New to Marines

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm completely new to marine aquaria. I have had a fresh water for a while, when the kids were still in the house. I have always wanted a marine qauarium and recently salvaged a tank from one of my clients (size 1200lx450wx450h) and then bought a new tank (1200lx450wx600h) and decided to use the old salvaged tank as a sump. Trevor Brooks from International Aquatics converted it into 4 equal compartments. I still have to build the stand and buy all the required things for setting this up. The big tank has a 50mm diameter hole in a small triangular compartment for the overflow.

What I need to find out is how deep the sandbed must be if all the compartments in the sump are the same size? What size pump I need and all the other things I need and need to know to get this going.

Hennie

Welcome !

DSB should not be anything less than 10cm's... Have you drilled your tank? Have you got a skimmer? Are you setting up a refugium?
Where in Randburg are you based? I'm near the Cresta shopping centre...

Welcome Hennie. X is right about the DSB depth

Good day.
Your deep sand bed must be between 15cm and 18cm.
Make sure your compartments are build in sutch a way that the water flows over the crused coral and do not fall onto the gravel in such a way to disturb it.
yor return pump can be anything from about 1900l per hour.
Regards Nico

hello hennie :)

great to hear that a long time dream is finally comming together :) and salvaging old tanks sounds like a great idea. Bath water (fresh water) and marines are somewhat different and there is a steep learning curve to start, but fire away with your questions and we will do all we can to help.

also a number of people try descrive what they have (a little like you did with the overflow) and it really is alot easier when we can see what you are talking about. SO get a camera, fire away with some pics and let us see whats happening to. Often we can see other things and comment on them at the same time.

there are some excelent sponsors on MASA and they have pretty much all the equipment and test things you could ever need, but again, ask MASA first so that you know exactly what you need to buy and dont spend money poorly.

finally welcome to MASA and happy posting :)

Welcome to MASA!!!! Enjoy the ride!Once you start, you`ll never look back!

O yes.Welcome to the family these are great people always willing to help and coment.
This is THE best and most rewarding hoby you can ever emagine but it is not a cheap one.

Welcome to MASA Hennie, hope you enjoy it here. Starting with marines hey? There are some great info for you in my signature ;)
Ask here before buying something at the petshop - might save you a couple of $$$. Our advice is free, so use it :)
Enjoy the new world you just entered and be patient. O ja, once you're hooked there's no turning back :1:

Welcome to MASA!!

Back
Top Bottom