New to marine building a budget tank advice welcome

Reaction score
Hi all I am new this form and to marine tanks. I have had many tropical freshwater tanks in my life but have always wanted to set up a marine tank. I know marine is a whole different game then freshwater and have done a lot of research into it.

My end goal is to have a tank with a few fish and soft corals in it. To make it more difficult for myself I am trying to do the setup an a very tight budget.

I have been lucky in that someone I know donated me his old setup that has been sitting empty for a few years and I have just finished cleaning it all.

20200707_165945.jpg

20200707_165957.jpg

20200707_170036.jpg

I did the calculations and it is a 110L tank. All the equipment (skimmer, return pump, heater, wave maker, filter media and lights) work so that is a good start.

If anyone can see any issues or has suggestions for the setup please let me know.

I have noticed that the light on the tank is not very powerful only 2x8w tubes I don't know if this will be enough for this tank with soft corals. Input on this would be appreciated. I would like to change it out for an LED one once I can afford one.

The problem is I still have a lot of things I need to get the tank up an running and a very small budget. The list I currently have is test kit, sand, live rock, salt, hydrometer or a refractometer and maybe a led light, if any one has good cheap suggestions for these or has any of these that they would donate or sell for cheap I would be really grateful.

Then for cycling the tank what are the suggestions around doing it the normal way or using starter bacteria?

Look forward to the replys and feed back.

Kind regards

Duncan

Durban based.

Hi and welcome!

That setup looks pretty good and has lots of potential. The skimmer u have is great just that it’s rated for an approx 113l tank so don’t overstock with livestock and keep up water changes.

Use dead rock when u start up as it is a cheaper option and works pretty well.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. Any suggestions around what max number for fish and corals would be for this kind of setup.?

You actually have quite a good start. Is that light setup T5? If so, you are probably okay for keeping softies. Just ensure you buy the correct globes.
Hi thanks for the reply, Yes it has 2x8w T5 bulbs one white and one blue in IT. They need to be replaced as they are very old.

Last edited:
Hi. For fish, I would say be rather have fewer and choose specific nano fish. From my perspective I would add two percula clowns, a firefish goby and come clean up crew but there are other options which you can search online. Then focus on corals. This way you will keep the bioload down and maintenance will not be a nighmare.

I have a nano which is 21l and I have 1 fish in there. wanting to add a clown goby (which is a smallfish) once I can find one again. Maintenance is easy

Hi. For fish, I would say be rather have fewer and choose specific nano fish. From my perspective I would add two percula clowns, a firefish goby and come clean up crew but there are other options which you can search online. Then focus on corals. This way you will keep the bioload down and maintenance will not be a nighmare.

I have a nano which is 21l and I have 1 fish in there. wanting to add a clown goby (which is a smallfish) once I can find one again. Maintenance is easy

Hi thanks for the response I like those choices a lot. Thanks for the information will do a bit of research into fish for a nano setup and then finalise my list.

What are peoples views on cycling with bacteria to speed up the process vs doing it the normal way?

Also need some advice on the the return to the tank from the pump the old one in the tank was just a bit of plastic pipe siliconed into place I have removed it wss the silicone was coming off. So there is just the hole there now. Want to see where I can get the parts to make the return pipe nice and so that I can add a loc line and flow Nozzle to it. want to know where I can the parts to mak

It all depends on you wich way you want to cycle. Bacteria in a bottle is just a instant way to add bacteria to a tank. But theres nothing wrong if you still choose to go the old fashioned way using a prawn. They both work

Hi all just looking at getting the last few things planned for my tank does the below list look good any suggestions are welcome.

Fish FoodR133,00
Seachem Prime Water ConditionerR107,00
Magnet cleaner R185,00
Red Sea 10kg Live Reef Base WhiteR784,00
Red Sea 7kg SaltR440,00
Red Sea Reef Mature Pro KitR532,00
Red Sea Marine Care Kit (pH, Alk, NH4, NO2 and NO3)R1 050,00
Digital Thermometer Stick On GlassR25,00
Live rock 6kg R600,00
2 x 8 watt bulbs R100,00
Cleanup crew (Snails, hermit crab, Shrimp, starfish) and seaweed (Collect from the beach)R0,00
Fish and otherR800,00
Micro Algie (get from someone)R0,00

Back
Top Bottom