when you take it out the tank for the move, and getting welll matured live rock is always good for your tank:)

there is lots you will need to learn and reserach but personally i would suggest hanging off the mandarin and the nennie just at the mo. Both are fairly advanced creatchures to keep for different reasons and there is lots you will need to elarn before getting them. besides there are lots of other pretty fish and inverts you can keep that will give you just as much enjoyment:)

good luck with the move, let us know how it goes :)

13. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey Crispin,

yeah, I am SUPER excited hey. Like a little child the night before christmas...and here I am, a 30 year old, reduced to that same little child again.

Ok cool, thank you so much for the advice. I am getting the rock as well as the gravel, super bonus for me I think.

I plan on running the tank with just cleaner shrimp and rock for a long while, until I get the hang of the maintenance and routine... maybe do more research etc. Will do the complicated little guys last.

Thanks again!

14. Dane

Dane

Welcome and congratulations!! :)

Make sure you move the live rock submerged in water - this will keep as much of the life with it as possible.

To echo some of the things crispy suggests...
    Definitely hold off on the mandarin and the anemone. They have fairly advanced requirements and need a very stable tank!Be aware that those tube worms are not photosynthetic - you may need to feed them with a filter food or shredded etc. Keeping a mandarin in a small tank like th TL550 takes even further work - they are extremely difficult to get eating prepared foods, and there will unlikely be enough microfauna in a TL550 to support them.

Otherwise the good old patience will serve you well! And nothing beats research, read up on every thing you want to do with the aquarium. Every inhabitant you want to add, every upgrade. Read up on the different filtration systems and methods, read up on the nitrogen cycle. The only substitute for experience is research, even if its not great!

Again, enjoy the ride. This hobby is addictive and enthralling!
    d

15. Dane

Dane

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you have here

16. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your input Dane, I really appreciate it.

Yip, the subtrfate looks like its crushed shells or something, very course. If I decide to keep the subtrate, if I stir it up during maintenance and water changes, would this help?

Is the finer subtrate expensive and does it need to be cycled? I really like the look of the finer subtrate, and if this would be better for the tank, then I would rather get that.

I am also thinking of getting a star fish, would it be happier with fine or coarse subtrate?
    I am planning on having a few member of the cleanup crew, rather fascinated more with the invertebrates than fish, which I can only really have 4 or 5 of...

Thank you for the heads up on the Manderin, I will definately put that on hold. I also heard the Nemmie could possible eat the Manderin, is this correct?

17. Dane

Dane

My pleasure. I am still relatively new to the hobby and I remember how usefull all the early advice was :)

Personally, I would ditch the substrate altogether. Shells are even worse than coral chips etc because they leach out phosphate and nutrients. Sugarfine aragonite is ridiculously expensive and not worth its "advantages" IMO. I personally love the look of real, fine beach sand (I collect from pockets sand dunes where the very fine particles collect). But many also use reggies playsand and are happy with it. It will need to be rinsed very very very (painfully!) thoroughly before you can use it tho!

If you have good live rock, it will populate your sand bed. Shouldnt be a big problem, although you will probably get a bit of a cycle no matter what you do (die off from transit etc).

Depends on what star fish you want to get. Personally I would steer clear of any of the larger starfish until you know exactly want you want to do with your tank etc. Most of the commercially sold starfish are not suitable for our tanks (predatory, require a diet we cant provide etc). I have cushion stars in my tank tho, and they are very happy :)

I also love my inverts btw. Awesome and interesting creatures!

As for the nennie, it depends what nennie you get. The only nennie I would ever recommend is a bubble tip anemone. These guys probably wont eat anything in your tank, unlike carpet nennies, which are infamous! Still, you have plenty of time (months) to read up about which nennie you are thinking of possibly getting sometime in the distant future ;-) hehehe, just kidding!

18. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

WOW, that aragonite is like R500 for 13kg's. How many Kg's would I need to a Boyu TL 550? Toys - R - US have 20kg's of "play sand" for R40... seems like the better option. I dont mind spending the cash if there is a serious long term benefit? if there is no difference, then I would obviously go for the "play sand". But I want what is best for my tank.

19. Dane

Dane

I agree, I don't think the benefit (very marginal) is worth it.

This article by the gurus on wetwebmedia might help you... (thaks sara for the link)

WWM Dig Cvr (seems to be down at the moment, try again later...)

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined. Have a read through the link in my signature on starting a marine tank, great info for beginners ;)
    I agree, ditch the shells and use fine substrate. If you don't want to fork out a lot of bucks, then use reggies play sand, just wash it very well until white :)

21. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Finally ready to give an update and upload some pics.

My tank has been running for almost 3 months now, and I have been adding a few things on a weekly basis.

Currenly, my tank consists of the following:

Inverts:
    • Peppermint Shrimp
    • Cleaner Shrimp
    • Red Fire Shrimp
    • Boxer Shrimp (might be moving to a new home... seems to dominte the tank a little too much)
    • Blue Legged Hermit Crab
    • Red Legged Hermit Crab
    • Turbo Snail
    • Astrid Snail
    • Red Indin Star Fish
    Fish:
    • Sand Goby
    • 2 x Bangai Cardinals
    • 1 x Blue Chromis
    Corals:
    • Pulsating Xenia (Thank you Rakabos)
    • Frog Spawn
    • Hammer
    • Small Zoa
    I have been doing regular water tests and all seems to be in check. I buy pre- mixed water from the LFS and do not dose anything addition wrt. Iodine, Clacium.
    I also check Calcium levels as well as Phosphates, and all seems fine. I use Purigen to assist with my water paramaters as well as carbon to polish the water.

Problems I have ben having thus far:

• Algae growth on the glass (Thinkng of getting additional snails to sort this out)
    • Aipstasia - Going to use Aiptasia X to sort this out
    • Heat (I bought two additional cooling fans that I have mounted ont he hood. Temperature now sits at a cool 24 - 25 Degrees Celcius, but evaporation is quite bit, I have been topping up daily and am considerign buying a chiller as well as ATO.. but need to SAVE up first.)
    • Some parts of the rock was going white, almost as if the pink Algae growth was dying, I tested calcium and phosphates, all seemed fine. I then read an artickle about feed forzen brine and mysis and that the actual ice cube could contain bad bacteria. I have begun thawing the cubes and straining them, rinsing them with RO water and then feeding, and it seems to be improving.
    Attached are some pics. Please could you guys comment and give some advice.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you so much.

Recent Posts