New to Marines- Please listen!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, yes agreed, anemonies a NO NO in young tanks, but may i suggest a compromise.

Clowns (common) are more than happy to nest in hammer corals, no problems. And it looks nice too. Hammers are also easier, so i always suggest that to people.

My 2 cents

Parker

the clowns will be happy but i doubt that the hammer coral will like this kinda thing,i would rather not do this.:whistling:

Hi All

I am BALA and just a nother fish in your Aquarium, who wants to know more about Marine fish tank set-ups :wave2:

I think that one HUGE problem (in addition to the animated movie), is the "fresh water" mentality.
Starting a fresh water tank - what do people do?
Buy a tank, live stock and EVERYTHING else on the same day. They go home, fill the tank with fresh tap water, drop in a few drops of "water conditioner", and let their "fishies" drift in the bags, for 10 minutes.
10 minutes past, and there you go - fish tank completely set up...

Now - people try and do this with marine tanks........

Couldn't agree more with this comment, nothing happens quickly in marine tanks..... only disasters! :nono:

Take your time with everything when it comes to marine tanks, research is always the key to success.

Problem is that peple only start researching and only get to MASA after disaster struck and they keep on having hugh problems.
Proof: Just check how many people joining MASA story start basically the same.

Hi, my name is ###, I got a tank for X months, bought from LFS... Filled the tank with tap water... with all stock added 2 weeks later ... Got bio-balls and ceramic rings... Struggle with green hairy things growing on my rocks...got big crushed coral as substrate... added an anemone ...

Now how do we solve this?

Another problem is when experienced reefers, start new systems and also immediately put nennies in their new systems. Beginners read their threads on their setups, and see how quickly they added a nennie, this sends out the wrong message "if they can, why cant i?" They dont know the details of the reefers other setups etc. In these cases experienced reefers should highlight in their threads, that what they are doing its not for beginners.

Problem is that peple only start researching and only get to MASA after disaster struck and they keep on having hugh problems.
Proof: Just check how many people joining MASA story start basically the same.

Hi, my name is ###, I got a tank for X months, bought from LFS... Filled the tank with tap water... with all stock added 2 weeks later ... Got bio-balls and ceramic rings... Struggle with green hairy things growing on my rocks...got big crushed coral as substrate... added an anemone ...

Now how do we solve this?

Well a good start is right here on the forum, and well done for the original posting Sean, my next question is, is there magazines in SA for Marine keepers?? Articles should be published in them about the basics.

LFS always want to make a sale when it comes to livestock, they should be asking questions before they just make a sale. IE. how old is your tank? What do you have in there? etc etc.

Well said, sean_koekemoer. Just reading about your ongoing "hero job" makes me hot under the collar as well... I mean, I'm a beginner in this hobby (6 months or so) and I've learnt a lot from MASA.

Also, well done to you for being the saviour those creatures need. They can't talk or run, so you being there for them... ... Well done!!! Your heart is in the right place!

cool, great idea Frans
WOW,has this been interesting reading or what!

Bullett here,

The more and more time I spend on this site,the better I feel. I have been successful with fresh water tanks and luckily I have not rushed into my first marine tank.I am busy setting up my first marine tank,fortunately being guided step by step (slowly).

I desperately want to post some pictures of my progress but am not having any joy.

All my pictures are on Picasa 3! Help me here please.

Regards
Bullett

Hi Bullett - what you do is the following:
1) upload your pics to your Picasa Web-album
2) open the Picasa Web-album, and then click on one of the pics you want to have displayed on MASA
3) once the pic is maximized on your Picasa web-album, then right-click on the pic - and then select "copy link URL" or "copy picture URL"
4) then go to MASA - to the thread/post where you want to paste your pic - click on the yellow icon with the little mountains on it, in the menu bar of your "Quick reply" area
5) you will be presented with a popup window, where you can paste the URL of the picture - just remove the "http://" first...
6) then paste the URL link
7) lastly - remove all the extra characters after the filename, which should be ending in JPG (this would be the utmost right characters in the URL string - you will have to go as much to the right, as you can - then start removing/deleting the random characters, until you have a "<filename>.jpg" after the URL left.

This should work.

Try it and then let me/us know.

Hi Jacques,

I haven't tried to post any pictures as yet,but will do once I get a little further with my tank.

Hope you are feeling better.Would it be convenient for me to pop in and see your tank today? If not,not a problem.

Cheers
Bullett

Ok,great

Let me have a number I can contact you on.

My youngest daughters 5th Birthday Party on Saturday afternoon. Lets set uop a time for the morning,ok?

Hi, i have suffered greatly at the hands of my LFS, if i could i would burn the place down. 1 carpet nemmie and 7 clowns have lost their lives due to completely wrong advice. At some point i asked if i could use normal tapwater, the shop owner replied 'as long as you are adding the supplements(iodine, strontium ect) it should be fine'. what i ended up with was death and a tank that looked like a potted plant from all the algae. Please do not be embarassed to admit to being a newbie, its the smartest thing you could do, one can never learn too much.

Hi, i have suffered greatly at the hands of my LFS, if i could i would burn the place down. 1 carpet nemmie and 7 clowns have lost their lives due to completely wrong advice. At some point i asked if i could use normal tapwater, the shop owner replied 'as long as you are adding the supplements(iodine, strontium ect) it should be fine'. what i ended up with was death and a tank that looked like a potted plant from all the algae. Please do not be embarassed to admit to being a newbie, its the smartest thing you could do, one can never learn too much.

This sort of tuff makes me "moer kwaad"!!!!! i cant believe they still do it!!!!

There should be some sort of place where one can report them...SAPTA i think wont do anything...or will they?

please tell us more about your setup....please open a new thread

I am in no way defending the LFS but what is the requirement to start a pet shop & keep fish? Making money & or the lack of information is why these things happen!

Lucky we have the internet think how little we knew 10 years ago!!!

Mark

This is my 2 cents, me and Goby had this idee for a marine setup for the last two years, he's done a lot of research since then and only in the last seven months we agreed to start.We bought a complete system with all the goodies that you have to have to start a decent and reliable setup, no short cuts my friend. Then one day the tank burst, we already had our plans in place should a thing like this happen, we could save all our live stock in a rescue tank and with all the advise we received from the Masa members we pulled this thing thru.
Research and to ask questions all the time to fellow members who are long time in this game is a must,nobody will ignore you, we always had positive feedback.
With the lighting issue the following, i've spoken to a few guys to give me the best advise because this is big bucks as we all know and mostly for the sake of the livestock that i will be putting in, MOST of them just talk alot of nonsense, IMO i think i know a little bit more even if i'm a newby and the quotes i got is out of range, money money money. Then my last and best option was one guy, we spoke and he asked me alot of questions,tank size,depht,what type of livestock ect ect.
Quoted half the price, same brand and even exta lights,now this guy is truely on the ball, i will do alot of bussiness in the near future.
Thanks LANZO :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi there, to anyone who might be able to help me: Like I said in my introduction, I’m a newbie to marine life, I do however have a very brackish aquarium with a few puffer, mono angels and archers in it. The hydrometer reading is about 1.025, will a clown fish be able to survive in that?

Back
Top Bottom