New tl -550

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Henkart, 23 Mar 2011.

1. Henkart

Henkart

HI GUYS

I just bought a TL 550 BOYU

I HAVE JUST FINISHED SETIING UP

RO water

SALT CONTENT - STILL NEED TO TEST THOUGH

I bought a frence product that has 2 parts to get my bacteria up to speed, they recon i can start getting som fishies in 2 weeks...

PLease give me some advise, i am lost at this stage...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mastazee

Mastazee

Welcome to MASA. and congrats on joining the boyu club:thumbup:.

The best advice i can give you is dont rush it. I always believed in waiting a month at least before adding a fish. two weeks for easy to keep soft coral.

Hang on and enjoy the ride

4. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

Nice tank

Nice setup - its looks just like mine... he he, its just i have sand

The pet shop owner told me that, i can add live rock in a weeks time from getting my salt water level right...

Does that sound right...

:blush:

5. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome Henkart ! Take it slow is the best advice I can give you.

As for adding LR , you should add it sooner than later. If you added your Salt & RO (and mixed it according to instructions ) your SG should be almost spot on.

You can now add your LR to start the cycling process and get those good bacteria levels going

Henkart likes this.
  6. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

How many

How many fish could i get to live comfortably in the TL-550?

im just looking for a few community fish, no predators...

PLEASE give me a bit of starting up tips

7. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

Sorry for my ignorance, what is LR...

I got 2 boxes with 6 viles each, one is for bacteria, and the other one is to trap something in the water for the bacteria

please help if you can...

8. FransSny

FransSny

Henkart , what is the product called...maybe I can help then.

LR = Live Rock

Also have a look at this thread...will answer some questions

Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

9. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to MASA. I would suggest you read @Tobes link to get you started. It is full of information which you will find very useful. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Henkart likes this.
  10. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

THE PRODUCT I CALLED BIO DIGEST FROM PRODIBIO

is it any good?

11. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

IF MY S\G is too high

how do i get it lower...

12. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Pour in more RO to dilute it.

Henkart likes this.
  13. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

Test

How long after dilution can i do a S/G test?

14. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Give it a couple of minutes to mix and you should be good

15. Dane

Dane

Hey Henkart, welcome to MASA! And congratulations on getting started with the most addictive hobby in the world!

From what I've read already I must warn you - DO NOT TAKE THE ADVICE OF YOUR LFS AS GOSPEL. There are a few good ones out there (many of them are sponsors on here. A tip here, if they ever say no - you cant buy that, or no - you dont need that - then its a good sign), but most of them are just out to make cash. I would not recommend a cycle-less start to a beginner. The product he has given you is a bacterial supplement, and bacteria dosing is one of the ways which reefers can control nutrient loads. However, it can be a delicate act to play, and again - not a technique I would recommend to a newbie, unless you had a friend or experienced reefer to show you the ropes right through the process.

You must prep your water (sounds like you're nearly there) and once the salinity & temp is correct then you can add your live rock. What will follow this is your tanks first "cycle", the addition of waste products from the decaying life in your live rock will fuel a small bacterial cycle (with blooms, as the bacteria play catch up with your nutrients), its gonna get ugly in there for a while. You will have red slime (cyanobacteria) and other organisms which live off the waste blossoming. During this time the water quality will not be very good, and you should not keep fish in the tank during this stage. Some very hardy corals, like xenia, mushrooms or zoanthids can handle a cycle. Once your cyano has receeded somewhat and the tank is starting to look a little better and your tests are showing that your waste levels have decreased (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) then you can think about adding a fish. The cycle process can take several weeks or more, so I really recommend, as will everyone except your local fish store, that you marshall your patience on this one.

Henkart likes this.
  16. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

thanks for that reply, I am stilllost on a few aspects, but im starting to get a warm feeling about everything...

Patience is clearly needed...

17. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

Steps

Please give me the steps to get to adding fish into a brand new tank - please

NEWBIE - I KNOW NOTHING

Here is what i do know

THAT one should use RO water rather than regular tap water - because of water impurities

I know that the salt level needs to be right , to reduce stress on the fish

i know you need bacteria in the tank (BUT DON'T quite understand how to get bacteria) and to test the bacteria

PLEASE HELP

I know how to switch to lamps of the tank on...

He he

Last edited: 23 Mar 2011
  18. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Its still way too early, you need to give your tank at least a month to cycle. All that will happen is you risk killing your fish if you introduce them too early.

You need to understand that you are creating a biotope here, everything relies on everything else in order to establish a healthy aquarium. Thats not going to happen if you just dive into it. In fact its not going to happen at all if you dont even have Live Rock in the setup. LR is the backbone or foundation of the system, you HAVE to have it otherwise you may as well stop now.

You must read the thread Fransy posted. Its important.

19. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

circlating jets

my circlation jets, should tha be paralel to th tank or facing down into the tank...

hope this makes sence

20. Henkart

Henkart Thread Starter

please have a look at above

21. Dane

Dane

Actually, the best thing to have in a tank is fairly random flow, you dont want a linear blast. The easiest way to acheive this is to have two pumps facing each other. In the TL550 to restrict flow a little you might want one on either side, then face slightly upwards and towards the same point. Ie: one in each back corner, facing towards the top of the front plate or front centre. However, every setup is different, and depending on your scape (how you arrange your rock) you will have to tweak it till you find the best spot.

The TL550 has 125L of water. Its an all-in-one, so without a sump you don't have that much water volume. I would err on the understocking side myself - so I would recommend a clown pair and maybe one or two other fish. There is no simple answer to how many fish, as each have different temperaments, compatabilities etc. While you are waiting for your tank to cycle you will have plenty of time to research the different fish that interest you and see what works best together. liveaquaria have a relatively easy to use guide for fish temperament, ease of care etc. Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums But again, you should err on the side of caution - ie: focus on the "easy" fish now.

Recent Posts