New Tank

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Ok I have had my tank running for about 5 months now 4 of those was with out fish to allow the tank to mature.

now It appears i am having a bit of an Algea(sp) problem in the tank.
The Algea does not look like grass or anythign like that it seems to be more of a slimy Dark Brown.

Done the usuall checks but everythign seems to be fine.

Also at the moment I just have live rocks setup in the tank no corals as yet due to the Algea problem don't want to spend lots of cash only to have em die.

and one last thing I am looking to re-design the lay out of my tank to allow maximum cover for my 2 Clown fish as well as decide what corals I want to add into the tank to be nice to look at.

Upload pics if you can. It could be cyano bacteria which is not an algae. Good flow should sort that out.

Hi and welcome! What did you test for and what werre the readings when you last checked? ps tell us more about the tank eg size and specs, and PICS!!

What kind of filtration do you run eg. skimmer, dsb, cheato/caulerpa, po4 reactor etc? Like Gaboon said, if it is cyano flow could be the issue but nutrients would still be needed!

howdy will try and make a plan to get some pics up by this weekend.
taking some water to my local pet store could be that i have been messing up on the water tests :)

A very WARM Welcome to MASA DarkSun! Yes please - pics please.

The guys have mentioned it - it seems to be some sort of cyano - which is a bacteria, and not an algae.....
Some things already mentioned:
- increase in in-tank water flow (add some more power-heads, ie SEIO's)
- run some phosphate remover (you are possibly over-feeding)
- use some iodine in low dosages

Please tell us what size skimmer you are running?
Also, how often are you feeding, and what are you feeding?

Welcome to the forum. Have you got any pumps inside the tank for water flow?

No pumps inside the tank

I have the basic setup that comes with the nano tank.
i feed em in the morning and in the evening.

Hi DarkSun - ok:
Do the following:
- try and get a SEIO M-820 somewhere - this will offer MORE than enough flow
- reduce your feeding to once a day only - marine fish really don't have to feed that often
- get some SeaChem PhosGuard and put it in a filter-sock (or stocking) in you filtration area
- remove the noodles/bio-balls from your nano
- do a few bigger water changes more often...
Do all this over a month / 2 month period...

This could of course always just be part of the cycle of the tank....and except for reducing feeding, you can try and wait it out.... another 4 weeks or so....

Will give it a bash and see how it goes.
i did do a water change this past weekend so maybe needs to take a little time to get it going.

Back
Top Bottom