New to Marine, New Tank. Intro and Advice needed

Discussion in 'New Members' started by zippy320, 6 Feb 2011.

1. zippy320

zippy320

Hi Guys

Just an Intro from me.
    Im Really new to Marine Tanks, I do have experience in Freshwater, I currently have 5 tanks of which 1 is now the Marine , the others are Freshwater of which one is a Discus tank.

Well I picked up my tank from a seller yesterday, Purchased if from him complete (i think)
    His mom said that he had run it for 4 years .

Took everything from him including the water.

Its a marine tank , Juwel Rio 300, 350ltr
    With a Tetratec 1200 external cannister filter
    2 Powerheads
    And all the Standard Juwel Equipment for this tank.
    4 X T5 lighting 2 blue and 2 white
    In it i have 6 fish,
    1 Yellow Tang
    2 Orange clownfish
    2 Yellow clownfish
    1 Dark blue Angelfish
    Live rock with one or two soft corals stuck to it.

Iv set everything up and all seems good, When Transporting the tank home , we did not strip the tank clean, Kept the filters intact,the sand (i think its sand? looks like coral bits) in the tank.
    removed water (used same water)
    Removed live rock .

I really am new to Marine Tanks so some of my questions may seem trivial.

Since filling the tank and having it settle, then introducing the fish,
    1 : Tiny Star dish like things? Colour looks white, thay look like starfish , what are they? Theres about 20 this far on the glass,Crawling to the top.
    2 : Centipede like White wormy looking creatures on the back of the juwel filter and some on the live rock.
    3) a black slug like thing on the live rock that when touched contracts.
    4) Some tiny snails.

Ill post up a few pictures later today (fish are sleeping?)

Any idea off hand what thay could be?
    Im going to try and take things really slow with this tank. Its gonna be one long learning experience for me.Its not colourfull but the fish are :)

Also before i forget, I havnt positions the exit pupe of the Cannister filter as yet and its creating really small tiny bubbles in the tank, Will this be fine for the fish?

Thanks Guys, I will really appreciate all the help!
    Zahir

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

4. maxisoft

maxisoft

masahello

Youre in good hands here.....

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to masa how about a pic of your setup?

6. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

howzit welcome to the community

if you post pics it will help the guys help you.

I would try and get a sump going to increase water volume and to get a DSB going.

I wish i had made a bigger sump when i started(not too long ago really) just to increase water volume and have a bigger DSB.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome Boet!
    1st, I hope you kept the rock in the water otherwise the life on it and the bacteria will die
    2nd, with marines you have to basically forget everything you know about fresh water tanks
    3rd we need lots of pics so we can advise you
    Lastly, from what you said so far, it seems that you will have to do some work on the tank. I would strongly recommend adding a sump because you still need to get a protein skimmer and you will have to dump the cannister. Ask lots of questions and read alot. You are in the best possible hands here on MASA. There are many experienced reefers in DBN who will be able to help you with the build and be a hotel for you livestock during the build :) ..

8. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

Welcome to MASA!;) there is lots to learn here....take some time to brows through some of the threads on how to start a marine tank.and just read ,read and read:)

9. Dizi

Dizi

Welcome!

and I foresee that four freshwater tanks being converted to marines very soon! ;)

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. Some reading for you in the link below on starting a marine tank - you definitely need the info seeing that you're new to marines ;)

11. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa and congrats on getting your first REAL fish tank :) you will find marines a sharp learnng curve but very rewarding if you take it slow and follow what guys advise. Later on when u understand the basics of the husbandry will you be able to realy understand the joys and complexities of marine tanks :)

sounds like a lovely setup, but there might be a few things you can change in the beginning to help make your life and the life of the inhabitants in the tank better. try get us a pic or to and lets see if we can help a bit:)

12. zippy320

zippy320 Thread Starter

thanks!!

hi Guys! Sorry for the late reply, its been a really busy weekend!
    Been cleaning , resetting, wiping down the tank. Cleaning salt deposits off the glass, bulbs, plastics etc. Its been a loong day indeed!

Ill try my best to give as much information as possible,and post up as many pictures as i can. :)

All rocks were kept in the water,some a little above the water but only for an hour or two.

Whats a DSB?

I have uploaded a few pictures of my tank ,Ill post a picture of my Freshwater tanks later as well.
    here they are.

Filtration is by the External canister filter (1200ltr) and the Juwel Internal filter (1000ltr). I was told that the rocks filter as well? but im not sure how thats done.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

NOw for the really Freaky/scarry stuff! as said, i come from a freshwater tank background, and in my tanks, i rarly find anything in there that i havnt put in. In my Freshwater tanks there are no weired creatures, movements etc

Well Thought id have a look at the Marine tank (as i do with all my tanks each night) with a torch when the lights are out , I do this while the fish are (asleep) so as to monitor the tank, and here i find some really scary stuff in there!

Im really afraid of these things harming the fish.
    Firstly . I find this Huge (to me) worm of some sort , it looks like an earthworm but only fatter and stranger.i couldnt see its head but i did see its tail as it crawled from out under the sand towards the back of a liverock.

[​IMG] Here is a picture of the creatures, Is this bad? Where could it have come from? What is it?
    Iv never seen anything like it before and it seems to have come out at night.

Iv also found this in the tank, there seems to be alot of them around , on rocks , some on the Juwel filter case, inside the filter as well as in between rocks. Iv seem White ones and brown ones. Thay look like centipedes

[​IMG]This one is brown.Larger ones seem to be around 5 to 6cm in length, Slow moving.But not that slow.

Also found this on one of the liverocks,

[​IMG]Looks like some sort of soft coral? any idea what it could be? I did find a few other smaller ones coming out of what i thaught was dead coral rocks.when the lights come on but havnt had to chance to take a picture of them.

Thanks again for the awesome response!

As per the tank, I may try and get myself a hang on the back skimmer as i dont have place for a sump. I know a sump is ideal but at the moment i cant have one.
    I also went around looking for a chiller , These things are shockingly expansive! IV seen them for around R6000! almost the price of a real fridge! So thats out for now,
    Though i have monitored the tank, and the temp seems to stay around the 24 to 27 mark. I have no real coral in the tank. only the fish and live rock.

Really appreciate the warm welcome!!! You guys are awesome! I really do appreciate all the help!

Thanks again for the awesome response!

Regards

13. zippy320

zippy320 Thread Starter

Feeding the fish

forgot to ask, how often should i feed the fish?
    I feed my Discus,goldfish,angels etc once , sometimes twice a day .

And i feed them all the discus Granules, Havnt had a problem and thay are all healthy, showing good color.

Also do thay require any special diet? I was told that i can feed them the same food as the discus and thay seem to go wild over it.
    I was told the yellow tang needs seaweed .
    Also How much should be fed?

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)
    Marine fish eat marine foods, not discus foods. ;) Typical marine flakes consist of Salmon, plankton, squid, tuna eggs, clams, kelp, brine shrimp and a host of other marine organisms. Feed them 2 or 3 times a day, you can get many different varieties of marine foods such as flakes, pellets, frozen blocks of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp etc. The seaweed you need is called Nori and you can get it from Pick n Pay or Woolworths etc. It is sold in sheets in plastic packets.

Recent Posts