New to Reef Tanks

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TanyaB, 24 Jun 2014.

1. TanyaB

TanyaB

Hi all,

I am VERY new to reef tanks.
    Only started on the 30th of May and already have 2 tanks - IM Nano 24 and a Nano 8. The Nano 24 has 2 clownfish (they do not look the same to me one is like Nemo and the other is more yellow), a cleaner shrimp, a snail and a hermit crab. The Nano 8 has 2 Clarkii clownfish and a royal dottyback. The last fish I had was 4 goldfih about a year ago and they died in the first week:(.

I would like to know how long should I leave the lights on, how many times a day should I feed the fish and how frequently must I do water changes?

Sorry for all the questions.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi @TanyaB
    Welcome to Masa.
    Great to see so much enthusiasm in our hobby.
    Please post some pics for all the picaholics :)

Did you start both systems from new? Did you finish your cycling?
    It is advisable to do a parameter check before adding any livestock.

I have a nanocube 24, with lights running from 10:00, to 20:00.

The clowns can handle feeding twice a day, although I have added an autofeeder, feeding pellets 5 times a day, and I feed flakes once a day.

Water changes are highly debatable. Some aquarists are against doing changes, but dose extra supplements, others vary from once a month, to once a week. The general rule of thumb is a 10% change when you do do a water change. I do 10L on a 110l system every 2 weeks (if I remember)

All the best with your systems.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome TanyaB

regards feeding, can feed them multiple times a day, but not a lot with each session. All wasted food will go to waste, putting more strain on your filtration system. Although Gesiggie got an autofeeder running 5 times a day, I know that it is set to its minimum opening. So not a lot of pellets do enter the system with each turn.

Water changes, "should" be once a week. On small system it is quicker to do, but yes, we are busy humans.

Are your lights running from timers? My lights run from 10 in the morning up to 10 at night.

5. TanyaB

TanyaB Thread Starter

Good morning,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The nano 24 was a new system and it ran for about 3weeks before we added the fish.
    The nano 8 has been running for 8weeks in the shop before we bought it water and all...:)

I do not have timers yet but I am studding form home so I am home 99% of the time and just put the LED's on around 2pm and switch of around 10pm.

I think I may be feeding to much at a time, I feed them 3 times a day Morning - Frozen Brine shrimp, Afternoon - Flakes, Night - Frozen Brine shrimp.

I think I will do the water changes once a week.

What is a parameter check? I do not have any testers (did not know I need any).

Sorry guys I really do not know anything about marine fish. But I LOVE it so far.

I hope the pics are up.

Nano 8.jpg

Nano 24.jpg

6. puffer fish

puffer fish

both those tanks still look very new ,i might be wrong but i think you will learn about algae and po4 next , dont over do your photo period it will encourage algae growth (do you have any coral ?) if not only switch the lights on when you home or for 6 hours a day till your tank matures , you will need the basic test kits no3 and po4 and start reading up on cuc's (clean up crews) like hermits,snails shrimps . dont feed more than your fish can eat in 3min and feed slowly so food dont sink to the bottom , Good luck ! its a awesome addiction , ask A lot of questions !!!!!

7. TanyaB

TanyaB Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks,

The tanks are very new not even a month old.....

We have a Zoas in each tank and some kind of coral in the 24.
    And we have a Hermit crab and a snail in the 24, but no clean up crew for the 8 what would you suggest? We want as much color as possible.

Also is it ok if I feed the brine shrimp twice a day?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

TOO MUCH
    You will run into phosphate issues and have a nice green lush carpet of algae. Unless you feed like a quarter of a half block. You do not have a lot of fish. Rather give once every second day. Also rinse it before, to get rid of the defrosted water.

9. TanyaB

TanyaB Thread Starter

Oops,:blush:

I will start giving less shrimp, one of the clownfish only eats the shrimp and does not even try the flakes, I guess he will get use to eating the flakes?

I only give a very small amount at a time (it takes me 2 days to use half a block).

Thank you for all the advice I really need it.

10. puffer fish

puffer fish

look for some red or blue leg hermits , some fire shrimps or cleaner shrimps and a couple of turbo snails

Recent Posts