New to marine and masa

Discussion in 'New Members' started by AndrévN, 24 Jul 2008.

1. AndrévN

AndrévN

Hi all, im new to this ive already set up a tank 2 weeks ago and yesterday added the live rock. All is looking good. I am sure that all the old experts here will be able to give me some good sound advice as i go along.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

welcome to MASA Max, sounds good, tell us about the system and we will help you all we can.

4. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

WELCOME TO MASA

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

:welcometomasa2: max.

We also need pic's

First piece of advice take it slow and be patient. That one if for free the next is going to cost pic's ;)

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

welcometomasa

As Thalion said, take it slow and you will save shit loads of money.

Also check LFS advice on the forum before buying, you may be surprised what goes on out there.

7. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Thanks you guys
    I baught it the flea marked and they came and installed and set it up for me:
    1,5m x .650 x .650
    Enclosed in darkwood cabinet with proper built steel frame
    Sump 1m x .300 x .300 ? this is what worries me - in the first compartment he installed the phosphate reactor with white filter material the water overflow into the second chamber and the reactor discharges the water there through filter material and this run from the bottom into the third chamber with filter material at the bottom and round long rings with holes in them, this overflows into the fourth chamber where he installed the skimmer but the overflow does not run only through the skimmer but also over to the fifth chamber full of broken up live rock about 30 to 50cm pieces of live rock or looks like it through the bottom into the last chamber which houses the return pump from there to a uv light, from there to the hailea 1000 chiller - heater unit into the tank. Now what i have read was a little confusing to me as it is quite the opposite to what i have read or understand from the big boys or experts on this forum, can someone shed some light on this for me or should i have a new sump built and redo the whole thing.
    next 3 x seio m1100 for circulating
    50kg of live rock in the tank
    2 sets of flourescents the bright light type
    3 x white
    1 x blue
    2 x 300 watt jager heaters
    Im looking at adding a electronic PH tester, Refractometer as this other thing floating is absolutely :( crap. I will also be looking at adding some nice electronic temp controllers with proper probes and dimmable electronic ballasts for the flourescents so that i can dimm the flourescents when necessary as i am a electrician after all and can get all electrical stuff for way cheaper than the man on the street, and i can build these systems and wire them too, aint i lucky. So if you guys need MH globes, transformers, nice temp controllers etc. speak to me maybe i can save you guys some moola.
    The system has been up for 2 weeks now and all the tests is looking good, nothing out the ordinary, ammonia was 0 gone up to 0,1 mg/l 1 day after i added the live rock but it is stable. All the other tests has been in par and safe.
    All the other nice to have stuff ill check out first and get some info from you guys before i get it, if it is necessary.
    Now its wait.........wait...........:whistling: and patience to get the eco system to work properly, and hopefully in a month or two i can start adding the beauties and all.
    I want to do fish and coral so ill have to get some sound advise what too and what not tooooo.

8. IMarine

IMarine

Welcome Bra

9. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

The pics will follow soon ill download some and paste them.:)

10. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Thanks IMarine

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Max.

Your sump does seem to be setup "old school", but show us a pic of it and we can help you from there, but for now, your skimmer needs to be in the first compartment where the water enters from your tank, the phosphate reactor should be in the last compartment.

What skimmer do you have?

What substrate do you have on the bottom of the tank?

When you buy your fluorescent lights, make sure you get T5 lights and not T8.

Your tank will need to cycle for probably another 4 weeks or so before you can start adding fish and corals.

12. christiaan

christiaan

welcometomasa

Remember that we go nuts for pics guy
    What are you planning for Livestock
    Do you have a livestock wishlist as this would determine your setup

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA :)
    Looking forward to the pics.

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM welcome to MASA Max. Everyone has said it already. Have a look through the threads. You will see some threads mentioning "sump design". And also have a look at the pictures of the other members. You will get some idea of what it takes.

Biggest thing - PATIENCE.... it has been said already. BUT, you better have patience, otherwise this hobby might bite you.

Not trying to sound negative - but it is important that you get your mind-set right.

Good luck with your journey. Remember - it's your own personal journey, and your little "art-work" you are creating. We can assist and give advice. In the end it is still yours. If you make mistakes - it's yours to make.
    If you end up being a successful reefer - then al kudo's to you!

We like sharing our experiences and knowledge (or lack thereof) with others. So, please feel free to comment, ask questions, tell us stories, etc.
    We are like your online reefkeeping "family" ;-)
    Enjoy mate!

15. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Thanks viper357
    Firstly i will change the skimmer and reactor around.
    Skimmer is a reef octopus ts2.
    Crushed coral as substrate.
    All flourescents is t5's.
    and yes i will gladly wait as this has cost me a couple of arms and is not to be waisted at all, as long as at the end i get a proper setup and all those beauties live happy in there. I have lots of patience.
    christiaan
    I am still planning this, but it will not include stuff that is not good for coral as im planning to have a couple of those in future.
    And yes when i get a chance ill paste some pics, but for now i have to go, chat later

16. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Thanks jacquesb im glad to have joined here.
    I will definitely ask questions as they come along, its better to get a couple of ideas and build from there, as you say patience is the key to this, mistakes will be made but thats why you get info from you guys thats been walking this road to narrow down the mistakes to be made, if one does not listen it is your own will then
    chat later

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice skimmer :thumbup:

How fine is the crushed coral? Is it about the size of sugar grains?

18. Christo

Christo

Hi! Max! Welcome!

Well I just read your thread and if you can get us some pH probes and
    controlers for a good price I might take you up on your offer!

19. crispin

crispin

hey max, welcome to masa and to a fantastic hobby.

sounds like you are on the way nicely there fella, a few things to change but sounds like you have a sound basis to start from. I like the fact you got help from the beginning with someone to put it together for ya, now with some tweaking and advice you can get it all right.

a small word of advice from my experience. The cycle process can be a little boring, resulting in guys cutting is short and hurting LS. What i did was spend alot of time on here, and a few international forums and learnt about what i was intending to do. That way i didnt get bored and i left my tank cycling for a while before putting things in.

enjoy the journey, its great fun

20. AndrévN

AndrévN Thread Starter

Viper
    I hope the skimmer was worth it.
    The coral is about 3mm in diameter.
    Christo
    Ill have them send over some prices and ill let you know
    crispin
    believe me buddy im in no haste to waste, this cost me a heap of money and im not gonna try and push it. The wife will kill me, i went out to buy a tank, we saw one and i changed the order 3 times over the phone after we had left - what do you guys say, give a guy a tank and he will want a bigger one. Believe me this was supposed to be a little corner tank unit and i ended up spending roughly 40k she'll kill :yeahdude: me if she knows.:whistling:

21. seank

seank

Welcome to MASA, hope your tank brings you a lot of Joy, just remember to hide all your till slips from now on...

Recent Posts