New to all this

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Dune13, 23 Mar 2010.

1. Dune13

Dune13

Hi there

I am still uncertain how I got into all this, but I ended up with a 1000 litre tank. Got all the basic equipment I hope to believe. Been told how to connect it all together and the basic function of each.
    Furthermore ... I selected a beautiful location to put the tank and spend the past three week-ends preparing.
    Now i am at the point to do the sump filter and the water ect .... And now I am uncertain how to go about everything.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

:welcometomasa2:

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi and welcome dune, why dont you list all the equipmnet you already have, will help people to give you accurate advice

5. neo

neo

Welcome,
    just read, read, READ.........and more reading.
    More than enough info on MASA to get you sorted.
    There's also the option of going to some of the other MASAnians in the PTA / CENTURION area and chat to them.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Dune13, glad you decided to join before filling the tank up :)
    Please read the link below, there are some very valuable info for you to start your first marine tank.
    Also, don't just trust any petshop - they'll sell you outdated stuff and might give you wrong info just to get your cash. Ask us here first, our advice is free and we have a lot of experience here ;)
    Please have a look at our sponsors as well, they know their stuff and will gladly put you on the right track :)
    Go bug Lanzo at Dorry Pets - he'll help you out.
    Also have a look in the members systems and setups forum - go through some threads and have a look at the guys sumps and fitration.

7. crispin

crispin

Hello dune welcome to masa :)

great to hear about that tank, lovely size and gives you lots of options, well done on gettinga decent size tank to start off with! Congrats.

Why not list some of the equipment you have and post a few pics on the set up, sometimes its a little confusing getting everything all set up and running right and its worth getting a second opinion on what you are doing. Masa has a great collective knowledge and experience and we will do all we can to help you out:)

Do you have a RO unit? i really suugest you fill that tank with RO and salt, do not use tap water and synthetic salt.

As tobes said, Dory pets is close to you and lanzo has a lovely tank around your size, so go have a look at the set up he has and what he has achieved. Dont be daunted by all his equipment as he has a number of reactors and things which you wont need in the beginning and can be added later, but seeing a tank like that will give you a great grounding on how water recircuilates and how waste is processed through the differnt means:)

good luck, welcome and happy postings

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Dune! Great to have you on-board!

If you don't mind me asking - could you please list the EXACT components that you have "received"?

We could easily spot, and give advise, LONG before you actually put lifestock into the tank, that you might be letting yourself in for more than you could "chew" ;)

Rather had some advise upfront, than having to struggle with nuisance algae's, very high nutrients, and possibly dying lifestock.....

9. nathen

nathen

Hey guy welcome must say you braver than i am i spend 4 months reading and visting the lfs asking q before i bought anything and still feel like i just scratched the surface ........ If even that

but that me saying hi guy

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Dune13, where in Pretoria are you?
    I'm busy setting up a 850L display. You are more than welcome to come around one afternoon or on the weekend to steal some ideas. :)

I'm in Moreleta Park. Just a stone throw away from the Mini Pick 'n Pay.

Just PM me if interested.

11. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome welcome

12. brandonb

brandonb

welcometomasa

13. Dune13

Dune13 Thread Starter

Hi .... Thanks for all the welcomes. Did feel welcome indeed. Ok ... the additional equipment that I've got is listed below:

Sump filter unit - Approximately 600 x 600 x 600
    2 x Heaters
    Protein skimmer (Make and type not clear)
    Filter pump
    Chiller Unit
    A huge lightning unit, consisting of 8 tubes. (Types also not clear but been told its 4 different types of lightning)
    Then also a variety of other pumps that is placed inside the tank.

I do have an idea how it all gets together eventually but I figured the first help I do need is the following:

1. What is the best filter mediums that I must use in the sump filter ? I've been told live rock is the best ?? What is the best combination of mediums or substrates ect ?

2. Ok then - Water, reverse osmosis filters, salt type ect. Tell me more please ...

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to our forum

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

my invite still stands...

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome

17. Viper

Viper

Welcome to MASA !

18. xtreme

xtreme

welcome Dune!!!!!!!!

19. seank

seank

A Warm welcome

20. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

21. PeterL

PeterL

Welcome Dune13, you are starting off well, ask first then do. All the new guys, includin myself jumped in with both feet first then asked questions...so well done on the good start:thumbup:

I have been doing a lot of reading on MASA and RiaanP (not blowing smoke buddy - but I like your style and it works) seems to know one or two things more than the avaerage Joe about this stuff, you won't go wrong by getting together with him and having a chat and getting him on your side with regards to moving forward.

Recent Posts