New to Marine Aquariums and Cape Town

Discussion in 'New Members' started by lloyd18, 26 Jan 2010.

1. lloyd18

lloyd18

Hi All,

I am new to the Cape Town area, as well as being new to Marine Aquariums, I have kept Cichlids for a number of years with great success but now find myself wanting to go over to Marine, I honestly have now clue where to start.
    I would need to purchase a complete new setup, so any help from there would be fantastic.

Cheers for now
    Lloyd

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome you have most definatley come to the right place, give us some more info on your proposed build and im sure we will be able to guide you..

enjoy the site

4. lloyd18

lloyd18 Thread Starter

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the welcome, to be honest with you I honestly have no idea, size wise I was looking at probably around 5 - 6 ft as I know when it comes to tropical the bigger the better, not sure if same applies here?

5. leslie hempel

well bigger is generally better from a stability point of view but from a running cost the bigger the more expensive..

i personally would like to go no bigger than 1.5 but perhaps go 1.2m wide or something..

think of what you want to keep in terms of fish and coral and where possible search through the various sites untill you see something you loke and use that as a basic guide of what you want to achieve..

another aproach is to find a place that the tank will stand and let the area available dictate the size to an extent.

6. leslie hempel

well bigger is generally better from a stability point of view but from a running cost the bigger the more expensive..

i personally would like to go no bigger than 1.5 but perhaps go 1.2m wide or something..

think of what you want to keep in terms of fish and coral and where possible search through the various sites untill you see something you loke and use that as a basic guide of what you want to achieve..

another aproach is to find a place that the tank will stand and let the area available dictate the size to an extent.

7. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome aboard lloyd. I agree with Les bigger is better in terms of stability but running costs can become problematic. Smaller tanks are cheaper to run but require more maintenance ....bit of a catch 22.

IMHO it is going to boil down to what you EVENTUALLY want to keep. I personally like a tank at least 1500 long x 600 w (minimum), hight is debatable as the deeper the more hectic your lighting requirements

Recent Posts