New to Reefing

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gizzymomo, 2 Sep 2012.

1. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo

I am completely new to marine tanks and just need some input.

I purchased this amazing tank second hand it included all the items in the pictures below.

All I know about maintenance so far is changing 15% of the water every 2 weeks, with the water cleaner ( ARO System I think it's called ) from the tap and mixing it with the salt.

Now I would like to have a reef tank ( corals etc ) not just the live rock and more fish etc. The tank has built in T5's.

Is this system any good? Any changes you would recommend?

Also what fish can I add without issues with what I currently have?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Sep 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

61 views and not one response..

4. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

5. ScottK

ScottK

Welcome to MASA. I would have said welcome earlier but it took half the day to open the images :lol:

6. ScottK

ScottK

The system looks like a good start but is missing one or two elements. I don't see any mechanical or biological filtration. Here are some suggestions:

1. Look at investing in a protein skimmer
    2. It looks like you have a lot of sand or settlement on your live rock, try and blow this off.
    3. You need some form of biological filtration. It looks like you have some bio balls in the baffle in your sump but that probably won't be enough. Do some reading on DSB's, Bio Cubes or NP pellets.
    4. That floss looks quite dirty and is going to end up being an issue if not replaced on a regular basis.
    5. Is that RO unit new? The DI Resin chamber on top looks a bit mucky from the pic. Do you have a TDS meter to test the quality of the water coming out?
    6. If you don't have any invest in some test kits for the basics. NO2/3, PO4, CA, KH, Mg are a good start. The red sea kits are great but expensive. The Salifert kits are also very good and probably the best value.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Hi.... Welcome to the forum.... You have come to the right place for assistance.....

Please, not meaning to offend, but that tank, and its inmates are destined to failure unless some action is taken. As I said, please dont be offended, we all had to start somewhere..... The mere fact that you have asked for help already has you hlf way to the finish line.

Agree with the advice given by ScottK, but with the first port of call being cleaning those rocks. Them being covered in sand is blocking their ability to function as a biological filter.

I would suggest you find a reefer in your immediate area, ask him for assistance in setting up the system and keep the fish in a quarantine tank whilst you sort out the rocks and sand issue.

You have a challenge ahead of you, but when you listen to sound advice, and take the trouble to do this correctly, you will be rewarded. What you put in is what you get out....

8. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa and teh wonderful world of marines. Regretably I can only see the first pic you posted, the others havent loaded for me, so take the advice the others have given.

its difficult to tell from the photo but it looks like there might be the beginnings of bryopsis algae growing on a few rocks. I would suggest taking the rocks out and pulling this algae out by the roots if possible as it can be a real headache later to controll if iut gets going.

to get the sand off the rocks i would suggest washing your hands and then putting them into to thank and gently shake each piece of LR so that the sand and settlement is gently removed without stiring up the fine sand you have as substrate. You can also use your powerhead and hold it in your hand and move it over the rocks to blow the stuff away, but be careful as that can stir up the bottom, kicking up a sand storm again if you misdirect the flow.

9. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

Thank you for the input - I was expecting criticism. So I am glad..

I have just blown off the sand off the live rock. Today I bought a whole bunch of floss and put new ones in the sections..

I do not have the money for a protein skimmer this month. Will the fish be fine without for a month?

I was looking at testing kits today but they rather pricey - apparently the important ones to get nitrate, ph and calcium?

Do I need to get them all or should take some of the water to the pet shop for testing?

The person I bought it from had it running like this for months.. Do you really think the fish will die still?

10. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

I would also like to say anyone in the Fourways area that would be keen to help and come and see I would really appreciate the help

11. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

Anyway I have gone ahead with suggestions.

I have just purchased Reeftek TS2 skimmer which seems to going well so far. On the verge of foaming in the first hour.

Got myself an Anemone and the clown fish are absolutely adoring it.

I assume all should be fine from now on?

12. Dillan

Dillan

Gizzymomo look at contacting @bryan from Jungle Aquatics he is in 4 ways and is a wealth of knowledge and a willing helper. I cant see any of your pics but one thing I have learnt here is no matter what you want to hear what you do hear and the advice given is usually spot on. I to am a nooby to this and did not like what was said when I asked for help lol but it was all correct. But get hold of @bryan and listen it’s the only way. I have been reading and not posting lol so much to learn and most of all ENJOY

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. ScottK

ScottK

An anemone in such a young tank may not be such a great idea. Do you know what type of anemone it is? What light are you currently running on the tank? You mention T5's, what size and how many do you have?

Anemones need well established tanks with very stable conditions to survive. You will need to keep a very close eye on it, if things start going wrong they will go wrong very quickly and the nennie will pretty much turn into soup fouling your entire system.

Did you purchase test kits as suggested? If so what are your water parameters like?

14. Salie

Salie

Welcome :)

That are some big pics, took me a min to load

15. Salie

Salie

Good looking scape. Interesting way you put substrate, is there any specific reason for that?

16. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.
    @Dillan - I will have a look at Jungle Aquatics this weekend for some more advice.
    @ScottK - If you read above I bought this tank second hand with its water and the entire system had been running for over a year prior to that.
    @Salie - I don't know these terms :( Anyway it was all randomly placed.

Have a look at my new pics below. I am aware there is quite a bit of algae growth which I will be taking off as soon as I can buy a algae scrapper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. ScottK

ScottK

Just trying to give some friendly advice. Even though the tank was a year old when you moved everything this can and most likely did cause the tank to cycle again.

With the lack of decent biological filtration (DSB, Bio Cubes, NP Pellets etc.) and the amount of algae growth you have I would say that your water parameters are less than ideal at the moment. Anemones require pristine and stable water conditions to survive.

I am by no means an expert on anemones but you look to have what is a Heteractis magnifica anemone (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=497+499) which is one of the most difficult kind to keep and is considered for experts only. What was this sold to you as? Did the pet shop that sold it to you know the size and specifications of your tank?

One requirement for this anemone is extremely good lighting and T5's will most likely not be sufficient. How many T5's do you have and what brand are they?

Did you buy the test kits as suggested?

18. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Can you give me a link where I can purchase these DSB, Bio Cubes etc? I have asked at pet shops if my system is fine now with the skimmer they say it is. However, any input is great - So if I can make it better I will do so.

Also about the green algea on the glass - http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/green-algae-on-glass-139989.html

is apparently a good thing?

19. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

I also I haven't cleaned my tank in 8 days - So apparently this is normal.

20. ScottK

ScottK

It's not the algae on the glass that is an issue, it's the green hair and stringy green algae (possibly bryopsis) on the rocks that are an indication of high nutrient levels.

A Deep Sand Bed can't really be bought, it is something that you need to setup in your sump. If you search for DSB here you will find plenty of useful information. The second chamber in your sump may be a little small for an effective DSB and a DSB will take may weeks to become completely effective.

Bio cubes will probably be the easiest and quickest to get up and running. Brian at Jungle Aquatics in Broadacres stocks bio cubes and has a wealth of knowledge to share. If you haven't bought test kits yet you can take water to Jungle Aquatics and have them test it for you to ensure you are on the right track.

What pet shop are you using currently?

21. Gizzymomo

Gizzymomo Thread Starter

Thank you for all the info.

I haven't had the water tested yet as those water testers are expensive. But I think taking my water to the pet shop will be a good idea.

I mainly use Sandton Aquatic Centre - I purchased the anemone from lifestyle after they said with the water skimmer and my lighting it should be fine.

I am not sure how many T5's as you cant see with the salt that has slowly stuck onto the glass of the light.

Recent Posts