New to marine tank world

Discussion in 'New Members' started by gambit, 7 Oct 2012.

1. gambit

gambit

Hi everyone.

My name is Moegamat. I am a new marine tank owner living in Cape Town. My tank is 350mm W, 800mm L, 900mm H. I hve just buiilt the tank finish today with 10mm glass. Hoping to full it up on Wednesday to test for leaks. Finger crossed.

I have no idea on what filtration system to use and how to go about setting up for marine life.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Gambit

Salie likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NADEEM

NADEEM

Salaam Gamat, welcome to forum. Lots of great people here that will give some great advice. All the best, see you soon.

4. roderigo

roderigo

welcometomasamasahello

5. Salie

Salie

masahello

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very warm welcome to MASA Gambit! Great to have you on-board! Please post some pics of your new tank?

The most common, and "proven" filtration systems are "sumps", together with a skimmer, and possibly a deep sand bed. You can also look at using chemical filtration media....

Thanks!

7. Dillan

Dillan

8. labworx

labworx

:welcometomasa1::welcomewave:

Last edited: 8 Oct 2012
  9. NADEEM

NADEEM

@gambit , post a picture of your tank.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

What marines do you intend to keep, as proper advice will stem from here?

A tank with fish only?, If so, what type of fish?
    A tank with fish andf corals? If so what type of corals? Soft, or Hard skeletoned corals? If hard skeletoned, what type of hard skeleton, the ones which looks ike sticks or the ones with large fleshy colourful polyps?
    Is your tank drilled with an overflow whereby water is directed to a sump which will house filtration equipment?

11. gambit

gambit Thread Starter

Hi Jacquesb

Thanx for the welcum. I uploaded some pics of my new built tank. have a look and please advise on filtration and set up .

thanx Gambit

12. gambit

gambit Thread Starter

Hi Nadeem

I posted somr pics

Tell me wat you think

Gambit

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. viper357

Welcome, interesting tank, it may be a bit of a challenge but can be done. What is the white box? between the tank and the wall, is there anything in there?

15. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

Has the tank been drilled for a sump? interesting size looks as if you going to go fish only by the looks of things. Some tonga LR will look awesome in there;)

16. Ayoob

Ayoob

Any help or assistance send me a pm

Salie likes this.
  17. NADEEM

NADEEM

@viper357 , the white box is a cupboard, it has a plug point in there, it was built to keep the fish tank stuff in.
    this tank is SUPER SMART, really, Spoke to gambit and he intends keeping fish and coral, NO SPS though, just softies/leathers and some lps like frogspawn/torch/hammer.

what lighting would you guys reccomend, a canopy is also being built for the tank, so all lighting can be hidden.

when the tank was designed and the wall built, a sump was not in the plan as Gambit was not sure whether he would go marine or fresh water, but if you look at the last pic on the left of the tank, the red couch with white back rest cushion. those red seats lift up, so a sump can be put under there, what you guys think of that??? THE TANK IS NOT DRILLED THOUGH.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. viper357

Well, if he wants to incorporate a sump, now would be the time to get the tank drilled, while it's still empty. Although putting the sump underneath those seats will result in condensation issues and it would become very mouldy under there and if there's wooden furniture it could possibly start to rot, unless the sump is completely sealed, but that's going to be extremely difficult to do with all the pumps and wires and pipes.

There's nothing wrong with a tank without a sump, just think of it as an oversized nano. ;)

I would put a 10-12cm deep substrate in there, this will serve two purposes, one is the obvious, you get a DSB without the need for a sump, plus it will lift the rockwork up a bit, seeing as it's a very high tank (900mm). Lighting wise, due to the height, T5's will not suffice I don't think, you'll barely manage to squeeze in 2 or 3 39w T5's, 150w MH's may work, but they'll have to be housed in the hood otherwise you'll get a lot of light spread outside the tank. I think you may have to look into some narrow beam LED's in order to get some penetration to the lower area's of the tank. Perhaps approach the sponsors, give them your tank dimensions and get them to recommend some lighting options for you.

Filtration wise, good quality live rock and a good quality sand for the DSB should just about do it, ensure enough space around the rockwork for good waterflow. Perhaps consider something to agitate/filter the surface of the water otherwise you're going to get an oily film build up on the surface of the water and this will cause problems due to insufficient gaseous exchange and also will inhibit light penetration.

19. viper357

And of course, there's all these new fangled pellets and cubes to help with filtration these days, but I've never used any of them so can't advise on their use.

20. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Awesum looking tank

welcometomasa

Will be folowing with great interest

21. gambit

gambit Thread Starter

OK thanks evry one for all the great advices and tips. nadeem and mogseraajregal is helping such alot. shukran guys. we gna fill tank up on saturday. im gna start looking around this week for hang on skimmer, flow pump and lights. got no idea wer to go but ill look around and find out. any help on these items will be appreciated.

jippy .... cant wait for saturday.

Recent Posts