New to reef keeping

Discussion in 'New Members' started by JohannA, 17 Sep 2013.

1. JohannA

JohannA

I have just started with a boyu 170L tropical reef tank and need all the help I can get.Reef has hard and soft coral and the following.2 regals,2 clowns,1 sand gobie,2 cardinals,2 cleaner shrimp,2 hermit crabs and 2 snails.

System has skimmer,filterfloss and life rock,uv,tempreture and waterpump.
    Light is a good quality.

Questions I need answers for.

What is the optimum tempreture?How often must I replace water and what amount?
    What is the best way to test the water and what instruments can be recommended as I would like to do it myself.
    Is the cape town aquarium water ok to use or is it beter to buy mixed salt water?
    What would you suggest is the best feeding? I currently feed mega1 marine flakes,spirulina flakes and reefsnow.

If I want to ad more fish what would be recommended.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi Johann and :welcometomasa2: to MASA

4. the fish

the fish

masahello

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the optimum reef temperature is 25~26 degrees Celsius, in the summer months you might need a chiller to maintain low temperature.
    you do water changes as often as your system requires, some reefers will tell you that they never do water changes some will tell you that they do it every week. in a large system with fewer fish you can do with less water changes where in a smaller tank which is well stocked you should try and do water changes as often as possible. about 25% of your total water volume including sump if you have one is recommended in general.
    for testing your water you can look at buying test kits. some are expensive others cheaper and some people will tell you that some work better than others. i use the RED SEA test kits they are slightly more expensive than others available on the local markets but they work for me and i find them easy to use. look at getting the essential elements test kits.. those are Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity also its a good idea to get Nitrates and Phosphates test kit so you can control the algae growing in your tank.
    i live very far away from the Cape so wont be able to give opinion on the Cape Town Aquarium water.. personally i mix my own with RED SEA salt.
    as for feeding try give your fish and inverts a variety of food.. one day flakes next day frosen food etc. also depending on your livestock and what they like to eat

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

post a picture of your setup :)

Recent Posts