New to a marine tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Douglas, 1 Jun 2010.

1. Douglas

Douglas

Hi all i have decided to get started with Boyu hx600 its a 120l litre tank, got the water in today, had some problems with lights as it kept tripping out the rest of the power ( still dont have it sorted out):(
    Another thing i am not to sure of is where do i put the protien skimmer:whistling: yes it does sound dumb LOL but not sure if its on the inside of the tank as the instructions dont say much.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Hi and welcome.
    Do you have a sump with your system? if not what filtration system are you using?

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

5. Douglas

Douglas Thread Starter

All is built in, submersible pump pulls water up then it goes through 4 compartments, looks like charcaol in the first, sponge then some white stuff then sponge again then back into the tank

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

welcome to MASA dude
    with the lights, keep probing for a problem, check if anything electric is wet.
    with the skimmer, some skimmers hang on back of tanks, some sit in the sump and some sit outside the tank(usually moer cool and expensive ones), giving us a model name or pics will help

7. Douglas

Douglas Thread Starter

I know its a Boyu, not expensive at all like R180 it has suckers on it so i thought maybe it should go inside,will load a pic tommo with that of tank, also not sure if i will be needing anything else than what the tank came with,i have purchased 2 water fans to create flow but have only put 1 in.Could sand rock become live rock?Would love a reef tank

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

What exactly does it say on the box? model number? im kinda curious here as most skimmers are pretty self explanitory:p and what do you mean by sand rock? if you mean sandstone then no, some good quality base rock(calcium carbonate rock from the ocean which is dried) can potentially become as good as live rock yes :thumbup: Remeber take any advice from your LFS with a pinch of salt:p

9. Douglas

Douglas Thread Starter

Sitting at work at the moment but will have it all for you tommo.How long should i run my tank, got my water from the oceanarium, was hoping that would speed the system up, and should i run with my lights on in the beginning stages continously or not?Ok these rocks i have are very heavy

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

O dear, very heavy rocks means that they are very dense and not porous at all so u might have sandstone there, its mostly just silica sand and inert, but yes i think getting the water from the local public aquarium will speed up cycling process, some of the gurus have will advise you better bout the lights and cycling though :thumbup:

11. Douglas

Douglas Thread Starter

OK where can i get the rock i am needing, can i get it from the beach or what?Can i just like break a piece off and put it into the tank or not?If yes should i do that now while my tank is starting up?

12. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Dude, im 3rd year geology and would only bore u :p ask in pet shops if they have marine base rock, it usually looks like a load of hard corals fused together and generally grey, the less dense it is the better, by density i mean how heavy is it compared to how big it actually is, less dense = more porous which = more anerobic areas in the rock which form the biological filtration we strive to acheive :thumbup:

13. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Hey douglas, where do you stay? Maybe someone can come help you to sort out the stuff and give you a hand in how things work...

14. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

15. robertkukla

robertkukla

[​IMG]

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Douglas, glad you joined. Like mentioned, tell us where you live so that we can point you in the right direction - sponsor wise :)
    Just a heads up, taking liverock from the ocean/rockpools/beach is illegal and you could facea heafty fine.
    Read the link in my signature - great info on starting a marine tank - it tells you all about the cycle, lights, etc.

17. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

[​IMG]

Recent Posts